Sponsored

2.7L Ecoboost engine on Gen-7 Mustang EB?

Egoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I was just wondering if it is possible for Ford to put the 2.7L on the next generation Mustang Ecoboost? I am no technical person but i know that some engine configuration can't fit in certain chassis or car types.
Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
They haven't not because it doesn't fit but because when tuned for performance it encroaches on GT territory and hurts the high end sales.

OP
OP
Egoman

Egoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I thought about that but they can limit its power, from my personal experience with the car i always felt that the car would benefit from a larger displacement engine especially in the Highway i don't know how to explain it but the car will feel more relaxed at high RPM

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
The EcoBoost is positioned as the low emission part of the Mustang lineup so if its displacement is going to be changed at all (which I seriously doubt) it will much more likely become a 2 liter than a 2.7.

Already announced is that the EB will hybridified. Unknown is if this will be the only available version or that the gas only EcoBoost that we have now will continue to be offered.

So in short this is what I think most likely will happen (in descending order of likeliness):

2.3 gas and 2.3 hybrid
2.3 hybrid only
2.0 hybrid only

2.7 not gonna happen.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
There really is no point in Ford putting the 2.7 or 3.5TT into the Mustang until the 5.0 is a thing of the past. If you limit the power of the 2.7, then you're in 2.3 territory. If you keep the 2.7TT as is, then you're approaching 5.0 territory. If you boost it at all, then you're going to push the 5.0 to extinction (which, let's be honest, is on the distant horizon anyway).

There will come a day when a low displacement TT will very likely fall under the hood of a Mustang. A hybrid 2.7TT would make a wicked ride, especially if they figured out an AWD platform. But it's not going to happen soon - from an economics standpoint, it can't co-exist with the 5.0.

Sponsored

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
There really is no point in Ford putting the 2.7 or 3.5TT into the Mustang until the 5.0 is a thing of the past. If you limit the power of the 2.7, then you're in 2.3 territory. If you keep the 2.7TT as is, then you're approaching 5.0 territory. If you boost it at all, then you're going to push the 5.0 to extinction (which, let's be honest, is on the distant horizon anyway).

There will come a day when a low displacement TT will very likely fall under the hood of a Mustang. A hybrid 2.7TT would make a wicked ride, especially if they figured out an AWD platform. But it's not going to happen soon - from an economics standpoint, it can't co-exist with the 5.0.
No to much, its 325/380 vs 480/420.

I can imagine that if the 5.0 is replaced with the 5.2 then the 2.7tt or 3.0tt could end up as an EB option.

MPG will be an issue though. I have a 400HP 3.0TT in my Q50, but it is REALLY hard to get over 15MPG in my short, stop/go heavy commute to/from work. The Mach1 gets about 17-18 in the same commute.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
No to much, its 325/380 vs 480/420.

I can imagine that if the 5.0 is replaced with the 5.2 then the 2.7tt or 3.0tt could end up as an EB option.

MPG will be an issue though. I have a 400HP 3.0TT in my Q50, but it is REALLY hard to get over 15MPG in my short, stop/go heavy commute to/from work. The Mach1 gets about 17-18 in the same commute.
In its current form, you're correct, the 2.7 doesn't encroach too much on the 5.0. But also, in its current form, the 2.7 gives Ford no incentive to spend the cash on R&D to put it in the Mustang, as 325/380 is barely an improvement over the 2.3 (and with added weight, perhaps not an improvement at all).

I really like the 2.3 and 5.0 options right now - the 2.3 offers a lot of performance for a large user group, but is far enough from the 5.0 that it doesn't take sales from that category. Once the V8 becomes extinct, the door will open for Ford to get creative with powertrain platforms.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
I was just wondering if it is possible for Ford to put the 2.7L on the next generation Mustang Ecoboost? I am no technical person but i know that some engine configuration can't fit in certain chassis or car types.

Eventually, Ford is going to put a v6 EB in the mustang & a good many of us have been asking WHEN....

