Sponsored

Anyone else get this? Weird hesitation.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sometimes my GT exhibits a weird hesitation under certain circumstances.

For example, if I let off the throttle and then immediately re apply there can be a slight stumble. Or when taking off from a stop, it seems really sluggish unless i rev it to 1900 or greater RPM when taking off and then it “comes back to life” after it works through the weird stumble.

Sometimes when accelerating from lower RPM’s there’s a slight hesitation that can be heard in the exhaust. It doesn’t feel like a traditional misfire and the car doesn’t lose all power but it’s definitely down on power momentarily.

I had the intake manifold replaced under warranty a few thousand miles ago and it’s not the same symptoms where it will misfire at cruising speeds. No check engine lights and it’s not bad gas, this is a long term intermittent ordeal.
Sponsored

torqued

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
If I bog the engine down trying to launch it from a stop it'll be a moment before it decides to get going again. But I've had that on my 3V and 2V Mustangs as well.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
If I bog the engine down trying to launch it from a stop it'll be a moment before it decides to get going again. But I've had that on my 3V and 2V Mustangs as well.
Yeah pretty similar sensation. I don’t recall my 2V ever doing it. Just felt like it was always there. Of course it has a fraction of the electronics this car does and actually had a throttle cable. Lol.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1

For example, if I let off the throttle and then immediately re apply there can be a slight stumble. Or when taking off from a stop, it seems really sluggish unless i rev it to 1900 or greater RPM when taking off and then it “comes back to life” after it works through the weird stumble.

Sometimes when accelerating from lower RPM’s there’s a slight hesitation that can be heard in the exhaust. It doesn’t feel like a traditional misfire and the car doesn’t lose all power but it’s definitely down on power momentarily.

I had the intake manifold replaced under warranty a few thousand miles ago and it’s not the same symptoms where it will misfire at cruising speeds. No check engine lights and it’s not bad gas, this is a long term intermittent ordeal.
Pretty sure it's all the torque management and traction control kicking in. I turn off advanced traction control and the car feels much peppier. Even with traction control off I'd still feel it bog down low.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Pretty sure it's all the torque management and traction control kicking in. I turn off advanced traction control and the car feels much peppier. Even with traction control off I'd still feel it bog down low.
Minehas a real bad hesitation from a stop. I'm thinking it's the torque management also. At least I hope that's what it is.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
It's just your car, being a car. In floriduh heat and humidity.

I'd think high IATs and high humidity cause hesitation, especially if you're not running high octane fuel.

Just imagine what your ECU is computing when the atmosphere coming into the car, and what it's measuring at the O2 sensors, shows BIG temps and LOW oxygen.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yes in the Sport+ mode.

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue

- does it do it under hard acceleration only or all the rime?
- have gou tried turning off traction control to see if slight wheel spin is causing the traction control to kick in?
- is the car 100% stock, as in NO mods? If mods, what are they?
- Finally, even with no check engine light on, you need to check to see if you have any PENDING codes. Either borrow a scanner T auto parts store or use free app w/ bluetooth adaptor.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
Minehas a real bad hesitation from a stop. I'm thinking it's the torque management also. At least I hope that's what it is.
It's an easy test. Hold down the traction control button, when stopped, for 8 seconds. Advancetrac or however Ford spells it, flashes on the dash as being turned off. It won't be a night and day difference, it'll just feel like the car isn't struggling to get moving.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
It's an easy test. Hold down the traction control button, when stopped, for 8 seconds. Advancetrac or however Ford spells it, flashes on the dash as being turned off. It won't be a night and day difference, it'll just feel like the car isn't struggling to get moving.
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Sponsored

racer24crm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chase
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT
I'm pretty sure the hesitation is because of some EPA regulation. It was discussed a while back on this forum when people first started picking up the S550. Something to do with the engine needing to burn off all fuel in the cylinders when the throttle is let off or the car comes to a stop. It has to burn off the fuel before more is dumped in to prevent fuel making it past the engine into the catalytic converter/exhaust and out to the environment. More annoying than anything but I've read that a tune eliminates it.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I always drive with traction off. It does feel like it could be some type of torque management, but it happened even under light acceleration.

It's just your car, being a car. In floriduh heat and humidity.

I'd think high IATs and high humidity cause hesitation, especially if you're not running high octane fuel.

Just imagine what your ECU is computing when the atmosphere coming into the car, and what it's measuring at the O2 sensors, shows BIG temps and LOW oxygen.
That makes sense as well, my IAT’s are usually 100-110+. I always run 93 though.

Yes in the Sport+ mode.
I don’t have drive modes but I either double tap or totally disable TCS.

- have gou tried turning off traction control to see if slight wheel spin is causing the traction control to kick in?
- Finally, even with no check engine light on, you need to check to see if you have any PENDING codes. Either borrow a scanner T auto parts store or use free app w/ bluetooth adaptor.
All the time, but once I go WOT things clear up pretty quick.

I almost never drive with TCS on.

Only mod is a Pypes H Bomb catback.

I have an SCT X4, I should be able to see any stored codes with that, right?

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm pretty sure the hesitation is because of some EPA regulation. It was discussed a while back on this forum when people first started picking up the S550. Something to do with the engine needing to burn off all fuel in the cylinders when the throttle is let off or the car comes to a stop. It has to burn off the fuel before more is dumped in to prevent fuel making it past the engine into the catalytic converter/exhaust and out to the environment. More annoying than anything but I've read that a tune eliminates it.
Wow.. that would be wild. More reason to tune. Lol.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Yep I have it too. Happens under light to medium throttle and it feels like a split second fuel cutoff. It is sporadic though. Usually in second or third gear. Doesn't happen under wot though. I always turn off advance track as soon as I get in the car. Starting to think its a plug or my TB.

OP
OP

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yep I have it too. Happens under light to medium throttle and it feels like a split second fuel cutoff. It is sporadic though. Usually in second or third gear. Doesn't happen under wot though. I always turn off advance track as soon as I get in the car. Starting to think its a plug or my TB.
Yeah pretty much spot on to what I have.

Interesting.
Sponsored