BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
FYI, I had Walmart deliver 5W-30 Ultra Platinum and it says API SN PLUS.
image1.jpeg
Is it also Dexos Gen2? When I bought mine only the Plat also had that certification. Not necessary but I like my new fancy labels. Plus the oil has been treating the car well.
Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Is it also Dexos Gen2? When I bought mine only the Plat also had that certification. Not necessary but I like my new fancy labels. Plus the oil has been treating the car well.
No, I did not see that label on the bottle.

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I stated above my tick seemed to be less and less. Well today my ā€˜tickā€™ came back full power, as loud as ever. I tried turning off and on like I mentioned above and couldnā€™t get it to stop. What a dam racket. Today was the first time I drove around embarrassed to be in my mustang. I knew anyone I was passing in the parking garage could hear it, even over the sport mode on the active exhaust.

Why didnā€™t the dealership show me this ā€˜normalā€™ operating feature of the mustang before they took my money? Whether this caused any damage or not, itā€™s pathetic, and sucks the joy out of owning this brand new car.

ValidusTalon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP + FRPP2
Posting a photo I took in humor related to this topic... so please take it that way... but also in seriousness as the Ceratec, for me, has simply become something I plan for. Also, the bottle(s) of Penzoil Platinum Plus (I prefer 5W30) say SN Plus on mine as well (ordered from Walmart)....with that, I present to you... "Mustang Oil Change Kit" :) This is what I am using currently and am prepping for another change... no ticks, rattles, etc... (note I did have the "tick" after my first oil change... Ceratec took care of it)...
Coyote_BasedMustang_OilChangeKit.png

HermanGerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Olaf
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2018 AT
Vehicle Showcase
Posting a photo I took in humor related to this topic... so please take it that way... but also in seriousness as the Ceratec, for me, has simply become something I plan for. Also, the bottle(s) of Penzoil Platinum Plus (I prefer 5W30) say SN Plus on mine as well (ordered from Walmart)....with that, I present to you... "Mustang Oil Change Kit" :) This is what I am using currently and am prepping for another change... no ticks, rattles, etc... (note I did have the "tick" after my first oil change... Ceratec took care of it)...
Right you are Sir!

Sponsored

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
you guys are nutts lol stop sitting next to walls and repeatedly starting and stopping your engines lol .. go enjoy your ride.. if mine starts to tick its a reminder to drive it harder, quiet as a mouse after that!!

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
you guys are nutts lol stop sitting next to walls and repeatedly starting and stopping your engines lol .. go enjoy your ride.. if mine starts to tick its a reminder to drive it harder, quiet as a mouse after that!!
after you get the tick let us know how you enjoy your car.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
After I got new short block, I poured in a bottle of ceratec shortly after. Just gave it enough miles for piaton rings to break in.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
I stated above my tick seemed to be less and less. Well today my ā€˜tickā€™ came back full power, as loud as ever. I tried turning off and on like I mentioned above and couldnā€™t get it to stop. What a dam racket. Today was the first time I drove around embarrassed to be in my mustang. I knew anyone I was passing in the parking garage could hear it, even over the sport mode on the active exhaust.

Why didnā€™t the dealership show me this ā€˜normalā€™ operating feature of the mustang before they took my money? Whether this caused any damage or not, itā€™s pathetic, and sucks the joy out of owning this brand new car.
Sorry to hear this. Just use ceratec. That's what I do. I did not have the tick when I started using it on a new block, but on my prev. short block it did help.

Sponsored

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Sorry to hear this. Just use ceratec. That's what I do. I did not have the tick when I started using it on a new block, but on my prev. short block it did help.
Yeah, it may sound better but in my head I still know I got screwed by Ford. I was shown a Mustang that didnā€™t have the tick feature, and after 700 miles it showed up. With their pathetic TSB now, I cannot get a dealer to look into it, and itā€™s going to make the path to any recourse impossible as theyā€™re hiding behind a TSB.

As far as Iā€™m concerned, Ford is pulling a bait and switch. If it didnā€™t tick the day I bought it, and then it starts after I hand them the cash, and they wonā€™t own up to fixing. Thatā€™s bait and switch.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
6042F265-C924-4DEE-B329-7DEFCE6FBA51.jpeg
Just changed my oil after 8200mi, 6 months, running Mobil 1, 5w-30 with a bottle of ceratec added in. Oil looked normal and I donā€™t believe the ceratec has had any affect on the color of the oil. Running 10w-30 Mobile 1 for this change btw. I will see if the tick comes back before I add any additional ceratec.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
6042F265-C924-4DEE-B329-7DEFCE6FBA51.jpeg
Just changed my oil after 8200mi, 6 months, running Mobil 1, 5w-30 with a bottle of ceratec added in. Oil looked normal and I donā€™t believe the ceratec has had any affect on the color of the oil. Running 10w-30 Mobile 1 for this change btw. I will see if the tick comes back before I add any additional ceratec.
ceratec is not visiible on "shallow" oil samples.

put your used oil in a container like a glass and report.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
ceratec is not visiible on "shallow" oil samples.

put your used oil in a container like a glass and report.
Right now the 10qts of used oil is sitting in a Sam's plastic 4 or 5 gallon plastic laundry bucket...Perfect size for draining the oil in the Mustang BTW. Looks normal in the bucket but if I can find something small and clear I will take a visual sample. Notes after the 10w-30 Mobile 1 oil change...engine is noisy and the tick is there. Poured in the 1 bottle of Ceratec and the engine sounds perfect. Weird how 300ml poured into nearly 9500ml's or 3% mix will make such a difference.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Right now the 10qts of used oil is sitting in a Sam's plastic 4 or 5 gallon plastic laundry bucket...Perfect size for draining the oil in the Mustang BTW. Looks normal in the bucket but if I can find something small and clear I will take a visual sample. Notes after the 10w-30 Mobile 1 oil change...engine is noisy and the tick is there. Poured in the 1 bottle of Ceratec and the engine sounds perfect. Weird how 300ml poured into nearly 9500ml's or 3% mix will make such a difference.
apparently being in engine oil for extended time somehow works ceratec color out.

I drained mine just several hundred miles later and it was apparent oil had something weird in it as I was draining it.
Sponsored