Ways to warm up 10r80 after Cooling mod

fike_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT (Kona Blue)
Does anyone have the cooling mod installed on their 10r80 valve body from Richardson Racing? (Bypass valve open 24/7)

I installed it to help keep the temps more in check and safe. Unforeseen side effect is that it takes forever to get up to 140* where I would like to start my passes. lol

Just looking for a potential way to get it warmed up to temp without just letting it idle for the whole time.

Would highly recommend the mod for anyone that races their 10r80 though. 3 pulls in a row on the street only raised my temps from 142-160*. Car does still have the factory cooler and a secondary cooler under the rear of the car.
Sponsored

Ramairetransam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 s550
can you install a heating pad on the bottom of the trans? or a heat element on the pan and then plug it into 12v.

OP
OP
fike_s550

fike_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT (Kona Blue)
can you install a heating pad on the bottom of the trans? or a heat element on the pan and then plug it into 12v.
Possibly, I may have to go that route. A normal 40 mile drive only gets the trans up to 135* lol

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Perhaps you could install some sort of electrically actuated shut-off valve in the cooler line and turn it on and off?

v guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RP
Vehicle(s)
99 SVT
Shutting it off is the only solution.

I am sure that there options to do that.............many factory oil coolers are temp activated. Open it up at 150* or disconnect it manually, until temps rise.

Physics is a bitch.

Sponsored

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I'm not sure how you have your lines plumbed up with both your stock front cooler and your remote rear cooler but I have a remote rear cooler and I use an external thermostat at the outlet of the trans.
https://www.improvedracing.com/high-flow-engine-transmission-oil-cooler-thermostat.html

You can select different activation temps. I use the FSM-145 (Starts opening up at 140F with full flow at 163F).

Expensive for what it is IMO but I'm not aware of anyone making a lower rated internal thermostat for the valve body. That'll be the ideal solution.....I might look into that actually

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
Last edited:

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Remove the rear cooler as it's clearly not needed, and maybe have something that blocks off the front cooler while it warms up. Then take it off before racing so it cools.
Sponsored