Junk in the trunk

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No, not the junk in the trunk you are thinking of......

This evening, I removed the subwoofer, bracket, tire inflator, trunk trim, and the deck which resulted in a 30 pound decrease. Who would have thought it would have resulted in that much weight. Im thinking of removing the passesnger seat, but i will need to get an airbag resistor to make that happen. That's about another 30 pounds....

I also removed the OEM lead battery and replaced with lithium and that saved about 27 pounds.

Screenshot_20201206-223830_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored

Snakebite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Nice. Did you happen to separately weigh the sub-woofer and associated hardware?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Nice. Did you happen to separately weigh the sub-woofer and associated hardware?
The actual subwoofer isn't bad, the steel bracket for it is almost as heavy. The two combined are significant. If you'd like, I can weigh them for you.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
"He ain't heavy, he's my brother." 🎵🎵 :cool:
I'm on a roll, lol. I should remove the pax seat. I'll see about getting an airbag resistor.

Sponsored

Snakebite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
The actual subwoofer isn't bad, the steel bracket for it is almost as heavy. The two combined are significant. If you'd like, I can weigh them for you.
Thanks Tom, and no, don't go through the hassle of weighing those components. I was just curious.

There was previous discussion about the weight savings if one did not order the Tech Package.

I read one source that claimed those components weighed nearly 40 lbs. on the S197 premium sound system.

Based on your info, it looks like <30 lb. savings for the Tech Pkg.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Tom, and no, don't go through the hassle of weighing those components. I was just curious.

There was previous discussion about the weight savings if one did not order the Tech Package.

I read one source that claimed those components weighed nearly 40 lbs. on the S197 premium sound system.

Based on your info, it looks like <30 lb. savings for the Tech Pkg.
The rest of the tech pack is not much of a difference. The speakers they use are just OEM (I hate to use the word) junk. I removed and replaced the rear speakers in the yellow R, the OEM were extremely light. The ones that I replaced them with were quite a bit heavier, and they sounded real good.

I think the B&O sound system is just a name that Ford bought into.

So what else is there???? BLIS..... That can't weigh much.... So yes, I would estimate the electronic pack adds about 30 pounds.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
The rest of the tech pack is not much of a difference. The speakers they use are just OEM (I hate to use the word) junk. I removed and replaced the rear speakers in the yellow R, the OEM were extremely light. The ones that I replaced them with were quite a bit heavier, and they sounded real good.

I think the B&O sound system is just a name that Ford bought into.

So what else is there???? BLIS..... That can't weigh much.... So yes, I would estimate the electronic pack adds about 30 pounds.
Looking forward to seeing your striped car on Friday...Maybe an adult beverage at the end of the day??

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Looking forward to seeing your striped car on Friday...Maybe an adult beverage at the end of the day??
I researched the airbag resistor. It's a little late in the game to mess with something that I don't know exactly what I'm doing, so 2 seats it is. People are going to see the extra seat and want rides. I hate saying no, but in times of covid, that passenger seat will be empty.

We are overdue for a beverage, but I am still doing the social distancing thing. If we can keep to that, sure, it would be great. I'm glad they did the drivers meeting via video. If they were going to pack 200 people into that room again, I was not going to attend.

16Kobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
We are overdue for a beverage, but I am still doing the social distancing thing. If we can keep to that, sure, it would be great. I'm glad they did the drivers meeting via video. If they were going to pack 200 people into that room again, I was not going to attend.
Both track events drivers meetings I attended earlier in the year have been by video.

We will definitely practice the social distancing....
Sponsored