Sponsored

2.7L Ecoboost engine on Gen-7 Mustang EB?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Oxford White 3.7
To be honest I don't think the 5.0 will die for a while. They invested a lot of money refreshing it and it's a huge sales it. It sounds amazing and is underrated from the factory. Everyone wants one and even highway MPG is not that bad. I have a V6 right now (2014) and I want a 2018 GT pretty badly. I know there's a huge amount of people like that too.

I liked Ford's V6 and I wouldn't mind the 2.7 in a base level Mustang but I doubt they will do it. They'd have to spend more money and a lot of people who just want a base model Mustang are happy with the 2.3 4 cyl, they don't really care about the difference. They just want a car that's quick, decent MPG, and looks/handles like a Mustang. That's not going to change whether they have the 2.3 or 2.7. I personally wouldn't want one since I don't like 4 cyl engines but sales wise I don't see Ford making any extra money from switching to a 2.7 EB.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 2.7 EB used as the engine for a light 2 passenger coupe or something though, that'd be sick.
Sponsored

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
The EcoBoost is positioned as the low emission part of the Mustang lineup so if its displacement is going to be changed at all (which I seriously doubt) it will much more likely become a 2 liter than a 2.7.
Agree

Already announced is that the EB will hybridified. Unknown is if this will be the only available version or that the gas only EcoBoost that we have now will continue to be offered.

So in short this is what I think most likely will happen (in descending order of likeliness):

2.3 gas and 2.3 hybrid
2.3 hybrid only
2.0 hybrid only
2.7 not gonna happen.
Not Agree. Ford never announced that the EB will be "hybridized", making a hybrid version will be expensive as fuck so I don't think they will offer it in the "lower part".
Some member on this forum already said that the "Hybrid Mustang" will be a Hybrid V8 and another member claimed that he already saw a mule on someone else garage (or something like that).

This is what I think most likely will happen (Mustang lineup)

2.3L Ecoboost (Base)
5.X V8 (GT)
5.X V8 Hybrid ("E-Boost" hahaha that would be a good name)
5.2 V8 Supercharged (GT500)

To be honest I don't think the 5.0 will die for a while. They invested a lot of money refreshing it and it's a huge sales it. It sounds amazing and is underrated from the factory. Everyone wants one and even highway MPG is not that bad. I have a V6 right now (2014) and I want a 2018 GT pretty badly. I know there's a huge amount of people like that too.
Same here... I'm pretty sure that the reason of the Hybrid Mustang is for the people to get used to it and to improve the fleet MPG.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
:D:D

What I want is outside speakers looping that elevator music so when I get near they hear that and a moment later I arrive. Then I want permanent puddle lamps displaying horsepower and torque numbers on each side of the car like in the video! :thumbsup:

And, I want to wear a baseball cap inside a car with no sunroof!:D

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Part of the reason the gains are so nice is that the Stock system is TINY, and REALLY quiet. I can be on a highway and hang 6K RPM and not hear a thing with all the windows down.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
If the V8 goes away - I go away as a buyer.

They should be boosting a V8, not a 6 or 4.
Yep

Yeah, well when you have no other option, we'll see.

That's what V6 Mustang owners said.... and most of them are happy driving their ECOboosts.

They will probably release a 3.5L high performance ecoboost side by side with the V8 at first. They will make it faster and more efficient, let everyone test it, tune it, etc... for a year or 2, then EOL the V8. Just like they did with the 2.3Eco vs NA V6, and like they've done with the 3.5L eco and 5.0L in trucks. And gradually phase out the V8s.

That's what some truck owners said.... "I'll only tow with a big V8 or diesel." And a lot of those guys are towing with 3.5L Eco's and quite happy with the MPG and torque.
A majority of S550 buyers chose the V8 option over the V6 and EB. Look at European sales where Ford was expecting the EB to be a hit...but instead found that most were buying the 5.0.

And then FORD will get 10 other buyers for the turbo'd V6, that didn't care for the V8 in the previous generation mustang.

Like it or not, the world is changing and the V8 is very much on the world-wide, automotive, endangered species list.
I'm curious where these 10 buyers are going to come from. People choose the mustang because it has a V8, not because it's fast. There is nothing alluring about a V6 turbo in a mustang. If you think it's so special, go buy a Kia that has one.

Let's be honest - when the time comes for the V8 to go away, Ford won't care if you go away as a buyer, because there will likely be no other V8 for you to go to.

And, since you will still likely need to use a vehicle for transportation, Ford will welcome you as you come crawling back, right into a hybrid V6TT Mustang.

The V8 isn't going anywhere for a little while, but the writing is on the wall.
When the V8 goes away, the mustang brand will shortly follow. Even with what is likely the strongest name recognition in automotive history, there will no longer be anything to differentiate the mustang from other cars. Think about it, without a V8, the front end shrinks down and you end up with what amounts to a BMW 3 series. Except, the mustang won't be competing with the 3 series, it will be competing with Kia and Hyundai.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I'm in the minority I guess. Never wanted a Mustang until they released the Ecoboost.
You aren't alone. I have been driving turbo 4 cyl compacts continiously since 1985 for my daily driver. A new Mustang was never on my view screen until the S550 Ecoboost.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Yep
A majority of S550 buyers chose the V8 option over the V6 and EB. Look at European sales where Ford was expecting the EB to be a hit...but instead found that most were buying the 5.0.

I'm curious where these 10 buyers are going to come from. People choose the mustang because it has a V8, not because it's fast. There is nothing alluring about a V6 turbo in a mustang. If you think it's so special, go buy a Kia that has one.

