Springs and things

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Here is a little documentation on the what and why of my spring changes and choices.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR

• I have tried several spring packages. 165/220/~280/450 have all been used on the front and 728/750/850/950 have all been used on the rear. Present combo of 450 front and 750 rear feels promising, but has not seen an autocross for a real evaluation.
  • Rear ride height is a big tuning tool. Specifically, if itā€™s too high itā€™s common to experience corner entry instability/oversteer which is detrimental to carrying speed into a corner.
  • Raising the front spring rate has not seemed to increase understeer and has perhaps reduced it through increased responsiveness and a better overall chassis stability.
  • Reducing the rear spring rate seems to have improved forward tire grip and ride quality.
  • At this point, I tend to think that most of the ā€˜cannedā€™ spring packages available right now are too soft on the front and too stiff on the rear.
  • If concerned about performance with OEM style springs, I think the front springs from BMR (300 #/in) or Steeda (350#/in) are the best choices.
  • At this point, I donā€™t see it mandatory to be over about 800 #/in on the rear spring and I see stiffnesses over about 1000 #/in as a detriment, at least on anything even resembling a street tire.
  • If you have the Magneride suspension, get the Shelby GT350R shocks and struts. Their higher damping forces works surprisingly well with stiffer springs, even if youā€™re just using the stock damper controller.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iā€™ve played around with springs a bit and would like to share what Iā€™ve found. None of these choices were made based off calculations, just my feel, which is suspect at best.

First, the car is an Eco HPP, which means Iā€™m a little lighter on the nose than a V8 car, but I donā€™t think this appreciably changes anything Iā€™ve found. The other caveat I have is that itā€™s on the Magneride dampers. If anyone can use this info, great. If you have any questions, Iā€™ll try to answer. Mostly, itā€™s just for general information.

I think these cars start out at the ā€˜normalā€™ PP spring rates (I've never seen for certain), which are 165 #/in on the front and 728 #/in on the rear. I didnā€™t drive it long on these rates, but I felt that the front felt significantly softer than the rear. I picked up a set of Vogtland springs, which were 220 #/in on the front and 880 #/in on the rear. I installed the fronts, but the rears werenā€™t for a Mag car, so I had to stick with the stock rear springs. This meant the car had the front ride dropped about 25mm with the stock rear ride height. Even with the slightly stiffer front spring, the car was *very* loose in the Auto-X I did this way, particularly on corner entry. Iā€™d get an early over-rotation and then it was just a balancing act to corner exit. I was not particularly fast.

I knew that rear spring options were going to be an issue, so I installed Mike Maierā€™s rear spring weight jacker kit so I could choose whatever I wanted. I borrowed a pair of 2.5x5ā€ ā€“ 950 #/in rears to start. I like using the longest spring I can for any given application, and this was a little short, but I used them anyway, because it allowed me to drop the rear ride. With these rear springs, the tail of the car felt a lot stiffer and lacked a bit of grip from middle-out, but lowering the rear ride height allowed for much more stable entry characteristics. I donā€™t think the rate improved the car nearly as much as the lower ride height. I ended up buying the same rate as a 6ā€ spring and ran that for a while. At this point, my 4-banger was reasonably competitive with the other Mustangs in CAM-C in my area, so it couldnā€™t have been too bad. About this time that I really started tuning the DSC controller for the Magneride, so a lot of my track time was centered around that tuning.

Prior to a test/tune day, I installed a 20mm rear anti-roll bar (was 24mm factory) to help with corner exit rear grip. During this day, the car was still loose pretty much all the time, but it was easy to over-drive the front as well. About 2/3rds of the way through the day, I installed a polyurethane spring rubber in the front spring. This raised my front ride height about 10mm and stiffened the spring from a 220 to somewhere in the region of 280-300 #/in. I went about a second faster on the very next run and maintained that time gain the rest of the day. It was a big gain and that gain came primarily on the front of the car. The stiffer front had a lot better response and would accept load in a way which the softer rate would not. STIFFENING THE FRONT SPRING DID NOT INCREASE UNDERSTEER.

