Sponsored

Anyone made the move from a PP2 to a Mach 1?

OP
OP
saleen367

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
Appreciate all the feedback ... nice to hear from both sides really.

To be clear I would order from @Grainer, so cost wise its not an enormous hit with the used market being what it is.

Regardless, I've always said the Mach is so close to what we as PP2 owners already have, its a shame to spend the extra money just for the coolers and a Tremec. The clincher would have been if the Mach came with a CPC 5.2 and 520hp, but that never happened.

I do track it and have done all the prep everyone suggested. Never had an overheating problem of any kind. I also don't always wring out the engine to redline ... whats the point, there's no money at stake here. I have Recaro's, a square 19 x 11 wheel setup and lots of BMR suspension help. Its an incredibly good handling car as it was stock and I'm pretty sure I've improved it.

Factory warranty will run out at some point and I'll do LTH and a tune. Maybe at that point, I'll do the Tremec swap, with a couple coolers to give me that safety net.
Sponsored

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 (SOLD), 73 240Z RB26DETT
Kind of boring video at Auto Club Speedway but trying to keep up w my buddy's tuned ZL1 and a GT350. Square Apex 19x11 on stock Sport Cup 2s. Still, happy with overall performance of what a PP2 is.

Waiting for my warranty to run out then here come FI upgrades. At 22K miles now.

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
Appreciate all the feedback ... nice to hear from both sides really.

To be clear I would order from @Grainer, so cost wise its not an enormous hit with the used market being what it is.

Regardless, I've always said the Mach is so close to what we as PP2 owners already have, its a shame to spend the extra money just for the coolers and a Tremec. The clincher would have been if the Mach came with a CPC 5.2 and 520hp, but that never happened.

I do track it and have done all the prep everyone suggested. Never had an overheating problem of any kind. I also don't always wring out the engine to redline ... whats the point, there's no money at stake here. I have Recaro's, a square 19 x 11 wheel setup and lots of BMR suspension help. Its an incredibly good handling car as it was stock and I'm pretty sure I've improved it.

Factory warranty will run out at some point and I'll do LTH and a tune. Maybe at that point, I'll do the Tremec swap, with a couple coolers to give me that safety net.
All of what you said makes sense. Iā€™ve been working to make my car a PP2 + by doing upgrades the factory should have done. I do like my Mach 1 HP wheels better than the stock PP2 wheels. So kinda looks like a Mach 1 without the strips. Also the power pack upgrade the car runs awesome.

Last edited:

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
...I'm not sure the S650 is a good fit for me...
Honest question: How do you know it isn't a good fit? The S650 is still vaporware at this point.

A GT w/ PP2 is a smokin' ride. If it were me, I'd probably keep it until S650 is fully revealed. But if you get really antsy, an upgrade to a Mach1, or one of the Shelbys isn't a bad move.

Sponsored

S550pp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (performance pack)
Iā€™ve never driven the PP2. That said I love the Mach 1 and thereā€™s allot more to the total package than the individual upgrades Iā€™ve seen singled out in this thread so far. Iā€™d buy it for the cosmetic upgrades and numbered chassis alone (if exclusivity is your thing). Bottom line, the Mach 1 managed to outpace the SS 1LE, a feat the PP2 fell short ofā€¦ do with that what you will, canā€™t go wrong either way.

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
I was going to buy a PP2 until the Mach 1 came about and it was discontinued. The biggest difference between the two is all the coolers on the M1 and the Tremec. Iā€™d stick with what youā€™ve got.

S550pp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (performance pack)
I was going to buy a PP2 until the Mach 1 came about and it was discontinued. The biggest difference between the two is all the coolers on the M1 and the Tremec. Iā€™d stick with what youā€™ve got.
This is what I was referring to with the cherry picking. When it comes to a track car, things like improved front and rear subframe cradles, toe links, steering ratios, spring rates and bushings matter. Sure a better transmission with a shorter gear ratio is noteworthy, but the whole is greater than the sum of its parts in the case of the Mach 1. The extra HP across the entire power band doesnā€™t hurt either in my opinion.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
This is why you might consider a Mach 1. The C&D LL has the Mach 1 tops of the class...even out running the previous record holder...the GT-350...R.

Also I guess the rear end doesn't overheat. Like their test of the PP2

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a38955362/lightning-lap-2
The rear differential is a non issue since it can be fixed with a few dollars worth of thermal wrap and switching to an heavier oil
ā€¦. You must have missed the few posts in this thread addressing this ā€œissue ā€œ

Sponsored

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I think the Mach 1 (even without the HP) is fairly obviously equal to or superior to the PP2 in every meaningful way, but it still makes no sense to upgrade from a PP2 to a Mach 1 unless you get the deal of a lifetime on both your trade-in and your purchase... and maybe not even then, heh.

I came from a 2015 GT PP1, and there were a lot of significant improvements inside and out between that car and my '21 Mach 1, but even then it's not a night and day difference. I don't regret it at all, but it was an emotional decision, not a rational one... And one I struggle to justify when friends ask me about how much it cost me to make the switch, heh. If I had a "refreshed" Stang with the PP2? No question I'd have kept it.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1

Polski

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marek
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP2 401A
Vehicle Showcase
The adaptive cruise control was really helpful when I was in Italy and following my friend that knows his way around, I would just turn it on and the car would stay behind him for hour on the highway etc. BTW, I did not rent a Mustang, it was Alfa Romeo Stelvio... Never rent that shit if you are driving around old old Italian narrow streets :)

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The adaptive cruise control was really helpful when I was in Italy and following my friend that knows his way around, I would just turn it on and the car would stay behind him for hour on the highway etc. BTW, I did not rent a Mustang, it was Alfa Romeo Stelvio... Never rent that shit if you are driving around old old Italian narrow streets :)
What's wrong with regular cruise control? I just find it silly for that being a reason to not get a particular car. I have adaptive cruise in my Accord and I find it annoying because of how it accelerates once someone moves and just wastes gas to get back up to speed. Sometimes it will even over brake when someone pulls in front of you if you have it set to 3 car lengths. Overall, I can definitely live without it and set the cruise myself.