xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
horizontal mill and indexer?
Vertical mill and an indexer. I should have a video out this week sometime with more details.

I purchased the tooling from Advent tooling, so that it created an actual involute form spline.

https://adventtoolusa.com/

Thanks,
Tim
Sponsored

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
Does Anybody have any experience converting the front struts to coil overs? I have Steeda adjustable shocks and springs all around that I really like. But my spindle design is going to require an adjustable spring perch. I would like to just add an an adjuster sleeve to my existing struts and put on some 2.5in coil over springs.

??

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda has coilover version of their pro-actions. Currently I'm running a pair of Fortune Auto 510 up front.

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
Steeda has coilover version of their pro-actions. Currently I'm running a pair of Fortune Auto 510 up front.
Yes, I am going to give them a call today. I was trying to be cheap :)

It looks like the Steeda struts (Koni) are 54mm OD, so many standard sleeves won't fit. There is also not much strut above the spring perch.

Tim

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Loved the XR4ti, then and now. Very, very thin on the ground in my area. There used to be one around the corner from my house (not in good repair at all) but that is the only one I have seen for many years. It was a shame that Ford dropped the ball on the marketing side and it turned into an expensive sales failure in North America. I think a V6 engine choice may have helped. An AWD Mustang project is cool and I will be watching this thread to see how you manage.

Sponsored

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
Thanks for the great information. That gives me some ideas.

I spoke with Steeda about my current setup and what I want to do. They said that it was not a good idea to put a linear spring in the front and keep the progressive I have in the back. Thus, I need to replace all the springs.

It might just make sense to sell what I have now and buy a completely new setup.

That being said, I think I have found tubes that will fit over the stock style Steeda front struts.

A1 coil over sleeve

baazooka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 6MT
Thanks for the great information. That gives me some ideas.

I spoke with Steeda about my current setup and what I want to do. They said that it was not a good idea to put a linear spring in the front and keep the progressive I have in the back. Thus, I need to replace all the springs.

It might just make sense to sell what I have now and buy a completely new setup.

That being said, I think I have found tubes that will fit over the stock style Steeda front struts.

A1 coil over sleeve
noob here, but isn't the ford racing springs a linear front and rear progressive combo?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I run linear front and Steeda DR rear FWIW. I think Steeda is blowing smoke. BUt it would be helpful to know how the rate changes (at which compression distances) and how the sag is at rest.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I run linear front and Steeda DR rear FWIW. I think Steeda is blowing smoke. BUt it would be helpful to know how the rate changes (at which compression distances) and how the sag is at rest.
Surely you aren't suggesting Steeda would rather sell 4 springs than 2?

Sponsored
OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
Thanks for all of the great feedback. I was thinking the same thing, just get the front together and proved out before trying to dial in all of the springs.

It seems to convert my struts to coil overs I would need the following parts:

https://www.a1racing.com/A1_Racing_Products_12452H_5_Coil_Over_Sleeve.aspx

https://www.a1racing.com/A1_Racing_Products_12460_2_1/2_Spring_Coil_Over_Adjusting_Nut.aspx

https://hotpart.com/product/2015-2019-ford-mustang-2-5-coil-over-conversion-kit/

Plus of course the springs.

Tim

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Happy to help, @TeeLew deserves the credit for the idea. Might be worth sending him a PM to see if he has any further ideas.

BlueRoo64

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
1964 Ford Fairlane 500, 2007 Yamaha V Star 1100
I'm absolutely loving this, can't wait till the next update!

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
Time for an update. I have been busy working on the car. I have been mostly focused on the front spindles. I have been going round and round and the different directions I can take the part of the project. I will go over that a bit more once I settle on the basic path.

In the meantime, I have been getting the transmission ready to ship off to be assembled. I wanted to verify my splined shaft coupler that goes between the transfer case and transmission fit before I sent it out. That came last week and I am happy to say it worked out great.

I am made a short video to cover it.

I hope to make the first spindle installment this coming week.

Thanks,
Tim

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
subbed
Sponsored