When the V8 goes away, the mustang brand will shortly follow. Even with what is likely the strongest name recognition in automotive history, there will no longer be anything to differentiate the mustang from other cars. Think about it, without a V8, the front end shrinks down and you end up with what amounts to a BMW 3 series. Except, the mustang won't be competing with the 3 series, it will be competing with Kia and Hyundai.
The 4cyl and 6cyl Mustangs have always out sold the v8 Mustang. Based on cars I see on the road I would estimate that the v6/2.3 are out selling the v8 4 to 1.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The 4cyl and 6cyl Mustangs have always out sold the v8 Mustang. Based on cars I see on the road I would estimate that the v6/2.3 are out selling the v8 4 to 1.
When all 3 were offered, the V8 outsold the EB and V6 individually. From what I see, I'd say the EB to V8 spread is closer to 60-40 in favor of the EB.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That import sounds ok, but I guess you didn't get my point that if you downshift the transmission multiplies the torque at the wheels. Bragging about torque at the wheels is pretty goofy. HP is the measurement that is meaningful in terms of acceleration.

Sponsored

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
The Mustang name is about so much more than the engine under the hood. The looming extinction of the V8 will almost certainly not send the Mustang packing. The hood doesn't have to shrink, as it can become storage (like the Tesla S).

Or, you can take advantage of the hood by putting in a straight 6! :D

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
This affectation for the V8 is overrated. I was one of those guys who said I would never own anything but a V8 and rear wheel drive. Now I drive a V6 but still kept my promise on the rear wheel drive. Anyway they could always just make a smaller V8. But I think not. The V8 reminds me of the old boats that used to be Cadillacs. That whole car image died with it’s dying customer base. Same with the V8. If they can force me into a V6 they can force me into an I4. It will happen. Gasoline engines will pretty much be outlawed in 20 years, so face the inevitable. Things change and the Mustangs will be all electric and self-driving. No belching and polluting V8 rumble, no manual, no hand crank, etc...

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The Mustang name is about so much more than the engine under the hood. The looming extinction of the V8 will almost certainly not send the Mustang packing. The hood doesn't have to shrink, as it can become storage (like the Tesla S).

Or, you can take advantage of the hood by putting in a straight 6! :D
Again, you’re not seeing the big picture. What distinguishes the mustang from a Kia? BMW? If the mustang doesn’t offer anything unique compared to it’s counterparts, what do you think will keep people buying the mustang over them (it most certainly won’t be on name recognition alone). Ford is already abandoning the car market as they can’t compete with the foreign competition (and the market is dying). Without a unique offering such as a V8, why the hell do you think people will chose the mustang when Kia will likely offer a similar car with a better warranty for cheaper?

This affectation for the V8 is overrated. I was one of those guys who said I would never own anything but a V8 and rear wheel drive. Now I drive a V6 but still kept my promise on the rear wheel drive. Anyway they could always just make a smaller V8. But I think not. The V8 reminds me of the old boats that used to be Cadillacs. That whole car image died with it’s dying customer base. Same with the V8. If they can force me into a V6 they can force me into an I4. It will happen. Gasoline engines will pretty much be outlawed in 20 years, so face the inevitable. Things change and the Mustangs will be all electric and self-driving. No belching and polluting V8 rumble, no manual, no hand crank, etc...
The affection for the V8 is what keeps the mustang going. How some folks don’t understand that is beyond me. Do you think Ford wouldn’t have axed the mustang along with the rest of their lineup had it only been selling 65k cars/year? Nearly every other manufacturer is doing better than Ford in the car market, why keep the mustang around if comparable cars offer more options, better fit/finish and a better warranty for cheaper?

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
A V8 and Mustang are synonymous. When one goes, so begins the decline of the other. It turns into a word at that point, just a same as everything else boring ass 4 wheels and a yawn, which is what those of you who don't understand or agree with this sentiment should be driving.

Losing the V8 Mustang would be like putting a straight 4 in a 911. If that doesn't make you cringe, you are not a car person, go buy a donkey motors big wheel crap wagon, because you don't understand or care about cars, you probably have a subscription to consumers digest which you consult for every purchase you make, and you will never understand the undefinable feeling and urge a true auto-phile feels.

Not saying a battery or a 4 or 6 doesn't have it place, but when the V8 goes, they should put the Mustang out to pasture. Call it something else, because by then its already gone.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
A V8 and Mustang are synonymous. When one goes, so begins the decline of the other. It turns into a word at that point, just a same as everything else boring ass 4 wheels and a yawn, which is what those of you who don't understand or agree with this sentiment should be driving.

Losing the V8 Mustang would be like putting a straight 4 in a 911. If that doesn't make you cringe, you are not a car person, go buy a donkey motors big wheel crap wagon, because you don't understand or care about cars, you probably have a subscription to consumers digest which you consult for every purchase you make, and you will never understand the undefinable feeling and urge a true auto-phile feels.

Not saying a battery or a 4 or 6 doesn't have it place, but when the V8 goes, they should put the Mustang out to pasture. Call it something else, because by then its already gone.

Mustang is a brand, it won’t go away with the V8. Mustang stands for freedom and speed and not a V8 and not a manual transmission. Show me a model year where the only engine option was the V8. And this from a hard ass V8 guy. I’m pushing 60 so that says it right there. Mothballing the Mustang brand because you now have a twin turbo V6 putting out close to 700 horsepower and figure nobody is into that is ludicrous. Ford would rather develop a small V8 if it was that critical or license it from another car maker. Ford hasn’t, so the path forward is clear.
Sponsored