waltrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium PP1, 401A, 6MT
Hey y'all.

Just wanted to check up on something and get some suggestions.

While I lived in Germany, I had a much MUCH curvier ride home and drove those with some enthusiasm. Just moved to Tampa FL, and my commute is now mostly flat and highway driving.

I'm lowered on Steeda Ultralite Extreme springs, with MM CC plates.

Took my car into a local shop who was very highly regarded in my area. Gave them my requested specs, slipped the tech $40 and left.

Came back to these numbers on the bottom.
B5B9D4BC-8BA5-4C3D-A6F4-BB5B8FD9ED5A.jpeg

They said they couldn't adjust the rear camber. No problem, I showed them where to adjust and let them try again. Got this back.
0E6054F1-25F9-44EE-8381-9B94EB3CE0F8.jpeg

It was closing time for them by then, so I let it go. Still wasn't too stoked about some of the numbers, but it was better.

Came back today and had the shop owner check it all out. Got this back. "This is the best I am gonna get this thing."
F59D3F05-AA08-4333-A0B0-781C99A70B88.jpeg

My first question is, am I being dramatic for being unhappy with this?

My second question, anybody got some suggestions for shops to do an alignment in the Tampa/Brandon area? 😂
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What specs did you ask for?

The rear is only 0.3 different, which isn't too terrible (the rear is a PITA to adjust - camber and toe cross talk, so if you move one the other moves too. He probably had it closer but when he fixed the toe trying to wrap it up, the camber shifted again for the worse, and he ran out of patience....)

but yeah, its kind of all over the place. I wouldn't be happy with the front being 0.6 different.

If you paid for a $100 alignment, you might have gotten what you asked for. If you paid $200, well, I'd expect better and would be looking for a new shop for next time.

OP
OP
waltrs

waltrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
What specs did you ask for?

The rear is only 0.3 different, which isn't too terrible (the rear is a PITA to adjust - camber and toe cross talk, so if you move one the other moves too. He probably had it closer but when he fixed the toe trying to wrap it up, the camber shifted again for the worse, and he ran out of patience....)

but yeah, its kind of all over the place. I wouldn't be happy with the front being 0.6 different.

If you paid for a $100 alignment, you might have gotten what you asked for. If you paid $200, well, I'd expect better and would be looking for a new shop for next time.
I asked for:
-1.2 F Camber
0.05 F Toe
7.5 Caster

-1.5 R Camber
0.10 R Toe
0 Thrust Angle

Paid 175.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
I go to firestone with unlimited alignments. I'm lowered and wanted my rear to be closer to 0 camber, but best I could get was -1.5 degrees, even after adjustable camber arms. Its still a PITA to mess with. It takes a special technician at a shop to get it perfect.

To adjust rear camber you need to play with the slot in the upper control arm. To do this you need the wheels off the hub.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
To adjust rear camber you need to play with the slot in the upper control arm. To do this you need the wheels off the hub.
Thats incorrect. The slot is inboard where the camber arm connects to the subframe and its accessible just fine from underneath when on an alignment rack. Its still a pain to nail both camber and toe at the same time to 0.05 degree of precision but its not such a pain that the wheel has to come on and off.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
actually you can do it on the rack with the weight on the tires. Take your long prybar and move the arm.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
actually you can do it on the rack with the weight on the tires. Take your long prybar and move the arm.
Tightening the upper control arm is a very tight space. I guess with the right tools it could be possible, but I had to remove the wheel to tighten it all up.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Giant red flag with this shop. On your top 2 sheets it has (Modified Specifications). This means the tech went in and modified the maximum and minimum limits to make something show up as green that should have been red. There are very few legitimate reasons to do this. In your case, the front camber adjustments pushed caster out of spec. Instead of explaining that, he took the low road and changed the specs hoping nobody would notice and ask questions. His boss either has more integrity, or didn't no how to manipulate the machine.

OP
OP
waltrs

waltrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Giant red flag with this shop. On your top 2 sheets it has (Modified Specifications). This means the tech went in and modified the maximum and minimum limits to make something show up as green that should have been red. There are very few legitimate reasons to do this. In your case, the front camber adjustments pushed caster out of spec. Instead of explaining that, he took the low road and changed the specs hoping nobody would notice and ask questions. His boss either has more integrity, or didn't no how to manipulate the machine.
Which is weird that they'd do that, I told them I didn't care about "getting in the green" as long as the numbers were right. I'm 99% sure my requested specs are within factory anyway.. oh well. $200 down the drain, i'll take it somewhere else.

Anyone in Tampa, don't take your S550 to A Plus Suspension!!

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I guess with the right tools it could be possible, but I had to remove the wheel to tighten it all up.
There is a reason mechanics have lots of tools.

Sponsored

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
There is a reason mechanics have lots of tools.
With adjustable camber arms the camber can be adjusted on the rack, but I don't see how it could be done without aftermarket parts installed.

OP
OP
waltrs

waltrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
With adjustable camber arms the camber can be adjusted on the rack, but I don't see how it could be done without aftermarket parts installed.
Stock setup: The inner mounting point on the subframe for the arm is slotted. It's a bitch to get to and hard to do fine adjustments, but it's very very possible on a rack. A lot of people don't know how/where. Weird setup but still possible!

jmagnus87

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Magnus
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Comp Orange '22 Chevy Silverado
i literally just got done installing the BMR adjustable camber arms with lockout plates on my car and went for an alignment today. the mechanic is an incredible mechanic, i know him personally and he had a heck of a time trying to adjust mine because the 1.5" hex nuts on the arms are quite hard to get at with everything installed.
When i had my previous alignment done, i had another buddy of mine do it. i watched him do that one, and the eccentric bolt/washer combo were much easier to get at, but harder to fine tune, especially when changing the toe at the same time as previously mentioned.

OP, IMO, you need to find a better shop to do it. make sure you write them a bad review on google if you haven't already. even if the numbers aren't exactly what you were looking for, at the very least they can get each side to match or be .1 off of each other. my guys got mine today within .1 on cambers and within .02 on toe adjustments and i have 345/30R19s for rear tires... the guy did a phenomenal job and you shouldn't accept anything less than that.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Any seasoned mechanic can adjust rear camber in minuets.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Not only - supposed to.

Like what you don't see ? I've done and saw it done multiple times, just need to be creating with long reach wrenches to unbolt inboard mount of the camber arm. It can be done from underneath the car, just is not east and you need car on the lift - on jackstands might not be possible (but suspension needs to be loaded anyway).
Sponsored