BBQ Tick After Oil Change...

Macek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lukas
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Gt 2017 manual
Hello Everyone, I'm here from Poland, I have a Mustang 2017 gt manual. The engine tapping only on warm from 1200 rpm to 2300 rpm. After warming up and driving, it sometimes disappears and then again. Symptoms began after 2000 Miles will never exchange carbon. This is a typical tipic tic tic. The car has power and is normal except for tic.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
FWIW, my tick that started with a Royal Purple oil change has gone away after a few thousand miles.

I think I'll use Mobil 1 from now on.
Update;

The oil was changed yesterday, with Amazon.com's synthetic 5W-30, and there's no 2K RPM tick.

The Amazon oil is SPN+ rated, and tests better than Mobil1 for about 1/2 the price. I also used a K&N oil filter.

The engine burned no oil in getting down to 17% on the OLM, and the old oil looked pretty clean when draining out.

Last edited:

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
At 2300 miles and factory oil, my tick seems to becoming quieter, and not on every start.

Tonight I started and let idle next to brick wall. After 5 min, not a tick.

Shut car off and immediately started, and bam, tick tick tick.
Shut car off, start immediately, tick tick.
Shut car off , star immediately, NO tick.
Shut car off, start immediately NO tick
Shut car off, start immediately and tick tick tick.

I did this a number of times and it was hit or miss. Sometimes tick, sometimes no tick. Each time I allowed the engine to drop to lower idle, and AC was never on. It was like sometimes whatever is ticking is in phase, and other starts it’s not. Once car was up to full temp, tick was completely gone like usual.

I’m baffled how it’s obviously connected to oil, yet from one start to the next it can come and go? Like the oil flow, pressure or something falls in or out of phase from one ignition to the next.

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
At 2300 miles and factory oil, my tick seems to becoming quieter, and not on every star.

I did this a number of times and it was hit or miss. Sometimes tick, sometimes no tick. Each time I allowed the engine to drop to lower idle, and AC was never on. It was like sometimes whatever is ticking is in phase, and other starts it’s not. Once car was up to full temp, tick was completely gone like usual.

I’m baffled how it’s obviously connected to oil, yet from one start to the next it can come and go? Like the oil flow, pressure or something falls in or out of phase from one ignition to the next.
The 2018+ Coyote has an electronically controled variable output oil pump. I wonder if that has any bearing on what you were seeing.

If you drive the car to full operating temperature and did the same start/off cycles.test, would it still tick simetimes but not others?

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I will give it a try when the rains stop. Just weird that it was so definitively there, not there, and then back again.

I suspect I won’t be able to get it to tick as I’ve never heard it when up to full temp.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The 2018+ Coyote has an electronically controled variable output oil pump. I wonder if that has any bearing on what you were seeing.

If you drive the car to full operating temperature and did the same start/off cycles.test, would it still tick simetimes but not others?
A member here who is a tech, said that some ticking is due to something about an oil pump.

I don't know if the 2015-2017 GEN2 Coyotes also use the same oil pump.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
A member here who is a tech, said that some ticking is due to something about an oil pump.

I don't know if the 2015-2017 GEN2 Coyotes also use the same oil pump.
They do not. The 2018/2019 have a bypass solenoid that flips on to reduce oil pressure at idle and low rpms for fuel economy. This doesn't immediately flip on upon startup.

And anyways, I had the bbq for about 500 or 600 miles and now it's gone. Been gone. 5w30 pennzoil plat. I'll take it.

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
They do not. The 2018/2019 have a bypass solenoid that flips on to reduce oil pressure at idle and low rpms for fuel economy. This doesn't immediately flip on upon startup.
That would align with the fact my tick only starts once it drops idle. However how hard would it be for Ford to swap that solenoid and be done with this issue?

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
At 2300 miles and factory oil, my tick seems to becoming quieter, and not on every start.

I also observed that some of engine starts were tick free. 2017 my.

those had to be engine starts with time between them, not consecutive restarts.

Last edited:

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
That would align with the fact my tick only starts once it drops idle. However how hard would it be for Ford to swap that solenoid and be done with this issue?
Well, considering it's been a problem from the birth of the coyote, and the solenoid is new to the 2018+ MY, hard. It may have an influence, but it's definitely not the cause.

Sponsored

Mrmarkmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I had the bbq for about 500 or 600 miles and now it's gone. Been gone. 5w30 pennzoil plat. I'll take it.
Just to confirm, you’re running platinum, and not the ultra platinum? I noticed platinum has SN+, while Ultra doesn’t but read it will soon.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Just to confirm, you’re running platinum, and not the ultra platinum? I noticed platinum has SN+, while Ultra doesn’t but read it will soon.
Correct, Just the platinum for that very reason. I wanted the newest stuff.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Correct, Just the platinum for that very reason. I wanted the newest stuff.
FYI, I had Walmart deliver 5W-30 Ultra Platinum and it says API SN PLUS.
image1.jpeg

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Using SN Plus for LSPI issues or for some other reason?