Sponsored

Anyone made the move from a PP2 to a Mach 1?

saleen367

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP N3451 2015 Focus
Sell me on the idea of why this is a good move.

I have a year to decide before the S650 arrives and I'm not sure the S650 is a good fit for me. I'm not into electronics, bells & whistles, but I am into performance.

I don't foresee the S650 to be lighter or better handling, so that leaves me sticking with the PP2 which is fine, or paying an additional $25k now to get a Tremec, coolers and 10 more ponies. Cost wise, it doesn't make sense, but I do like the idea of factory coolers, Tremec with better gear spacing and rev match.

The 2 cars look almost identical, aside from a tape kit and the front bumper cover, so differences in looks are really quite subjective. Having said that, the Mach 's front end is certainly more aggressive.

Of those that switched .... who chose an automatic and how has it performed on track? That part of the equation has me curious but I do enjoy manuals very much.

What am I missing, subjective or otherwise that makes this work?
Sponsored

Pipefittermax

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Max
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2306
Some info for you, the Mach1 is the only Mustang I have owned. No regrets, it's an absolute joy to drive.

mach-1-comparison.jpg

Last edited:

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP

I have a year to decide before the S650 arrives and I'm not sure the S650 is a good fit for me. I'm not into electronics, bells & whistles, but I am into performance.

I don't foresee the S650 to be lighter or better handling, so that leaves me sticking with the PP2 which is fine, or paying an additional $25k now to get a Tremec, coolers and 10 more ponies. Cost wise, it doesn't make sense, but I do like the idea of factory coolers, Tremec with better gear spacing and rev match.

The 2 cars look almost identical, aside from a tape kit and the front bumper cover, so differences in looks are really quite subjective. Having said that, the Mach 's front end is certainly more aggressive.

Of those that switched .... who chose an automatic and how has it performed on track? That part of the equation has me curious but I do enjoy manuals very much.

The PP2 is and will remain much, much rarer than the M1
If you don’t aggressively track your car, no need for coolers
If you track your car, usually wrapping the exhaust around the differential and using 75/140 gear oil, take care of the rear differential
A good quality oil cooler, i like the horizontal design of the Harrop, can be had for less than $1k
That leave us with the tranny, a new Tremec can be installed for around $4k
As for the 10 hp difference, it’s well within engine tolerance and is a non issue
Anyhow, you have by far the rarest S550 Mustang
For me , it would not even be a question

traxiii

Mustang is my middle name
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Thunderbird F150 & '22 Mach 1 on order.
You waited too late to get a descent price on a Mach 1. Just get the Tremec and the GT Calibration w/Cold Air Intake Kit and go have fun.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Some info for you, the Mach1 is the only Mustang I have owned. No regrets, it's an absolute joy to drive.

mach-1-comparison-jpg.jpg
I have done some searching. What is the subframe V-brace?

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
You waited too late to get a descent price on a Mach 1. Just get the Tremec and the GT Calibration w/Cold Air Intake Kit and go have fun.
Agreed. The Ford Performance Tune will get you Mach1 engine performance.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra

Someone just listed a 3160 in the classifieds. I would look into that. He is asking $2k so for additional $1500 or so you could have an entire transmission swap (clutch, custom driveshaft, shifter) for under $5k and still keep your old trans or sell and that will give you some money back. If I had $2k to spend I would've gotten it yesterday. Just my thoughts...

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
No question, best value for your buck. Keep the PP2.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
If I had a PP2, I wouldn't swap. I moved from a 2017 GT Premium PP so it was really a no brainer when Vroom.com was on crack for giving me more money than I paid for the car brand new.

Sponsored

trackd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
August
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP2 (SOLD), 73 240Z RB26DETT
The PP2 is and will remain much, much rarer than the M1
If you don’t aggressively track your car, no need for coolers
If you track your car, usually wrapping the exhaust around the differential and using 75/140 gear oil, take care of the rear differential
A good quality oil cooler, i like the horizontal design of the Harrop, can be had for less than $1k
That leave us with the tranny, a new Tremec can be installed for around $4k
As for the 10 hp difference, it’s well within engine tolerance and is a non issue
Anyhow, you have by far the rarest S550 Mustang
For me , it would not even be a question
Keeping mine for that small rarity. As far as tracking, it's been flawless except for eating Sport Cup 2s. So far has not needed a diff cooler, even in hot So CA, just a good exhaust wrap like stated above. I do run a fan under the diff between sessions, helps. Tremec might be in the works later but the MT82 has no shifting issues so far.

I'd say keep it.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I have done some searching. What is the subframe V-brace?
It a small stamped metal brace underneath the car with the open part of the V facing forward and using 6 bolts
The plastic shields that incorporate the flap for the oil filter screw to it

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
I got rid of my PP2 because the shifting got old and the recaros weren't for me. But like the previous replies mention, it is a rare and special mustang that can be adapted to your needs.

I sold it and ended up in a GT350 and now the shifting suddenly isn't a problem anymore and it has the h & c seats. So not exactly PP2 to M1 but the closest comparison possibly. I'm happy I switched. Then again, maybe it's the 66 more ponies and the FPC sound.

I don't think you can lose with whatever decision you make. Hopefully you find that happy place. Let us know.

Edit: As for the auto, I don't know what the calibration is on the M1 auto, but on the GT cars, it's a fabulous transmission. Aggressive when you want it, holds gears, quick shifts. Lots of fun.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I got rid of my PP2 because the shifting got old and the recaros weren't for me. But like the previous replies mention, it is a rare and special mustang that can be adapted to your needs.

I sold it and ended up in a GT350 and now the shifting suddenly isn't a problem anymore and it has the h & c seats. So not exactly PP2 to M1 but the closest comparison possibly. I'm happy I switched. Then again, maybe it's the 66 more ponies and the FPC sound.

I don't think you can lose with whatever decision you make. Hopefully you find that happy place. Let us know.

Edit: As for the auto, I don't know what the calibration is on the M1 auto, but on the GT cars, it's a fabulous transmission. Aggressive when you want it, holds gears, quick shifts. Lots of fun.

The shifting did not get old you did .......LMAO
Sponsored