OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Well I started my passion on ATC's in the early 80's as a kid and got Stupid crazy into them in the 90s during hay days. Have had several of them in magazines. Attached is my current build (finished in spring) and my build i did 20 years ago. You either know how special these are or you don't really 'know' ATC's. The one i built in 2000 was a laeger CR500 conversion, and the one i just finished is a BVC 2020 CRF450L conversion......STREET LEGAL! The ATC250R in the previous pic is my almost complete 'resto-mod', basically an 1982 ATC250r with 86 front clip and 2020 rear-end/shock. Always wanted an air-cooled 1st gen and this one is nothing short of amazing, love how it turned out.

450landcr500c.jpg

450landcr500b.jpg
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Drool.

As you're in OK, I assume you take them to Little Sahara?

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Ahhhhhh keep practicing with the aluminum. Make sure everything is clean when you weld it. Get some scrap and get to work! Butt welds and t joints. Practice practice practice! I tig weld aluminum for a living. Its one of the harder metals to weld but once you get the hang of it you'll love it.

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Drool.

As you're in OK, I assume you take them to Little Sahara?
Yes We go to little sahara several times a year and try and get to Glamis, CA every once in a while. While we started with ATC's and quads we got older and ride UTV's and sandrails now, but still kick a leg over the old bikes every now and then.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
And i am good at chucking up the tungsten and grinding a tip on my belt sander.......i assume that is acceptable....
Needs to be perfect and absolutely makes a difference. I forget which one I have but I see Eastwood has one now. I'd pick one up if you are serious.

Sponsored

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
As long as the belt sander you're using is for tungsten only you'll be fine. I approve of a dedicated tungsten grinder.

It's good practice prep your parts and treat every weld like it's going to be x rayed.

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As long as the belt sander you're using is for tungsten only you'll be fine. I approve of a dedicated tungsten grinder.

It's good practice prep your parts and treat every weld like it's going to be x rayed.
Yeah it is not, may have started that way but definately not now, so is grinding a tungsten with a contaminated sanding belt.......really bad......or just not good practice?

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Yeah it is not, may have started that way but definately not now, so is grinding a tungsten with a contaminated sanding belt.......really bad......or just not good practice?
When you grind tungsten on a sander that's been used on other metal you'll embed all that trash into the tungsten. Tungsten is considered a consumable. As you weld little microscopic pieces will get into the weld puddle. Depending on how serious the job is... especially nuclear. Those contaminated pieces will show up in the weld during an x ray. It could cause the test to fail.

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Needs to be perfect and absolutely makes a difference. I forget which one I have but I see Eastwood has one now. I'd pick one up if you are serious.
Well I need all the help i can get, just added a dedicated tungsten grinder to my list of things to buy.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Nice work! A running joke in my family is every time I buy a car the first question is, "so... is the battery in the trunk yet?". Oddly enough the 2016 is the first car I haven't relocated the battery yet - but it's on the list!
TIG is definitely an ah-ha! moment when you start to get it right. Even when you prep well it is still challenging. To me, TIG is like a puzzle, or a math problem, when you get frustrated and discouraged it's time to take a break. Your TIG ah-ha breakthrough moment will happen when you're level headed and just out practicing on some scrap material. I'm certainly no welding artist, but I can do well enough to finish a job and that's fine with me. The people who lay a perfect bead that looks like art just astonish me.

Sponsored
OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice work! A running joke in my family is every time I buy a car the first question is, "so... is the battery in the trunk yet?". Oddly enough the 2016 is the first car I haven't relocated the battery yet - but it's on the list!
TIG is definitely an ah-ha! moment when you start to get it right. Even when you prep well it is still challenging. To me, TIG is like a puzzle, or a math problem, when you get frustrated and discouraged it's time to take a break. Your TIG ah-ha breakthrough moment will happen when you're level headed and just out practicing on some scrap material. I'm certainly no welding artist, but I can do well enough to finish a job and that's fine with me. The people who lay a perfect bead that looks like art just astonish me.
Yeah this is my 3rd relocation, my 86 saleen, my 97 trans am, and now 2020 GT500....i mainly do it to clean up the engine bay, and all 3 I have done now, you CANNOT tell it is in the trunk.....hidden

I am waiting for that AH-HA moment for TIG

Reactions: XS

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Well I started my passion on ATC's in the early 80's as a kid and got Stupid crazy into them in the 90s during hay days. Have had several of them in magazines. Attached is my current build (finished in spring) and my build i did 20 years ago. You either know how special these are or you don't really 'know' ATC's. The one i built in 2000 was a laeger CR500 conversion, and the one i just finished is a BVC 2020 CRF450L conversion......STREET LEGAL! The ATC250R in the previous pic is my almost complete 'resto-mod', basically an 1982 ATC250r with 86 front clip and 2020 rear-end/shock. Always wanted an air-cooled 1st gen and this one is nothing short of amazing, love how it turned out.

450landcr500c.jpg

450landcr500b.jpg
soooo.. where can i find mods for my kids yamaha raptor 80 4wheeler (2008) i cant find anythign online.. i want new wheels and tires, and see if there are easier brake levers for him to reach

DonnieO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donnie
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt cs
Well I need all the help i can get, just added a dedicated tungsten grinder to my list of things to buy.

Find yourself some 2% lanthanated tungsten it has a blue painted tip. It's good for ac and dc. The best for ac is .8 zirconiated it has a white tip painted on the end.

OP
OP
protraxduner

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
soooo.. where can i find mods for my kids yamaha raptor 80 4wheeler (2008) i cant find anythign online.. i want new wheels and tires, and see if there are easier brake levers for him to reach
Well unfortunately the raptor 80/50/breeze was misfit of youth guads and never had an aftermarket support. I think the only thing your going to find is wheel spacers.