Sponsored

Anyone waiting for 2.7L EB?

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
I know the possibility of a 2.7L EcoBoost Mustang has been discussed previously, but I am wondering if anyone (besides me) is actually considering holding off on the purchase of a new 2.3 or 5.0 in anticipation of it?

There has been talk of the 2.7L EB replacing the V8, but I honestly don't see that happening any time soon. I am leaning strongly towards the 2.3L EB today, but I would be bummed if a 2.7L came out in, say, 2016 or 2017. Of course I could always just trade up, which is probably what I would/will do (because I need the new Mustang way sooner than that!).

I can't help but think that they chose the 2.3L because the 2.7L would have been too close to the 5.0 in terms of performance and cost to adequately differentiate their launch lineup. The 2.3L is awesome by all accounts, and highly tunable, but I still think it may be a little bit too small, too much of a compromise on performance, for a car this size (for my desires anyway). But the GT isn't really worth the price premium when it comes down to it (again, in my eyes). Doesn't mean I won't buy and love either one of them, but I really wish you could get a 2.7L that slots in-between the 2.3L and the 5.0 in the lineup. I'd pay an extra $3000 for that engine.
Sponsored

DivineStrike

Doomsday
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GTPP, 11 F150 FX4, 07 CBR600RR
If they offer the 2.7, it will more likely be placed inbetween the 5.0 and the 2.3. It won't be the 5.0 replacement. A 3.5 or similar sized EB 6 will be a 5.0 replacement many years down the road.

DAGO GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 RAPTOR, 2015 GT PP
If they offer the 2.7, it will more likely be placed inbetween the 5.0 and the 2.3. It won't be the 5.0 replacement. A 3.5 or similar sized EB 6 will be a 5.0 replacement many years down the road.
It will be a sad day in America when the Mustang no longer has a V8 option.

jcalvert86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Sooner than later on that 3.5L EB, I hope.

akwal07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 mustang kona blue v6
What if they did a v8 ecoboost with variable displacement to help with cafe standards and have amazing power...also could have that engine off at stop feature. Those two features should be able to be enabled/disabled easily. So in traffic/long commute you can get good mods without sacrificing performance when you want it

Sponsored

e30og

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport
dont hold your breath for the 2.7

think about it. The EB could have been ANY size and even share the engine with the F150 and that would have been cheaper for them. They still stuck to 2.3. Ford is trying to squeeze as much mileage out of the motor while maintaining that power. A 2.7 would get worse mileage, which in real world testing would probably fall close to the mileage of the GT since it's a blown 6. It would also not be light enough to make much of a difference. Finally it would hold potential V8 clients from being upsold that high. There is only one option in the lineup to go faster. The 2.3 would then lose performance credibility too, something Ford is trying so hard to build up right now. I highly doubt it will ever come in between

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
If they offer the 2.7, it will more likely be placed inbetween the 5.0 and the 2.3. It won't be the 5.0 replacement.
That how I want it to play out. Hopefully we'll see it around the time of the next refresh. BUT the V8 HAS to stay in the GT for a long time yet, please Ford!

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
There will always be a V8, even with special fees or taxes, but a 3.5L EB only weighs a few more pounds and has already proven itself. If a crew cab F150 can runs 12s with bolt ons and tuning.....dang.

One of my favorite Ecoboost 1/4 runs: [ame]

Ford, bring us an EBV6, even though I would rather have an EBV8.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
You won't see that till most likely 2016 (not model year).

Sponsored

akwal07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There will always be a V8, even with special fees or taxes, but a 3.5L EB only weighs a few more pounds and has already proven itself. If a crew cab F150 can runs 12s with bolt ons and tuning.....dang.

One of my favorite Ecoboost 1/4 runs:

Ford, bring us an EBV6, even though I would rather have an EBV8.
That's before the weight reduction to the f150s too

phil1336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford C-Max Hybrid & S550 Convertible
A guy I work with has a Son who works at AutoNation Ford Delray Beach FL. One of his co-workers bought a 2015 Mustang with the EB 2.3. last week. Kept it 3 days and brought it back for a refund under their return policy. Was (very) unhappy about the "sound" and "performance" of the EB 2.3. Still wants a 15` Mustang but will settle either for the 3.7 V6 or the 5.0 V8. Just saying.......

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
It will be a sad day in America when the Mustang no longer has a V8 option.
That day already has come and gone, the 74 Mustang II did not have a V8 option, it wasn't until 76 (I think) that Ford put a 302 back into the car, and even then it was an incredibly lethargic 140-150HP.

akwal07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A guy I work with has a Son who works at AutoNation Ford Delray Beach FL. One of his co-workers bought a 2015 Mustang with the EB 2.3. last week. Kept it 3 days and brought it back for a refund under their return policy. Was (very) unhappy about the "sound" and "performance" of the EB 2.3. Still wants a 15` Mustang but will settle either for the 3.7 V6 or the 5.0 V8. Just saying.......
Which would be the #1 negative to me

Also the 2.7 eco will be on the explorer which debuts at the la auto show later this Month. So it's looking like a 3.5/3.7 replacement

OP
OP

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
That's what happens when you buy an I4 expecting it to be a V8? :shrug: And if he is trading it in for the V6 on the basis of performance, that makes even less sense (obviously), so apparently sound is really the basis of his complaint. How you would not have realized what it sounds like before buying the car is beyond me, especially if you WORK FOR THE DEALERSHIP.
Sponsored