So, I was a little skeptical about the rear spring rate at this point. Maier told me that he runs very stiff on the rear of his car (well over 1000 #/in), but there was nothing I felt that was pushing me in that direction, so I decided to drop it 100# as see what that did. At the same time, I installed the Hyperco hydraulic spring perches to reduce the bind the spring sees. I dropped the rate to 850 #/in, but I did so with a 7ā€ spring. The combination of a longer spring and the fancy spring perch meant the rear was a little too far in the air again. I drove this combo for quite a while. I tuned the DSC on it, but for ā€˜normalā€™ driving, I use the stock Mag controller. I can make the DSC go significantly faster than the Ford tuning on the track, but I canā€™t match the stock Ford ride characteristics. Theyā€™ve got that part pretty dialed. I had an Auto-X outing which was complete crap for various reasons, none of which had anything to do with chassis tuning, but it did mean that I never got a really proper track evaluation. After driving it on the street in this form, though, I came to understand it.

The biggest issue with the 280/850 combo was loading the front of the car. It was still difficult to load the front of the car appropriately. I had to turn into corners relatively early and with slow hands because I couldnā€™t turn the steering wheel at the rate I wanted. If I turned in slow and early, Iā€™d keep the car gripped up, but Iā€™d arrive at the apex with too much turning left to do, wash the front and get the rear loose on power (which was a product of the mid-corner understeer). If I turned in later and with more aggression, Iā€™d lose the rear early in the corner. That front spring rubber had helped this about 25%, but I was going to need more.

At this point, I had to make a decision. I could use race springs on the back of the car, but the front was restricted to OEM style springs. I needed coil-overs, but I wanted to stick with the MR suspension. Thatā€™s when I got the idea of converting Magneride struts to coil-overs. Tractive is a company that produces very nice MR racing dampers, but they were out of my price range. What I was able to do buy the Shelby 350R struts, which have about double the damping forces of the standard Mag struts (which is on every other model, even if the programming varies). I knew I wanted to throw some spring rate at the car and this was only going to happen if I could match the rate with additional damping. So starting with these struts, I made a pair of coil-over which accepts a 3ā€ ID springs. I wanted to use 2.5ā€ ID springs, but the Mag struts are just a little too big in diameter to accept those. Anyway, 3ā€ ID springs do kind of limit my choices, but itā€™s really not that big of a deal.

With the coil-overs built, now was time to put it on the car. I knew based on the front spring I was using that I wanted a big step stiffer, so I went up 50+% to a 450 #/in spring on the front. As usual, I tried to use too long a spring (8ā€) and got bit. The front ride height is OK, but unless Iā€™m running big wheel spacers, the inside of the tire makes contact with the lower spring perch. So, all I should have to do here is use a shorter spring (6ā€) which will allow me to move the spring perch out of the way of the tire. The problem there is they only had a 400 or a 500 in stock. There was no 450 available. Which will it be? Why stop at Chicago on your way to New York? I got the 500. As of right now, I havenā€™t installed these. Mostly because I like the 450ā€™s, but think an extra 10% stiffer might be a little much.

Remember, at the time I changed the front spring, the rear was at 850 #/in. I drove the car only a couple hundred miles that way. The 450ā€™s on the front has really quickened up the front end of the car and I wanted to get the rear ride lower so it wasnā€™t so quick on the front. I also wanted to soften the rear a little as the 850ā€™s still felt stiff to me. So I put in 2.5x6in 750# springs. A false start with an unnecessary tender spring aside, this allowed me to lower the rear ride a little over an inch. The ride is improved with the softer rate and so is on-throttle rear grip.

