Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Coilovers another $4K + project for good ones....might be better to get used Miata modded car for track than dump money in a 4,000 lb (wet) car and to try and save money.

I'm close to abandoning an audio upgrade because the cost/benefit keeps degrading as I plan it out lol.
I am not looking to make tracking a major part of my life that I would get a second car specialized for that purpose. This car is primarily a cruiser that has enough power and handling finesse that it would be fun for me to drive on a track, in a non-competitive way, unencumbered by street constraints.

Having said this, I am putting the track idea aside, maybe for good, as most tracks require roll-over protection which I am currently not interested in installing.

As to the coilovers, my current springs and dampers are those of the FP Track Handing Kit. The FP kit, along with a bunch of BMR chassis and suspension stabilizing components have made for a really great handling car.....the performance shop where I last had work done commented that it was one of the best handling Mustangs he has come across, which surprised him, it being a convertible.

As nicely handling my current set-up is, it does make for a hard ride. The coilovers should allow me to maintain the car's current good handling (and possibly improve on it) while, at the same time, being less harsh.

I don't see that I will need to spend $4,000 for the coilovers. --- I am seeing something more in the area of $1,500. Pedders has a few models that range between $1,200 and $2,200.

Cars, in general, are bad financial investments. Modifying cars are particularly bad financial investments. ....but, here we are doing it to different extents and in many different ways.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Try swapping dampers for steeda proactive seems it's a good fit with OE springs....re coil overs you get what you pay for..like anything
Do you have a particular coilover product in mind that costs $4K and that you see as being much better than those from firms such as KW, Roush, Peddlers and SR whose prices range between around $1.5K and $2.5K.

I am not keen on only changing the dampers, as I might not be able to realize an optimal configuration with only having adjustability in the dampers, i.e. not having it also in the spring set-up. In addition, I would have to do a lot of research to be sure that any separately sold adjustable dampers matched well to my FP (non-oem) springs.

For adjustable dampers you would go with Steeda over MCS?

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I'm including install, alignment and misc plus hours of calibration time. Assuming Ohlins are the way to go. I thought I saw one that has a comfort spring rate but don't recall otherwise my sense is all are very stiff.

I would not go with adjustable dampers personally, but some here have great success for daily.

It's really a question of desired outcome and lifespan for your climatez road conditions and use. Sometimes more compliance is faster.

It seems that Ohlins and KW are well regarded in the BMW world (I still look in on those forums), and if one went with either of their higher end, more flexible (adjustable) solutions, the cost would indeed get to around $4K when you factor in installation and alignment.

Thanks

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
For adjustable dampers you would go with Steeda over MCS?
MCS makes coilovers (assume you're talking about Motion Control Suspension) and they're not even in same ballpark of anything that Steeda makes. Also, no reason to spend MCS money on a street car (IMHO).

OP
OP
Bobby57

Bobby57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
MCS makes coilovers (assume you're talking about Motion Control Suspension) and they're not even in same ballpark of anything that Steeda makes. Also, no reason to spend MCS money on a street car (IMHO).
I have the FP Track Handling Kit. I’m pretty happy with handling but would prefer less harshness. I understand that there are coilover solutions that can get me less harshness without loss (and maybe improvement) of handling.

I’m OK spending money

Sponsored