Sponsored

Another owner changes to solid lug nuts...........

burrpenick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
george
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
How much did FORD save by using those SS covered nuts? Mine were messed up when I bought the car(used). Would have been a NIGHTMARE if I had a flat on the road.......actually it was anyway! I ordered new ones from American Muscle and changed one wheel w/moderate issues getting them off, but the other rear wheel was on there. I tried to pound the socket on, but finally gave up and took it to the tire shop close by and they did the other 3 wheels for $5. Still have not tackled the coolant change or received my new Super Snake white stripe, but Im getting there!
Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
How much did FORD save by using those SS covered nuts? Mine were messed up when I bought the car(used). Would have been a NIGHTMARE if I had a flat on the road.......actually it was anyway! I ordered new ones from American Muscle and changed one wheel w/moderate issues getting them off, but the other rear wheel was on there. I tried to pound the socket on, but finally gave up and took it to the tire shop close by and they did the other 3 wheels for $5. Still have not tackled the coolant change or received my new Super Snake white stripe, but Im getting there!
The same company that won the bid to supply Ford with those craptastic lug nuts also sells the solid ones under a different brand name. So that company gets a chance to have 2 sets on a unit instead of one, Either because of owners that know to replace them asap, or when they swell and need to be replaced.
To the suppler/vender this is a win ,win.

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
A few weeks back the factory lugs started becoming deformed after about 3 times of pulling/reinstalling wheels/tire (I was incredibly careful each time, no impact used). Car was brand new. DiscountTire sold me these West Coast Accessories splined lug nut kit with lock, but they donā€™t feel like steel - not sure Iā€™d recommend them. Probably better than stock, but the Gorillas look solid. West Coast are a pain to get the nut started on the lug too, so I ordered the Gorilla race lugs just now since Iā€™ll be pulling wheels/tires frequently.

ACACF682-6219-437F-99FB-069E4937497D.jpeg
1AE44FB4-4935-4C23-AF46-B67B9135E336.png

Last edited:

Sponsored

Smunczen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt pp2
One the first things I did with the money for sure.

OP
OP
burrpenick

burrpenick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
george
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
If anyone is looking.............American Muscle offers a complete set of solid chrome ones for $14.99 SHIPPED. Even though I dont live in an area w/salted roads, I always put a coat of wax on them before install. I was very happy w/them. Yes, they are 13/16

frank_white

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible, Velocity Blue
If anyone is looking.............American Muscle offers a complete set of solid chrome ones for $14.99 SHIPPED. Even though I dont live in an area w/salted roads, I always put a coat of wax on them before install. I was very happy w/them. Yes, they are 13/16
Also, they have a set of black ones for $20 ish. What makes the Gorilla ones worth 6x the price??

OP
OP
burrpenick

burrpenick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
george
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
Also, they have a set of black ones for $20 ish. What makes the Gorilla ones worth 6x the price??
name is my suspicion, but those were extra long and knurled which I think w/look odd. These looked and went on/off just fine.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
The Gorilla's are more expensive because the materials used are of higher quality. The finish they use doesn't flake or chip off as easily as most lugs.

I'd say Gorilla's are a lot more durable than your typical cheap lugs that American Muscle or any other parts company sells. The White Knight lugs that Amazon and a few other places sell are complete crap.

If you think Gorilla's are expensive, check out McGard. But then again you get what you pay for. I haven't heard a single bad thing about McGards.

Sponsored

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
When you're on the road or track going 125mph you'll have peace of mind you have Gorilla's.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
name is my suspicion, but those were extra long and knurled which I think w/look odd. These looked and went on/off just fine.
I put cheap ($20ish) E-bay solid lugs on my Edge that were "chrome" they've been off once and have rust on the edges. And Atlanta is hardly the rust belt...
My black splined Gorillas have been off 4 or 5 time and look brand new. I don't regret spending the money on them.

Reap

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harald
Vehicle(s)
1999 Mustang 2017 Mustang
I received my Gorilla nuts today and will install on next tire rotation so everybody can see them.šŸ˜

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
The metal they are formed from and how they are made, and plating if any.
You would not use hardware store grade bolts to bolt down heads or your chassis parts, why would you do that to your wheel lug nuts that is under heavy loading from every angle?
Gradma's econo box that is never pushed and the wheels come off once every other year , maybe.
But soft metal threads and on and off cycles = failure.
I have a set of mc guard and gorilla's that are over a decade old, and the plating isn't flaking or lugs showing rust.

frank_white

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible, Velocity Blue
The metal they are formed from and how they are made, and plating if any.
You would not use hardware store grade bolts to bolt down heads or your chassis parts, why would you do that to your wheel lug nuts that is under heavy loading from every angle?
Gradma's econo box that is never pushed and the wheels come off once every other year , maybe.
But soft metal threads and on and off cycles = failure.
I have a set of mc guard and gorilla's that are over a decade old, and the plating isn't flaking or lugs showing rust.
So not thay I disagree with what you're saying. But does that mean the OEM lugs are going to fail? Or that they're not good enough?
Sponsored