Les

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lester
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350-Ruby Red, 12 Roush RS3 Kona Blue, 33 Ford
Vehicle Showcase
I'm actually moving my car cleaning operation to a place that's in shade most of the day.
When the glass is hot ANY product you use on the glass will dry up way to fast. Same with polishing the paint, never in the sun. Looking forward to your reply!
Sponsored

groove93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Brown
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium
On my Camaro I used 0000 Steel Wool to remove stubborn water spots. This was more effective than using a Clay Bar for me. Once the glass was cleaned, I used Invisible Glass or Rain-X.

I haven't tried this method on my Mustang because these Driver-side, Passenger-side, and Rear glass are all tinted. Although 0000 Steel Wool is less abrasive, I don't want to run the risk of damaging tint. So I may test it on a corner where it's less visible.

I purchased Gyeon Glass to try it out this weekend. Hopefully this will simplify things for me.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Been using Invisible Glass for a while now. Soak the towel and follow it up with an old 100% cotton t-shirt. Works pretty good but I need that kit ^ for the back window and for the sake of my own back.

Invisible Glass is great. I use waffle weave towels from the rag company and I was able to get the windows pretty much streak free

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
One step closer to madness...and it pains me to keep writing about this! I had the same issue again yesterday. I did have to wash in the sunlight. Followed up later in the evening in the shade with my usual "mop up" method which made things better but not perfect still 😟 I saw the results of my hard work on a morning drive in direct sunlight.

I'd like to rephrase "streaks" to "wipe marks". I can see the fine "trails" of the microfiber where I've been wiping. Saw this on the inside & outside. No matter how much I buff with a dry towel, can't seem to get them down to a level I'm happy with! :explode:

My final dry towel is a plush, fairly thick microfiber probably better suited to polish/sealant residue removal. Given that I've tried every type of glass towel out there, I'm reluctant to blame the towels.

Whilst driving I did start to think maybe I have a contamination issue. I'm lazy when it comes to washing my towels - all goes in one wash, no special detergent. Tumbled dry. Ready for the next use.

One of the products I use is a tire gel, which I usually level out with a microfibre cloth afterwards, to take the shine down a touch. It does pick up some greasy residue as you may imagine, but that microfiber goes in the same wash as my glass cleaning towels. From the results I get, you would think I'm using that dirty microfibre to clean the windows! But thinking about it, if my glass cleaning cloths are in any way contaminated from that, then i@m sure it's just adding to my troubles.

Likely a combination of things, but I'll be doing my best to fully decontaminate the glass when I next get a chance, work in the shade, and I'll be using some variation of a 3 towel method with some new, uncontaminated cloths. Likely short pile, "utility" or "polishing" cloths which I have a few of, unopened.

Apologies for the morning ramble.

Benzo1982

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT S550
Best results I got, and it took a fair bit of effort, was with G Techniq products from the cleaner right through to the rain repellent finisher. Their general glass cleaner with a waffle weave cloth seems to do the interior job quite well. That back window though, as you say..... Need to train a monkey to get that done!

Sponsored

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
Kristian87 - I’d look into a dedicated microfiber detergent like micro-restore or rags to riches. If the laundry detergent your currently using has fabric softener this will cause issues. Recommend keeping glass towels separate from any gel/cleaner.

Try something more aggressive than standard window cleaner like angel wax vision, be careful around tinted window edges.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Kristian87 - I’d look into a dedicated microfiber detergent like micro-restore or rags to riches. If the laundry detergent your currently using has fabric softener this will cause issues. Recommend keeping glass towels separate from any gel/cleaner.
The more I think about it, the more I feel this is my main issue. I've got a list of a few new towels to pick up, so will 100% be washing them with more care now.

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Kristian: I think I have tried most every possible method to return the glass to pristine condition.

The ONLY thing that worked for me was to DA polish the glass with a fine pad and M205. That got everything off and I mean everything. Followed up with OG's Wolf coating. The glass looks brand new.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just a couple of comments from me, some from new experiences and some from old - but they may help you @Kristian87 :like:

Time consuming, but the best stuff I have used (ever) on glass is the autoglym car glass polish. Not the thin liquid type, the blue cream paste type :

1618487589928.png

I say time consuming as its applied more like a cleaner wax - apply / buff / haze / buff off.

I have used it in direct sun and other than the fumes being a little strong, it hasn't had any negative effect - other than it hazing over very quickly.

When this stuff is buffed off it leaves nothing and its like removing a wax once it has hazed, you have either removed it all or you haven't.

I don't use it often and I am not sure I would want to do the back screen on a mustang with it - climbing in the back once is bad enough, why do it twice for the buffing off :cwl:

Hopefully they haven't changed / dulled down the recipe over the years (I still have a very old bottle) ...

Second point is cloths - like you I have been struggling :frown:

I have found that even with everything clean and with brand new (traditional) style invisible glass microfibre bonnets on the invisible glass handle, if you work the product for too long / until it is dry the microfibre can shed very small fibres that catch the sunlight and look like streaks.

I don't seem to be able to find (in the UK) the nice waffle weave bonnets for the invisible glass handle i.e. these type that @DFB5.0 uses :

1618488157315.png

I had some waffle weave hand held pads that I tried and using all the same techniques with the invisible glass they worked perfectly.

I am now considering recycling up my old waffle weave drying towels for use on glass. I still have an early / very old one of these :

1618488344275.png

That came in a clear plastic storage tube :like:

For me, the waffle microfiber seems to work much better than traditional 'fluffy' microfibers on glass.

WD :like:

OP
OP
Kristian87

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Kristian: I think I have tried most every possible method to return the glass to pristine condition.

The ONLY thing that worked for me was to DA polish the glass with a fine pad and M205. That got everything off and I mean everything. Followed up with OG's Wolf coating. The glass looks brand new.
Definitely been a long time since I coated mine. I do have some Adams Polishes glass sealant somewhere.

I'm assuming that makes maintenance much easier whilst the coating is still young? I have in my mind a window clean for a maintenance wash should be 10 mins of wiping and buffing, twice as long for the interior

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Kristian: You have described to the tee my cleaning process now after coating the car and the glass. My experience so far sure sounds like your wish. Takes half the time to wash the car with better results.

Saw Matt at OG scurrying around on a stool dragging his bucket of wheel cleaning stuff and pulled my mechanic's chair off the wall and gave it a try. Had a shelf below...worked perfectly. :cool:

Picked up a wheel sprayer for the wheel cleaning chemical and plan to build a moving platform like Matt's. Bare knees on rock-filled concrete gets old. <grinning>

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase

Used a DA on the underside , su
Definitely been a long time since I coated mine. I do have some Adams Polishes glass sealant somewhere.

I'm assuming that makes maintenance much easier whilst the coating is still young? I have in my mind a window clean for a maintenance wash should be 10 mins of wiping and buffing, twice as long for the interior
Oh man, I just fainted ............at the thought.
Sponsored