Any Bullitt engine ticks?

Doobie083

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
None
Yeah, me, too. It sounds like super-fast castanets and it's noticeable especially when I'm driving next to something that will reflect sound well like a wall. Mine never goes away, though. And I started to notice some intermittent ticking at idle about 200 miles ago.

I'll have the dealer take a listen and see if there's anything to be done.
My 2011 GT/CS made the same sound for 8 years. I didn't have any negative issues and it never went away even when warm. As of right now, I am not concerned.
Sponsored

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
It's in your gauges under "performance shift indicator" I believe. You can set the RPM and mode of the shift light. I have it at 4K and drag mode right now, just over 500 miles
I have that set, but it certainly hasn't limited my revs. It just has a really quiet "ding" when I pass right through the setting. I know there are 3 options after you set it: Tach, Track, & Drag, I think. Mine's set for tach. Does the drag mode actually stop you at the setting?

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I have that set, but it certainly hasn't limited my revs. It just has a really quiet "ding" when I pass right through the setting. I know there are 3 options after you set it: Tach, Track, & Drag, I think. Mine's set for tach. Does the drag mode actually stop you at the setting?
I think it’s just a warning, not an actual limiter.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Regarding the Tick. I don't think that Ford has ever made a 32v v8 that didn't have a tick. The 4.6 had a form of it and every gen 5.0 has it. I also haven't seen anything based on the threads that the tick is actually directly connected to any issues. SOME(like 4?) cars over the last 7yrs have also had wall scoring, some have also had a cam issues, but no one has seemingly actually connected it with the ticking.

Others have noticed that running a X-w30 or X-w40 oil makes it go away. I had noticed the same with my own Mach1. It was noticeably louder with a 20 than 30 or 40.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
All it is, is an "attention getter" Basically a chime to let you know where your RPM is at, so you don't have to focus on the tach, and can keep your eyes on the road/track.....

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Yes, I have slight noise in accordance with what's described here in this F-150 TSB. Yes, it's not all the time. For the most part, after the engine being warmed up, I don't hear it. The noise itself is not troublesome. However, if it is indicative of detonation, then that would be.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2018...eceleration-acceleration-tsb-18-2354-a-432813
I feel like with how many people have the Tick that if it was detonation then tuners would be noticing it in the knock sensor readings. Also the Knock Sensor should be pulling timing to prevent it. Or do the 5.0 not have one for some reason?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I feel like with how many people have the Tick that if it was detonation then tuners would be noticing it in the knock sensor readings. Also the Knock Sensor should be pulling timing to prevent it. Or do the 5.0 not have one for some reason?
I would also assume the knock sensors to be taking care of any detonation as well, which is why I am not rushing to dealership at this moment. Also, listening to what the calibration does in this video (folks had posted it in some of the other threads but it's difficult to find sometimes; someone just reposted here), it addresses pulse width and the cam phaser operation. The noise that is demonstrated in that video was from the outside and not the inside, so it sounds a bit different than I experience it since i hear it inside. However, the description of the symptoms matches what I am experiencing. Of course, the F150 is going to be tuned differently than the Mustang, so maybe we won't see any update in the future.

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - For
I would also assume the knock sensors to be taking care of any detonation as well, which is why I am not rushing to dealership at this moment. Also, listening to what the calibration does in this video (folks had posted it in some of the other threads but it's difficult to find sometimes; someone just reposted here), it addresses pulse width and the cam phaser operation. The noise that is demonstrated in that video was from the outside and not the inside, so it sounds a bit different than I experience it since i hear it inside. However, the description of the symptoms matches what I am experiencing. Of course, the F150 is going to be tuned differently than the Mustang, so maybe we won't see any update in the future.
Hi - I recognize the niavety of my question, but for those of us with future build dates (Feb for me) can we assume (or hope) that this issue will be taken care of before they install the engines in our cars since they are aware of the issue. This is of course rather disconcerting to a new soon-to-be owner such as myself who has never had a Mustang, or for that matter, any Ford for many years... Bruce

OP
OP
SLOBullitt

SLOBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Hi - For

Hi - I recognize the niavety of my question, but for those of us with future build dates (Feb for me) can we assume (or hope) that this issue will be taken care of before they install the engines in our cars since they are aware of the issue. This is of course rather disconcerting to a new soon-to-be owner such as myself who has never had a Mustang, or for that matter, any Ford for many years... Bruce
I felt the same as you while I was waiting. Personally, I think it was a production issue which reared it's ugly head quickly due to GT drivers who push the vehicle hard. I had an order date of early May and my car came in with a build date of 11/14/18 which was fine by me as I wanted a later production just to be safe. I think the earlier build Bullitts may still have some vulnerability issues that probably won't pop up for a while because most Bullitt owners didn't buy this car to abuse it. Then again, how many early production Bullitts did ford make available to the media who drove the snot out of them. I don't recall any of them mentioning ticks or knocks. Maybe the "Bullitt" guy Matt something who reviews cars can provide some insight. Why worry, I plan to keep this car forever so if Ford gives me a new engine at 30 something thousand miles I say cool, thank you.