Handling-wise, itā€™s a little hard for me to give you great feedback, because I havenā€™t been in any competitive scenario; itā€™s all subjective. The biggest change is the front end response. Iā€™m not talking about a twitchy on-center feel, but more of a thing where follows my hands at the rate I really want to turn the wheel. When I would try to ask too much of the softer front end, it kind of used to trip over its own feet like if you were to try and turn a tricycle quickly. Now the front is able to respond at a quicker rate which allows me to turn a little later into some corners and combine loads without upsetting the car. My real issue here for evaluation is that I think it feels pretty good, but I canā€™t promise itā€™s faster. The reduction in brake dive alone has to be a gain. Is there any more understeer than before? Not that I can feel during city/highway driving. I have corners which I regularly hustle the car through. Initially, I took those corners a little cautiously, but now Iā€™m starting to explore it a little. The car feels pretty stuck.

The Shelby 350R damping with the stock controller works surprisingly well with 450#/in front springs. Itā€™s a hodge-podge, but it works. I havenā€™t played with the DSC controller, yet. I would say that these are good enough that I think any Magneride owner that just wants to run stiffer OEM-style springs should buy these. This extra damping feels like how they should have made them all.

Thereā€™s been all sorts of talk about choosing springs via the flat-ride concept on this board. Iā€™ve said that I donā€™t use this concept to choose spring rates and, clearly, these choices demonstrate that. Iā€™ve got probably 1500 miles on the 450/750 combo. I was on one road for a couple miles which I kind of felt a little of the pitchy ride thing, but that was a POS road and no performance car would have felt particularly good on it. I know my choices run completely counter to the conventional wisdom here. It could be that Iā€™m wrong and, if so, Iā€™ll change it. For now, though, Iā€™m just going to go off my feel for the car and see where that leads me. I can tell you that Iā€™d be a little more apprehensive if I didnā€™t watch the Runoffs from Indy. The Mustang winners there seemed to have a similar approach. At the very least, the group here knows I put my money where my mouth is and it doesnā€™t hurt to have someone sail past the ā€œThar Be Dragonsā€ sign on the map from time to time.
Sponsored

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Good stuff! Can you expand on how you turned the 350R struts into coil overs?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
How much time and money would you have saved if you just ditched the MR and bought quality 2.5 id Coilovers ?

To be fair for MR cars I think the Ford Upgrade pack is the best option. And next options are ditch the MR and go for Coilovers.

Last edited:
OP
OP

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
How much time and money would you have saved if you just ditched the MR and bought quality 2.5 id Coilovers ?
That's a bit of a loaded question, don't you think? Which dampers do you propose? Let's say Ohlins, because that's the quality coil-over I'd go with. The damper controller is ~$1300. My coil-over conversions were in the range of $1500 complete for the pair. Then there's the cost of the rear spring mount kit and rear springs. All in all, I'd say it's very close in terms of overall cost. Of course, if I were not going to use the MR dampers, I wouldn't have specifically purchased them as an option, so that would have saved a good bit as well.

A big reason I bought this car was to learn to tune MR dampers, so that's an intangible value which is meaningful. Further, my car is not track only. I put a lot of highway miles on it. Getting dampers to work well in both scenarios is not the easiest. There are definitely some compromises to be made with the MR stuff, but don't discount the fact that there are also some very real advantages as well.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's a bit of a loaded question, don't you think?
I edited the question as I realised it sounded a bit harsher than it should be. Based on what I have seen from the spring rates that Ford is running on the MR Mustangs mostly in the 1.50 hz rate I guess that the MR has not very high limit in terms of spring rates and you also said that the 350R dumpers are different but even them I guess are struggling with 450 lbs etc springs. With that in mind and considering that the Mustang start working well when you pass 650 lbs front springs for track applications with sticky rubber. Otherwise I think your post is very impressive and a great research into a great topic. So thank you for that.

