Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
I'm not certain anyone advocated coating used pistons, I said to do a ground up engine build and the more I've learned of the situation, a ground up is certainly more relevant now.

But whatever, Dude. Now we know....used pistons or not, if you have an argument against coatings, then provide a basis for it using the data you said you know is out there.

MB
You need to go back and reread the 8 pages of regurgitated “WOW”
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/assembling-an-engine…-any-tips.180152/page-4#post-3632381
We all know the OP was reusing the pistons and rings on pages 1 & 2. Some are having a hard time wrapping their heads around that.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
With the stock box the fuel trims were spot on. I switched back and forth multiple times and the stock box was always reading fine. If the exhaust leak did cause it, it started leaking bad either during the pull or just started.

And yes the 176mph hot pull may have helped speed up the process of the engine failure haha.
176mph in a NA Mustang is a long pull. I'm sure that hurt it.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
176mph in a NA Mustang is a long pull. I'm sure that hurt it.
+ like 90-degree heat. It was mid-summer in AZ.

I found the breaking point of the stock cooling system. Didn't realize how fast the temps would climb once the cooling system hit its limit. Went hotter than I would have liked to for sure.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Both banks ?
Yep. Original fuel trims were sitting at 60% LTFT. The car wouldn't even warm/hot start. Had to unplug the MAF to get the car to start and run.

Got some tune revisions and got it down to 30% LTFT. I have the data logs somewhere if you want. Wengerd couldn't figure it out and I couldn't find any more leaks after I patched the first one. Needed to do a smoke test to be sure but never got the chance.

RAVAGE88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium, '19 HD FLHT, '08 Piper Saratoga
You need to go back and reread the 8 pages of regurgitated “WOW”
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/assembling-an-engine…-any-tips.180152/page-4#post-3632381
We all know the OP was reusing the pistons and rings on pages 1 & 2. Some are having a hard time wrapping their heads around that.
Like I said, whatever Dude....it's not important enough for me to re-read anything. Plenty of people supporting the re-use of pistons and rings and two mentions of coating pistons. The point you're apparently making is it's ok to re-use pistons but it's not ok to coat used pistons (which there isn't a strong advocacy to do). Apparently you know there's data that you've either not read or that you didn't really know existed in the first place, but you certainly have an argument on the internet.

Good day, kind Sir....

MB

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Wengerd couldn't figure it out
Well even at 30% trim he shoulda told you under no circumstances go WOT. Just putt-putt around town till it's figured out.

Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
The point you're apparently making is it's ok to re-use pistons but it's not ok to coat used pistons
Just wondering, did you miss my post about the pistons skirts being burnished to the bore ?
Applying DFL to the used burnished piston and reusing the seated rings the DFL coating will transfer to some degree to the cylinder walls and will raise the possibility of ruining the ring seal.

Last edited:

RAVAGE88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT Premium, '19 HD FLHT, '08 Piper Saratoga
The

Just wondering, did you miss my post about the pistons skirts being burnished to the bore ?
Applying DFL to the used burnished piston and reusing the seated rings the DFL coating will transfer to some degree to the cylinder walls and will raise the possibility of ruining the ring seal.
Nope, didn't miss that post, but wondered when I read it if you know this because you've reviewed data, had direct experience or is it more regurgitation?

"Transfer to some degree:" Is this measurable/quantifiable? How much "transfer" is acceptable? Is any amount of "transfer" unacceptable?

"Raise the possibility of ruining the ring seal:" By how much does it raise the "possibility?" Does this also mean that it's possible it won't "raise the possibility?" Maybe there's a 26% chance that it'll fail to transfer 65% of the time....:like:

Seems that the selection of your words, written with conviction, indicate that you really don't know, but yet, here we are....

MB

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Nope, didn't miss that post, but wondered when I read it if you know this because you've reviewed data, had direct experience or is it more regurgitation?

"Transfer to some degree:" Is this measurable/quantifiable? How much "transfer" is acceptable? Is any amount of "transfer" unacceptable?

"Raise the possibility of ruining the ring seal:" By how much does it raise the "possibility?" Does this also mean that it's possible it won't "raise the possibility?" Maybe there's a 26% chance that it'll fail to transfer 65% of the time....:like:

Seems that the selection of your words, written with conviction, indicate that you really don't know, but yet, here we are....

MB
All very good questions for a thread related to the topic so start your own and see where it goes.
I see no need to post up some data from Swain or a few others I have. I’ll stick to helping the OP within his scope and budget.
Have a good evening.
Sponsored