Sponsored

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1,1986 SVO, 2020 Ridgeline(SOLD!)
there are some pretty damn smart folks on this forum. I am not one of them but the OP clearly is!!! I love this thread. Looking forward to AWD smokey burnouts!
I need to STOP reading threads like this as they really make me feel lazy and stoopid!! JK!!!
Sponsored

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
More progress

IMG_4366.jpg
IMG_4367.jpg
IMG_4368.jpg
IMG_4371.jpg
IMG_4372.jpg
IMG_4373.jpg

IMG_4375.jpg

I am hoping to drive it tomorrow assuming the clutch bleeds OK.

Tim

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Awesome thread!👍👍

Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
Shit… the main reason why i bought the gtr was because high hp awd acceleration is intoxicating while with the mustang you always had to fight for traction… this setup is awesome!

oh, and that sierra is fking gorgeous

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
On the wheels!!

I thrashed yesterday and drove it around the block a few times after it was dark. I didn't want to get to crazy during the first shakedown cruise.

First, everything seems to work.
-The Exedy clutch is not bad on the leg and grabs very smooth.
-The transmission was really notchy at first, but that seemed to get better as I drove it. Probably from getting the fluid throughout the tranny.
-The shifter works well and the reverse lockout is totally awesome. That really turned out great.

Two issues.
-Since the gear ratios are different from the MT82, the rev hang between gears is really bad. I need to get that tuned out.
-I got a check engine light. I checked the codes and I am getting misfires on cylinders 4 and 7? I did have the plugs and coils out over the last year to be able to turn the engine over easier. I needed to check the runout of the bellhousing. I must have screwed something up?

Not an issue, but different. With the "solid" one piece driveshaft and no rubber flex coupling, it is much more direct when down and up shifting. This can be good or bad. More old school. Not smooth like me S4:) Probably good long term.

Next, I need to get the car on the freeway so I can get it up to speed and see if I have any vibration. I had it up to about 60mph on the side road and all was good. I am/was worried about the one piece u-joint style driveshaft. We will see how that worked out.

Tim

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
More Progress.

After that initial drive, I got out a few days later and it became obvious that I needed to make some changes before driving it anymore. It was getting constant misfire codes and going into limp mode. I ordered up a cable for Forscan and got HP Tuners to get everything sorted.

First I did the crank relearn function and that solved the Misfires:thumbsup:

Then back on the road the rev hang was horrible. Back home I fired up HP Tuners for the first time and I changed the gear ratios to match the TR6060. Rev hang now fixed:thumbsup:

But, it was having a weird torque limit issue. I could floor it and it would limit the throttle to about 20%. First thing I figured out is that I was misinformed by the internet. I made my new VSS (OSS) wheel with 36 teeth. Turns out the MT82 has 34! That is what is in the tune anyway. Changing the tune to 36 made the throttle limit a bit better. You could now drive it on the highway without much drama, but if you floored it, you would get a torque limit.

The Torque source in HP Tuners was coming up as "Transfer Case Limit". This obviously made no sense and is probably just a bad translation by HPT.

I didn't want to turn off all of the torque limit nannies quite yet, but I had a revelation when I timed how long it was limiting the torque when I floored it, 10 seconds. Exactly the time limit for the clutch protection torque limit. I disabled the clutch protection in the tune and bam, all was good.

I drove it around yesterday a bit and even drove it to work today. Transmission is getting smoother and smoother. Clutch is great.

There may be a few weird vibrations at about 40mph, probably the driveshaft, bit still very good up to about 90 or so, which is the fastest I went.

I got the complete interior back in yesterday and all is good. I will post some pictures soon.

Tim

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I changed the gear ratios to match the TR6060. Rev hang now fixed:thumbsup:
I disabled the clutch protection in the tune and bam, all was good.
A custom build this deep and 3 solutions from 3 attempts just like that? AND it drives well first up.

What sorcery is this?

Well done Tim, amazing achievement all round.

:shock::clap::)

Last edited:

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
More Progress.

After that initial drive, I got out a few days later and it became obvious that I needed to make some changes before driving it anymore. It was getting constant misfire codes and going into limp mode. I ordered up a cable for Forscan and got HP Tuners to get everything sorted.

Then back on the road the rev hang was horrible. Back home I fired up HP Tuners for the first time and I changed the gear ratios to match the TR6060. Rev hang now fixed:thumbsup:

But, it was having a weird torque limit issue. I could floor it and it would limit the throttle to about 20%. First thing I figured out is that I was misinformed by the internet. I made my new VSS (OSS) wheel with 36 teeth. Turns out the MT82 has 34! That is what is in the tune anyway. Changing the tune to 36 made the throttle limit a bit better. You could now drive it on the highway without much drama, but if you floored it, you would get a torque limit.

The Torque source in HP Tuners was coming up as "Transfer Case Limit". This obviously made no sense and is probably just a bad translation by HPT.

I didn't want to turn off all of the torque limit nannies quite yet, but I had a revelation when I timed how long it was limiting the torque when I floored it, 10 seconds. Exactly the time limit for the clutch protection torque limit. I disabled the clutch protection in the tune and bam, all was good.

I drove it around yesterday a bit and even drove it to work today. Transmission is getting smoother and smoother. Clutch is great.

There may be a few weird vibrations at about 40mph, probably the driveshaft, bit still very good up to about 90 or so, which is the fastest I went.

I got the complete interior back in yesterday and all is good. I will post some pictures soon.

Tim
Do you know what the clutch protection is triggered by? I've heard about that but I never knew why it would activate or how the car would know the clutch needed "protecting", lol.

OP
OP

xr4x4ti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 6MT
Do you know what the clutch protection is triggered by? I've heard about that but I never knew why it would activate or how the car would know the clutch needed "protecting", lol.
I don't exactly and that bugs me. I don't see what I changed causing any issues with the clutch protection. It could be my OSS sensor is not reading correctly. I don't like just turning it off, even though I will long term no matter what. In the spring I will turn it back on and try to figure out why it was triggered.

Tim

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
My face as I wait for next update

925f6734c65b5b6fd1677f7cc712d3aa.jpg

OP
OP