Myself, I would love to have a GT350'ish type car w/v6 EB @ 55K.

Obviously a v6 EB when first offered, would have to be in a "special" car ($$), because a v6 EB would out-do a V8 GT. (A simple 91 octane roush tune for the 2.7 v6 EB is silly.) So lets not even begin to consider what Ford Performance might do with their v6 EB Mustang.

Imagine a higher & smoother revving version of the 2.3 EB that is in the Focus RS, with an added +200hp & +200tq..!

I would say, that Ford Performance could put a v6 EB in a "Special Lightweight Mustang" and simply offer lightweight components, such as/perhaps CF driveshafts/halfshafts, CF wheels and full-on GT350 CF overhang, along with 350's suspension & brakes, etc.

We all know what a bi-turbo, twin-scrolled v6 will be able to do... 500hp/500tq. Then toss a DCT into the mix..?

Don't forget, Ford Performance aims to compete alongside others in motorsports, under their FPR mantra; "Sell what you race, race what you sell." If the GT500 comes with a DCT, then it will be in the parts bin for other mustangs.

:ford:

Last edited:

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
It will happen sooner than you think.

Ferrari, Lamborgini, etc. were all fancy exotic V12, are all now turbo 8's.

Porsche cut their engine size and went smaller turbo'd engines on ALL of their vehicles.
911 went from 3.8L NA, to 3.0L turbo. (ranges from 370hp to 450hp on same displacement over models)
Cayman/Boxster went from 6 cyl NA to 4 cyl turbo.

Raptor went from 6.2L V8 to 3.5L V6 turbo.

The list goes on.

If the Raptor did it, the Mustang will too.

Gen 7 may be 4 cyl, 6 cyl, 8 cyl:
2.3L eco
3.5L eco for GT's
5.2L v8s for GT350/GT500s.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
If the V8 goes away - I go away as a buyer.

They should be boosting a V8, not a 6 or 4.

Sponsored

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport

They should be boosting a V8, not a 6 or 4.
Yeah, well when you have no other option, we'll see.

That's what V6 Mustang owners said.... and most of them are happy driving their ECOboosts.

They will probably release a 3.5L high performance ecoboost side by side with the V8 at first. They will make it faster and more efficient, let everyone test it, tune it, etc... for a year or 2, then EOL the V8. Just like they did with the 2.3Eco vs NA V6, and like they've done with the 3.5L eco and 5.0L in trucks. And gradually phase out the V8s.

That's what some truck owners said.... "I'll only tow with a big V8 or diesel." And a lot of those guys are towing with 3.5L Eco's and quite happy with the MPG and torque.

Last edited:

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
And then FORD will get 10 other buyers for the turbo'd V6, that didn't care for the V8 in the previous generation mustang.

Like it or not, the world is changing and the V8 is very much on the world-wide, automotive, endangered species list.

Chad11491

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Lightning Blue GT Premium PP
i would be all for a tt v6 from ford in a different car, and would be down to buy it too. when i think of a mustang I think of a v8. So i probably wouldn't buy one without a v8 if it was there as an option.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Let's be honest - when the time comes for the V8 to go away, Ford won't care if you go away as a buyer, because there will likely be no other V8 for you to go to.

And, since you will still likely need to use a vehicle for transportation, Ford will welcome you as you come crawling back, right into a hybrid V6TT Mustang.

The V8 isn't going anywhere for a little while, but the writing is on the wall.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I love smaller displacement turbo'd motors. The only thing I hate is the sound. If Ford would just invest in better acoustic engineering with the 4 and 6cyl ecoboost engines it would make the transition from an 8 so much easier. Granted it will. Never replace the rumble of a v8 but if they could just make the smaller displacement motors sound better it would really help the die hard v8 guys accept and convert. Or take a page out of Mercedes and McLarens playbook. Create a 3.8-4.0L twin turbo v8.
Sponsored