Sponsored

OP
OP

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I edited the question as I realised it sounded a bit harsher than it should be. Based on what I have seen from the spring rates that Ford is running on the MR Mustangs mostly in the 1.50 hz rate I guess that the MR has not very high limit in terms of spring rates and you also said that the 350R dumpers are different but even them I guess are struggling with 450 lbs etc springs. With that in mind and considering that the Mustang start working well when you pass 650 lbs front springs for track applications with sticky rubber. Otherwise I think your post is very impressive and a great research into a great topic. So thank you for that.
The homologated front springs for GT4 and IMSA are 700#/in and 750 #/in. Sometimes these choices are a little arbitrary in that the sanctioning body will chose a ride frequency target and then make the whole field run springs which achieve those stiffness levels. The choice may not have been arrived at in an organic manner. That aside, I think your notion of a 650 #/in front is probably right around where you want to be in terms of track chassis control & grip.

Since we're starting at 165 #/in stock, there's some pretty low-hanging fruit in terms of front spring rate. My guess is that increasing spring stiffness will have diminishing returns. Initial increases in spring rate will be very noticeable whereas the difference from 700 to 750 will probably be marginal. Do I think I'm at the 'best' track front spring? No. I'm trying to hit a happy medium between track and street. The 450's are big step in terms of car feel, but they are also stiff enough that I'm not rushing to put the 500's on earlier than necessary. All in all, they're fine on the freeway, but they can get a little obnoxious on a bumpy road or in a parking lot over speed bumps. It's also worth noting that I'm setting the car up for 200TW street tires. If you're on a race slick, or better yet, a Michelin race slick, you'll be able to stiffen the car significantly more. A race tire can take loading rates (from the springs, dampers or steering wheel) which street tires can only dream.

As far as the damping goes, the ability to control the spring depends on how you're using the damper. The 350R strut makes about twice the force of the std version. Using the stock controller with the 280 #/in front springs was about the limit for the standard strut. The car drove fine on the freeway, but it was underdamped. Using the DSC controller allows me to increase damping by significant amounts. I think if you're using the DSC controller, then springs up to about 350 #/in can be accommodated with the standard strut. Ford is not using the maximum forces that the standard dampers can provide, and that's the single biggest gain the DSC controller gives you, the ability to increase total damping. In reality, though, it's a lot more than just that. The forces are ultimately governed by the damper internals, which is where the 350R version shows superior.

The combination of 450 #/in front spring, the Ford Damper Controller and the 350R front struts is pretty damned good. They're not struggling at all. Like I've said, I haven't put in on a track, yet, but it's very well controlled for street/highway driving. I'll use the DSC controller when I'm running competitively, but I expect to drive the dampers electrically much less than the standard models I previously used.

OP
OP

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Good stuff! Can you expand on how you turned the 350R struts into coil overs?
This wasn't as difficult as you might think. The first part was to cut the spring perch off the strut.

I wanted to use an threaded AL damper body from a Penske or similar in place of the lower spring perch, but the ID of all the 'normal' stuff was a few mm too small to fit over the OD of the Magneride strut. Magneride struts are 'upside down', so they have fewer bending issues than most other struts, but that means they have a fairly large OD. I ended up with getting the damper body off a King Shock, which is used by off-road maniacs. These are too large for a 2.5" spring and must use a 3.0" one. I'm just using this as a sleeve which slides over the normal strut body. It doesn't influence the damper at all. This sleeve is located vertically by the spindle clevis and all the spring/damper load feeds directly into the clevis.

There were a couple locating rings to fit the sleeve to the strut body and then the ARB drop link pickup had to be welded on the sleeve (not the strut body!) and then a couple tabs to make sure the sleeve stayed in position. All in all, the modded strut/spring combo is about 1.5# lighter than the one it replaced (w/ Vogtland spring).

The only real worry I had was the upper spring perch. I bought a Hyperco hydraulic spring perch, but I was largely guessing (hoping) I'd be able to cobble it together. It worked perfectly. The strut steering bearing plate has the stock spring mount, which I removed. The strut dirt bellows connect to the bearing plate by stamped tabs. I cut those tabs off with a dremel and did a little filing. The Hyperco perch ID fit the stamped bearing plate OD perfectly. Once that was finished, it was just a matter of bolting it up and hoping for the best.

