Sponsored

Any Bullitt engine ticks?

SLOBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
My Bullitt is close to the 1000 mi mark and so far so good. Has anyone had any unusual ticks or knocks coming from their engines like the 2018-2019 Gt owners? Seems like the coyotes in the 2018 F150's have had similar issues but I have heard there are TSB's coming out for them.

I haven't opened her up past 4500rpm yet, but I assume I'll give her the beans at some point and hopefully won't have any issues. Is everyone following the manual on engine break in? Anyone also doing the past recommended engine practice of revving very, very, slowly to red line to allow pressure to build and everything to seat?
Sponsored

aileron

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dick
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt K1191, '20 BMW X3 M40i, '17 BMW 440xi, '14 Ram truck...and 19 old Triumph motorcycles
My Bullitt is close to the 1000 mi mark and so far so good. Has anyone had any unusual ticks or knocks coming from their engines like the 2018-2019 Gt owners? Seems like the coyotes in the 2018 F150's have had similar issues but I have heard there are TSB's coming out for them.

I haven't opened her up past 4500rpm yet, but I assume I'll give her the beans at some point and hopefully won't have any issues. Is everyone following the manual on engine break in? Anyone also doing the past recommended engine practice of revving very, very, slowly to red line to allow pressure to build and everything to seat?
Not me. I'm a believer of getting the rings to the top of the bore while they are still razor sharp, and establishing high BMEP (brake mean effective pressure) to seat the rings. Maintaining low temperatures, and backing off the throttle completely to bring oil up the bores is essential. The other key is ensuring the oil is up to temperature; not easy to do since Ford decided to eliminate OT instrumentation on the Bullitts. I guarantee when the water temp is coming up and the CHT's are up the oil is still under 200F - oil temp is the last to reach operating temperatures... but the most important.

Mine has about 800 miles and hasn't burned 1/16" inch of dipstick oil....but has certainly seen *short* bursts > 7000 rpm. Break-in is more about tires, brakes, transmission and rear end than the engine.

BritishBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt Mustang 2018 UK
Nothing on mine as of yet. :fingerscrossed: Haven't rev past 4100rpm. Have rev limit set to that.

Mine has a rev limiter on at 4500. Can’t seem to work out how to take it off. Just put it up to 8000

Is it always on that limiter ?

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Wish I could limit mine a little. I'd love to set it at 7000 just to be on the safe side.

Sponsored

Bullitt1589

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt #1589
It's in your gauges under "performance shift indicator" I believe. You can set the RPM and mode of the shift light. I have it at 4K and drag mode right now, just over 500 miles

Last edited:

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
3,700 miles on mine and no ticks that I've noticed. I try not to overanalyze what I hear. A lot of people are being really OCD about these noises when there's going to be natural ticking from various parts in this engine under normal operation. Unless I have a really obnoxious sound or drivability issues, I'm not worried. I had one of the first Subaru BRZs and the direct injection system in those things was so loud that at a red light with the windows down it sounded like a swarm of crickets on a summer night lol. And that engine was totally healthy. The Bullitt is Rolls-Royce quiet in comparison haha.

BritishBullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bullitt Mustang 2018 UK
It's in your gauges under "performance shift indicator" I believe. You can set the RPM and mode of the shift light. I have it at 4K and drag mode right now, just over $500 miles
Awesome ok. Will have a look later

Doobie083

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
None
I have a little bit of the engine rattle at about 2000 RPM, but it's usual gone in 5 minutes. No tick... knock on wood.

Sponsored

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I have a little bit of the engine rattle at about 2000 RPM, but it's usual gone in 5 minutes. No tick... knock on wood.
Yeah, me, too. It sounds like super-fast castanets and it's noticeable especially when I'm driving next to something that will reflect sound well like a wall. Mine never goes away, though. And I started to notice some intermittent ticking at idle about 200 miles ago.

I'll have the dealer take a listen and see if there's anything to be done.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
3,700 miles on mine and no ticks that I've noticed. I try not to overanalyze what I hear. A lot of people are being really OCD about these noises when there's going to be natural ticking from various parts in this engine under normal operation. Unless I have a really obnoxious sound or drivability issues, I'm not worried. I had one of the first Subaru BRZs and the direct injection system in those things was so loud that at a red light with the windows down it sounded like a swarm of crickets on a summer night lol. And that engine was totally healthy. The Bullitt is Rolls-Royce quiet in comparison haha.
Compared to the gt350 I use to own my Bullitt purrs like a kitten. As for the gt350, there was a pronounced piston slap on warm up but was still somewhat noticeable but the exhaust took care of that. I have read the there is the BBQ tick which I am not even sure what that is but sounds like it may be overhyped. I guess in time we will see.

The only thing I can really complain about would be there is no oil temp gauge alongside the oil pressure gauge like I had on my gt350.

Last edited:

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
Purrs like a cat, waiting to release those 480 thoroughbred ponies...….

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Compared to the gt350 I use to own my Bullitt purrs like a kitten. As for the gt350, there was a pronounced piston slap on warm up but was still somewhat noticeable but the exhaust took care of that. I have read the there is the BBQ tick which I am not even sure what that is but sounds like it may be overhyped. I guess in time we will see.

The only thing I can really complain about would be there is no oil temp gauge alongside the oil pressure gauge like I had on my gt350.
Yeah I miss the oil temp gauge too. Now it's a guessing game.
Sponsored