PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
The BMS is there to make sure that the battery is properly charged and it can't do its job if you sneak in behind it and charge the battery directly at the battery terminals. If the BMS doesn't know you've charged the battery, then the BMS will charge it even more when you start the engine. The BMS is smart, but it's not psychic.
Wouldn't the BMS only come in to play while the engine and hence alternator is working. I know it also comes into play with the ignition off when the battery is getting low. This function would not kick in when a capable battery is getting charged from an outside source.
I think that the battery management system built into a quality battery tender would do a better job of looking after the battery when charging or maintaining.
Sponsored

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Wouldn't the BMS only come in to play while the engine and hence alternator is working. I know it also comes into play with the ignition off when the battery is getting low. This function would not kick in when a capable battery is getting charged from an outside source.
I think that the battery management system built into a quality battery tender would do a better job of looking after the battery when charging or maintaining.
It's powered by the battery and it runs all the time. It's the only system that knows everything about the battery from installation to replacement. A battery tender is only active when it's hooked up, so there's a lot it doesn't know about the battery. The BMS is always there, always watching and always trying to keep your battery as perfect as it can be.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
It's powered by the battery and it runs all the time. It's the only system that knows everything about the battery from installation to replacement. A battery tender is only active when it's hooked up, so there's a lot it doesn't know about the battery. The BMS is always there, always watching and always trying to keep your battery as perfect as it can be.
OK

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
I connect my pig tail direct to the battery and run the plug end out under the cover.
Then I tuck it under a wire loom until I conncet to the tender.
I do not see any problem with going straight to the battery, am I missing something?
Thanks
This is exactly what I do on all my cars and bikes. I have over a dozen charges set up and had no failures so don’t understand why do it any other way irrespective of opinion.
Not saying the other way is wrong, rather this is what I’ve done for decades and never had a issue.
Just sayin.

Last edited:

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
This is exactly what I do on all my cars and bikes. I have over a dozen charges set up and had no failures so don’t understand why do it any other way irrespective of opinion.
Yep. I have had my 2018 set up like you for nearly 3 years with no ill effects.

Sponsored

BULLITT Bill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang BULLITT, 2008 Mustang V-6, 2003 Chevy Silverado SS, 1997 Lincoln Town Car, 1972 Pontiac GTO, 1967 GTO
I had never heard of a Battery Current Sensor till recently on YouTube. I have several cars and over winter once a month I charge with a conventional charger on a low 3 amp setting. Up until now I was connecting directly to the battery but will follow the new way in the future. Thanks to those of you who posted pictures of the connections. Does anybody know how long these sensors have been used ?
I bought my 2019 BULLITT off the showroom floor in Feb. 2020. it had been there for 10 months and the battery was completely dead, they had to jump start it to drive it outside. I was concerned that the battery could be damaged, they of course offered to replace it if there is a problem. So far it's been fine.

Reactions: PKs

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
I had never heard of a Battery Current Sensor till recently on YouTube. I have several cars and over winter once a month I charge with a conventional charger on a low 3 amp setting. Up until now I was connecting directly to the battery but will follow the new way in the future. Thanks to those of you who posted pictures of the connections. Does anybody know how long these sensors have been used ?
I bought my 2019 BULLITT off the showroom floor in Feb. 2020. it had been there for 10 months and the battery was completely dead, they had to jump start it to drive it outside. I was concerned that the battery could be damaged, they of course offered to replace it if there is a problem. So far it's been fine.
It's probably not pooched if it holds a charge, but being left dead for a long time causes sulfation of the battery. It won't last as long as if this was never done to it.

That_Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 K2284 --> L616
Just out of curiosity, when did they start fitting this BMS into Mustangs?

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
Not saying the other way is wrong, rather this is what I’ve done for decades and never had a issue.
Just sayin.
My set-up is the same, since 2016, no issues, no warnings, original battery.

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
Mine is connected to the top one in pic and the ground on strut tower.
Yep…mine is too!! Easy peasy!!
Sponsored