Beefing up a 10R80

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sooo . . . my trans went kaput after 21K total miles, with about 7K of those boosted. I knew from the beginning of boost this was a possibility.

Ordered a new trans from a local Ford Dealer (gave me a discount since I have been a past customer).

So I am going to tear down this new Ford 10R80 trans, install the Sun Coast upgrade kit (got if from Beefcake) with X-tra capacity clutches and the new GPZ fiber clutches.

I also have the Tuning Schools manual for modifying the trans for increased line pressure, shift points, shift firmness, etc.

Since I have a full machine shop, I intend to see if there are any additional things I can do to add even more clutches (machine the apply pistons for instance).

I'll tune the trans using the Tuning Schools software to tune for a boost application.

Hopefully when done I'll have a tough enough trans to handle my boosted Coyote.

If anyone is interested I can post pics as we go.
Sponsored

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
Please post as you go

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
The Suncoast kit has the extra drum capacity, no need to machine. Terry has had really good results with that kit. If you do a thermal bypass consider doing an external mishimito tstat. When I did mine the trans would run to cold, I think it caused damage being to cold (like less than 100 in the winter). I use the external with a 160 tstat and it hangs out around 170 in the hot air, heats a little on a hit and recovers.

Also, new valve body strategy, I have a tread on how to with forscan. Some say it will cause damage if you don't do it, some say it doesn't matter.

Mach1soldier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2020 f150 EB
Post away. Would love to see pics.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have the Forscan software on my laptop and I'll download the appropriate solenoid strategy when the time comes.

Sponsored

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Curious why you couldn't build the transmission that is currently in the car? Why the need for a new transmission?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Definitely post pics and info as you go, because it will definitely be helpful to any 10R80 owner.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
Yes, pics and info Please.

BD

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have a great friend with an excellent, 2 post lift. We discussed the trans swap and I think it would be better to pull and reinstall the same day.

Besides, I would feel better with a spare trans, just in case. I have a spare long block, so a spare trans makes sense. I am going to build the original trans as a spare right after we get the new trans installed.

Built a simple adapter so I can mount the trans on my engine stand.

Received the Suncoast upgrade kit today, so the plan is to tear down this new trans and upgrade over the weekend. Once installed, I will download the solenoid strategy, then tune the trans for boost with the Tuning School software

IMG_0520.JPG

IMG_0521 transmission 2.JPG

Sponsored

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
just curious,weather it be a 10 or 6 speed auto
How much stronger can they be made,its really has some small looking parts
in there

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
10spd.

Great decision on the spare. That's what I did as well. I have a built one on standby. I promised myself to stay 10spd (street car), and then changed it slightly, if I can keep it on the street year round with no more than a rebuild a year I won't go the th400 route.

I might try to rebuild the next one myself, also maybe get a lift at some point. Even with heavy duty jack stands it isn't high enough to roll out on the trans jack.

OP
OP
schmeky

schmeky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
A few pics for fun:

1st photo draining and saving the new Ford factory ULV Trans fluid.
2nd photo shows the valve body and fluid pump removed
3rd photo shows the special External Torx head bolts that hold the stator in place

The adapter I made for holding the trans on my rotisserie engine stand works wonderfully.

IMG_0531.JPG

IMG_0533.JPG

IMG_0534 transmission 3.JPG

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious and not sure if you have looked (yet), but is your VIN on the transmission anywhere or the valve body?
Sponsored