20211126_130658.jpg

20211126_130647.jpg

20211126_130035.jpg

20211126_130020.jpg

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Goong from 350 (Steed DRs) to a 650 front spring wasnā€™t all that mindblowing. The higher rate spring feels good but I donā€™t think the car got that much faster. As you say, diminishing returns and Iā€™ve only had it out to a coulpe of autocross events, no track time yet for proper lap comparisons

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Goong from 350 (Steed DRs) to a 650 front spring wasnā€™t all that mindblowing. The higher rate spring feels good but I donā€™t think the car got that much faster. As you say, diminishing returns and Iā€™ve only had it out to a coulpe of autocross events, no track time yet for proper lap comparisons
I think 650 for AutoX on 200TW tires may be a bit high. 450-500 lbs should be good for Street/Weekend Warrior car. However I think that Mach 1 rates (194/657) with the MR are great for street/weekend warrior also the body roll there is very limited but from factory there is understeer which is my problem. For me Springs have 2 tasks: 1. Control Body Roll. 2. Balance under/oversteer. The Mustang is really heavy so anything that can make the body roll less is a good thing. Regarding Balance I still think that Sway Bars help more with that and once you drive a neutral Mustang there is no going back.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
[*]At this point, I tend to think that most of the ā€˜cannedā€™ spring packages available right now are too soft on the front and too stiff on the rear.
ā€¦
ā€¦
[*]At this point, I donā€™t see it mandatory to be over about 800 #/in on the rear spring and I see stiffnesses over about 1000 #/in as a detriment, at least on anything even resembling a street tire.
100% agreed. Great write-up,

ā€” Mike

Sponsored
OP
OP

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I think 650 for AutoX on 200TW tires may be a bit high. 450-500 lbs should be good for Street/Weekend Warrior car. However I think that Mach 1 rates (194/657) with the MR are great for street/weekend warrior also the body roll there is very limited but from factory there is understeer which is my problem. For me Springs have 2 tasks: 1. Control Body Roll. 2. Balance under/oversteer. The Mustang is really heavy so anything that can make the body roll less is a good thing. Regarding Balance I still think that Sway Bars help more with that and once you drive a neutral Mustang there is no going back.
You've missed an important function of the front spring, providing the front platform. The balance of any car will be front ride height sensitive. The larger window vertically the car uses, the more difficult it is to maintain a consistent balance through a corner or around a track. Most important, the stiffer the front springs, the less brake dive and better steering response. Understeer is a possibility, especially on a lower grip surfaces which can't accept building load quickly, but so far I'm not really experiencing any problems unless I make a driving mistake.

OP
OP

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Regarding Balance I still think that Sway Bars help more with that and once you drive a neutral Mustang there is no going back.
I've also got an ARB project to finish. I'm presently running the BMR 35mm front bar, but I'm building one to replace it.

Driving any really well handing car is a treat, but it never lasts for long. All we have to do is go a little faster and we'll inevitably find new imbalances. It's a good problem to have.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've also got an ARB project to finish. I'm presently running the BMR 35mm front bar, but I'm building one to replace it.

Driving any really well handing car is a treat, but it never lasts for long. All we have to do is go a little faster and we'll inevitably find new imbalances. It's a good problem to have.
I'm really happy with how my car handles on track and mountain roads and to be fair it needs more driver mod than parts at the moment. Ones I reach it's current potential (which will increase with lighter wheels and wider tires this season) it might make sense to touch it. Obviously I want to do some stuff to it as it sure need less body roll and with 295/30 tires it will require shorter springs to close the fender gaps. Ohlins is still not available in my country so I might go with Eibach Pro-Kit springs in mean time.

OP
OP

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Making parts is as much of the hobby as driving the car for me. Even if I do something that doesn't work, it's kept me entertained and out of the local tavern.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Making parts is as much of the hobby as driving the car for me. Even if I do something that doesn't work, it's kept me entertained and out of the local tavern.
this is the cool thing about Mustangs you can make whatever hobby make you happy out of them. It's cool that you did so much extensive testing on the Spring rates.
Sponsored