Sponsored

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
‘05 GMC P/U, ‘17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
I felt the same as you while I was waiting. Personally, I think it was a production issue which reared it's ugly head quickly due to GT drivers who push the vehicle hard. I had an order date of early May and my car came in with a build date of 11/14/18 which was fine by me as I wanted a later production just to be safe. I think the earlier build Bullitts may still have some vulnerability issues that probably won't pop up for a while because most Bullitt owners didn't buy this car to abuse it. Then again, how many early production Bullitts did ford make available to the media who drove the snot out of them. I don't recall any of them mentioning ticks or knocks. Maybe the "Bullitt" guy Matt something who reviews cars can provide some insight. Why worry, I plan to keep this car forever so if Ford gives me a new engine at 30 something thousand miles I say cool, thank you.
It does make one think about getting an extended warranty... Bruce

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Hi - For

As there are reported issue back to 2011, I see no reason to believe any 2018, 19 or 20 5.0 would be exempt from it.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
My theory is that all 2019s incorporated some minor improvements over some things that were troublesome on 2018s. For example, I don't have solid proof, but I think the shift forks were improved because of the small batch of 2018s that had an issue. Our Bullitts also have a different calibration than regular GTs so that gives me some hope that things will be a little different than the rest of the GTs. The pre-production Bullitt I drove during an event a few months ago was driven hard by journalists and the only thing they noticed was the high-rpm lockout once. It sounded totally normal when I drove it a few times. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm not worried about the sounds personally. Unless there's really loud noises, drivability issues or codes being thrown, I think the whole issue is definitely overhyped.

OP
OP
SLOBullitt

SLOBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
My theory is that all 2019s incorporated some minor improvements over some things that were troublesome on 2018s. For example, I don't have solid proof, but I think the shift forks were improved because of the small batch of 2018s that had an issue. Our Bullitts also have a different calibration than regular GTs so that gives me some hope that things will be a little different than the rest of the GTs. The pre-production Bullitt I drove during an event a few months ago was driven hard by journalists and the only thing they noticed was the high-rpm lockout once. It sounded totally normal when I drove it a few times. Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm not worried about the sounds personally. Unless there's really loud noises, drivability issues or codes being thrown, I think the whole issue is definitely overhyped.
Hmmm.... just saw a post and ford video in the maintenance section regarding a oil spec question. Watch the video if you can. So.....how about this new "Crazy Talk" theory for a Saturday morning. The knock sounds some are hearing is from pre- detonation from oil particles in the combustion chamber. The new Motor Craft oil WSS-M2C945-B1 (5W30) has a pre- detonation formula (according to ford) to help combat the detonation and so when folks immediately changed their oil to another brand (which doesn't have the mystery pre-detonation formula) many reported the car was fine until they changed the oil and now it ticks/knocks. Which leads me to ask do oil catch cans help with that as it keeps oil out of the intake or are the oil particles in the combustion chamber coming from the cylinder walls (bottom end)? I'd be curious to know if folks with catch cans who have changed oils still have the same incidence of tick/knocks or are there more? Lets not forget these are high compression engines. Back in the day 12:1 compression pistons meant race fuel and very dialed in ignition timing or the motor would grenade pretty quick. Factor in the low octane questionable fuel that some people get from their corner store and well....hmm.

As Bullitt mentioned our engines do have unique calibration with mapping that provides different low end torque (i.e. ignition timing) that regular GT's so maybe we have less (or more) to worry about. I checked the MC 5W30 oil I had ordered a few weeks ago. Its the "B1" so at least when I change my oil I'll have the right stuff in it. And I did install a oil catch can when i got the car and just checked it. It had about 3 table spoons or so in it after only 1100 miles. I gotta get off this website before I develop OCD to go along with my newly formed paranoia. :whew:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It had about 3 table spoons or so in it after only 1100 miles. I gotta get off this website before I develop OCD to go along with my newly formed paranoia. :whew:
Also depends on how you drive, if that's 11 100 mile drives you're going to get different than say 10 miles a time. Also how often you step on it.
Sponsored