Battery charging

jabberwoki

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
69 428 CJ Mach 1 , 2020 gt350
So as we know you cannot use the negative terminal .
On the shock tower there is a ground connection , can that be used or does the fact that the wiring harness is directly connected to it put in the same category as the negative terminal?

thumbnail (1).jpg
Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
What's the reasoning you can't connect a battery tender across the battery?

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
What's the reasoning you can't connect a battery tender across the battery?
I think mainly due to the negative terminal on the battery should never be used, as it can cause spark and lead to explosion or fire. Perhaps it's more related to older batteries than modern ones.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I've just been using one of the strut bolts. Seems to work fine.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Hmmm, most battery tenders instruct you to connect to the positive and negative terminals on the battery.

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Mine is connected to the shock tower as in your illustration. The reason for not connecting across both battery terminals is this:

From The 2020 Mustang Service Manual

Battery Charging

When charging the vehicle battery by connecting the charger to engine or chassis ground, the negative charger clamp must be connected to an unpainted chassis surface or a solid engine component such as a generator mount or engine lifting eye. In this instance, after charging, the BMS Reset is not required. Through this method of charging the BCM updates the battery state of charge during the charging process.

When charging the vehicle battery by connecting the charger to the negative battery terminal is necessary, such as when using a combination battery charger and battery tester/analyzer, like the GR 1 190 V3.0 Intelligent Diagnostic Charger, the BCM does not immediately update the battery state of charge. In this instance, the BMS Reset must be carried out using a diagnostic scan tool. This reset is needed for proper engine off load shedding and to prevent invoking of engine off load shedding earlier than normal.

If the reset is not carried out, when the battery is charged by connecting the charger to the negative battery terminal, it takes approximately 8 hours for the BCM to learn the new battery state of charge.

During this 8 hour period, the vehicle must be undisturbed, with no doors opened or keyless entry button presses. If the vehicle is used before the BCM is allowed to learn the new battery state of charge, engine off load shedding can still occur and a message may be displayed.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
Yep, it'll work fine, just red first, then black, then plug it in. Battery tending and boosting are two different things.
Wait so red is first? I always thought black (negative) should be first since that is ground and won't give you current

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Positive is nothing without the ground. :)

Wait so red is first? I always thought black (negative) should be first since that is ground and won't give you current

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Hmmm, most battery tenders instruct you to connect to the positive and negative terminals on the battery.
Yes. My CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 instruction said the same. But my other cars manuals said to connect negative to the body ground. First I did as the CTEK instruction(negative and positive to the battery terminal) but then I changed negative to the strut bolt. Works fine either way but I want to be on the safe side.

Sponsored

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
So as we know you cannot use the negative terminal .
On the shock tower there is a ground connection , can that be used or does the fact that the wiring harness is directly connected to it put in the same category as the negative terminal?

thumbnail (1).jpg
That is where I attached my CTEK ground. I believe if you attach there, the current flowing to the battery is picked up by the sensor on the negative battery cable and updates the current state of charge. Or I have just gotten lucky and haven't had any issues with the smart charging system. I did this based on what I read in my service manual - same as what @Postal Bob posted.

Deleted member 35644

" If the vehicle is used before the BCM is allowed to learn the new battery state of charge, engine off load shedding can still occur and a message may be displayed. "

Is this just a GT350 thing? My Ecoboost sits untouched for weeks at a time, and occasionally I charge the battery, and then take it for a drive. I've never seen a message about load shedding.

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
" If the vehicle is used before the BCM is allowed to learn the new battery state of charge, engine off load shedding can still occur and a message may be displayed. "

Is this just a GT350 thing? My Ecoboost sits untouched for weeks at a time, and occasionally I charge the battery, and then take it for a drive. I've never seen a message about load shedding.
I don't know. I know that other GT350 folks directly attach to the battery terminals and don't have problems either. Maybe there is no "right" way to do it!

Sagittaria

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R

As everyone else pointed out — the same applies for any smart charge/battery management system (BMS) Ford or any other manufacturer that isn't using an old school dumb charging system including GM. I haven't seen the message on the mustang but during my data logs after the car sitting on a maintainer for a month and going immediately for a drive — I have noticed that the car charges at almost 15V. AKA the car thinks that battery went dead even thought it's been charged.

This isn't a terrible thing... a little harder on the battery. Traditional dumb charging systems are definitely much less flexible and are apt to overvoltage scenarios. Part of the reason for a BMS is to extend the life of a battery by supplying the best possible power at the correct time.. difference between a Battery Tender and a dumb Trickle Charger for example.

As a few other folks pointed out — there is a BMS inductive ring sensor on the ground cable that helps the car determine the battery's state of charge (SOC). Many GM vehicles uses the same style system. Placing the maintainer after this sensor like on the strut tower helps the car take into account the extra power.

However I've still found the Ford documentation to still be applicable even with the above. Disconnecting the maintainer and waiting for the car overnight to recalculate the batteries actual SOC prevents the car from charging at 100%... but I haven't had an issue just going for a drive immediately.. just harder on the battery for a day.

PXL_20210108_193331420_2 - Copy.jpg

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I attach my battery charger and/or tender directly to the positive (first) and negative (last) terminals on the battery. No problems at all so far. My car has been connected to the charger for the past month and a half.
Sponsored