Another GT Brake Upgrade Story

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I have been toying with the idea of going with the GT350R brake kit though, honestly, it would wind up being the most irresponsible purchase I ever made given that the car may never see the tract. The forces pushing me towards this kit are:

1) The PP and Bullitt brake kits (same brakes/different colors) add a good amount of weight.
2) I have not seen any literature as to differential weight of the GT350R set-up.
3) The GT350 kit comes with beefier replacement half-shafts which is attractive given that I currently have 670HP at the crank and will be raising this, and will soon be putting on very grippy tires. This somewhat offsets the high cost of the brakes, themselves
3) I am not comfortable with other big brake kits such as from Baer and Wildwood, both for reasons of cost and reputation, and these kits seem to be far less complete than those offered by Ford Performance
4) I am not about flash (I would actually get the black caliper version of the GT350 kit) but, at the same time, I really do not like the look of the stock GT calipers and rotors, and, besides, the stock rotor design is heavy and poor at dissipating heat.
5) I am not sure about PowerStop-like solutions due to them not publishing their weight specs and uncertainty as to their durability and performance.
6) I do not like the look of hand painting the existing calipers
7) It makes no sense to me to have the exiting calipers powder coated; I would rather put that money toward the GT350R kit.

I just cannot bring myself to pull the trigger on a $4K brake modification....but I had no problem putting out that kind of money for the supercharger.....
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Just hand your wife $2000 "Honey I can't figure a good use for this money, so I'm giving it to you" she'll allay your mental anxiety and spare you future anguish. All out of her abiding love for you.

I would put the 2-4000 in tires and track time. Or in the coffee can on the mantle that says "sh*t my engine just blew up" fund.

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Just hand your wife $2000 "Honey I can't figure a good use for this money, so I'm giving it to you" she'll allay your mental anxiety and spare you future anguish. All out of her abiding love for you.

I would put the 2-4000 in tires and track time. Or in the coffee can on the mantle that says "sh*t my engine just blew up" fund.
You sound like the voice in my head that says inexpensively upgrade the pads, lines, rotors and fluid and take the wife out for a good dinner

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
For well less than a grand you can upgrade to a GT PP 6 piston Brembo setup and call it a day.
Calipers, pads, rotors and Shields can be had for $500. Easy install.
Forget upgrading the rears.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
For less than a grand, you can go with the GT350 front brake setup. Yes it will add some weight, but it's a worthwhile upgrade especially with your power.

Sponsored

boostmark

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush RS2, 2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost, 1998 E150
Here is the thing who wants to stop anyway but the PP 6 piston brakes are great for street use. I`m supercharged as well and these will haul you down to a stop in no time anyway. 0.96 G. Find some of these used and rebuild them. 3-5 pounds will not make any difference.

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
For well less than a grand you can upgrade to a GT PP 6 piston Brembo setup and call it a day.
Calipers, pads, rotors and Shields can be had for $500. Easy install.
Forget upgrading the rears.
This was one of my considerations. It is around $1400. The Brembo calipers are very good. On the other hand, the 15" Ford rotors add a very good amount of unsprung weight

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
For less than a grand, you can go with the GT350 front brake setup. Yes it will add some weight, but it's a worthwhile upgrade especially with your power.
you keep posting that but I sure haven't run across a deal that good

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)

Do you have a link for this?

BTW, my understanding is that neither the base GT350 not the GT350R brakes will fit on the base GT, and that the very expensive GT350R brake kit includes adapting hardware as it is specifically targeted at the base GT/Eco

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
You could go with PP 6piston calipers and instead of the OE rotors go for 2 piece, probably you'll end up in the same ball park of $1400 if you source the components individually yourself

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
You could go with PP 6piston calipers and instead of the OE rotors go for 2 piece, probably you'll end up in the same ball park of $1400 if you source the components individually yourself
That is a thought!!!

BTW, I have seen pictures of the PP upgrade kit where the calipers are a kind of matte grayish color and other pictures where they are a pure black.....I want to sort this out; I would prefer the pure black

RacerX#99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Auto, 2018 Edge SEL
I have been toying with the idea of going with the GT350R brake kit though, honestly, it would wind up being the most irresponsible purchase I ever made given that the car may never see the tract. The forces pushing me towards this kit are:

1) The PP and Bullitt brake kits (same brakes/different colors) add a good amount of weight.
2) I have not seen any literature as to differential weight of the GT350R set-up.
3) The GT350 kit comes with beefier replacement half-shafts which is attractive given that I currently have 670HP at the crank and will be raising this, and will soon be putting on very grippy tires. This somewhat offsets the high cost of the brakes, themselves
3) I am not comfortable with other big brake kits such as from Baer and Wildwood, both for reasons of cost and reputation, and these kits seem to be far less complete than those offered by Ford Performance
4) I am not about flash (I would actually get the black caliper version of the GT350 kit) but, at the same time, I really do not like the look of the stock GT calipers and rotors, and, besides, the stock rotor design is heavy and poor at dissipating heat.
5) I am not sure about PowerStop-like solutions due to them not publishing their weight specs and uncertainty as to their durability and performance.
6) I do not like the look of hand painting the existing calipers
7) It makes no sense to me to have the exiting calipers powder coated; I would rather put that money toward the GT350R kit.

I just cannot bring myself to pull the trigger on a $4K brake modification....but I had no problem putting out that kind of money for the supercharger.....
I am a firm believer of buying a car for what I am going to use it for, you said you are not going to do and track days I assume you mean HPDE/Open track days on a road course. The brakes on the GT will bring you to a stop on any drag strip or street situation you might encounter. I had a 2012 Mustang with the Brembo brakes package because I was doing track days but the standard brakes on any GT are IMO just as good as the 2012 Brembo brakes. The only difference in track brakes and street brakes is that track brakes can handle multiple hard braking without overheating. Probably half the guys going for the performance packages will never see any track time but the will have track cred at the car shows. My 2021 will never see any track days but I still like have the Coyote power even though I am pushing 80.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Do you have a link for this?

BTW, my understanding is that neither the base GT350 not the GT350R brakes will fit on the base GT, and that the very expensive GT350R brake kit includes adapting hardware as it is specifically targeted at the base GT/Eco
They don't, but a few companies make a bracket kit which is ALOT cheaper than buying the overpriced kit from FP. Here is my cost breakdown:

Calipers: $500 (from a dealer)
Pads: $70 (Powerstop Z26)
Rotors: $125 (15" steel)
Adapters: $200 (from LMR)
Studs: $150 (optional from Caliperfexion)

1643412501986.jpeg
Sponsored