Annoyned by dealership refusing a test drive

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Car sales people only care about themselves and everything comes down to them making a dollar above all else...dealership profit or customer satisfaction be damned.

Then they wonder why people of their ilk are held in so low regard.
So you're butthurt, and you've formed a generalization about many thousands of people you don't know as some outlet for your own hatred but they're the evil ones? And you're some kind of saint in this scenario?
Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
So you're butthurt, and you've formed a generalization about many thousands of people you don't know as some outlet for your own hatred but they're the evil ones? And you're some kind of saint in this scenario?
Not butthurt in the least, or mad in particular. Correct on the other accounts though.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
It's not an arrogant act, no, I won't say exactly where i work the same way i won't say exactly where i live on a public forum/social media, that's just dumb.

also, not an arrogant act, but you can't take it personally if a customer dislike you or not, you are doing your job, part of the job is telling NO to people. Dreamers, beer budget/champagne dreams, etc etc. That's why i said, don't profile people by looks, talk to them, find their story, if it make sense, go ahead with test drive, sales, etc. Even without a test drive, you don't wanna waste time on a dead end customer.

Some customers love you, some customers hate you, it's part of the job. Don't lose sleep over that, you can't...

Do you wanna give me that love that i'm seeking? we can talk in private, have a coffee and see where it goes from there :blush:

also, it's not because demand is crazy right now... any time, you can reject customers demands at any point if they don't make sense.

back to the OP issue, no, I won't punish any salesperson if they say no to a test drive where the customer wants to go for a joy ride to compare that car to his car in order to see if he likes it in order to get that mod for his car. Now, i won't punish any salesperson if they say yes and go for it. It is the salesperson decision and its ok on both scenarios.

You guys are super offended because the salesman said no on a test drive and went full karen mode. I'm just telling you how we will see it from this end.

always test drive the car before signing paperwork, ALWAYS... if your salesperson say no, let management know. But, if you want to test drive multiple cars, visited the dealership a million times before asking the same, etc, don't act surprised or get offended when they tell you no. You can always ask another salesperson.
I have to ask , how long you been doing f&I? From your post , I see you have no clue how fixed ops work in a dealership. It not always about the sell but building a relationship with the person for that future sell . You sound like person that is one and done , eventually your going to run out of people . I work in the fixed op end of this business, and come to learn less is always more . Just saying .

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
I have to ask , how long you been doing f&I? From your post , I see you have no clue how fixed ops work in a dealership. It not always about the sell but building a relationship with the person for that future sell . You sound like person that is one and done , eventually your going to run out of people . I work in the fixed op end of this business, and come to learn less is always more . Just saying .
8 years. I understand that, and of course i have multiple repeated customers, i mentioned one, the guy that bought like 9 cars from me so far, when he sees something he likes, he just trades one of the previous cars.

People take it personally for some reason, or as "flexing", when i say you can't please every single customer, or worry about if a customer likes you or not, and if they don't like you, you do a turn over to another sales person, finance manager, service manager, etc and move over. It's not personal, you just move over to the next customer. You'll never run out of customers and you won't recycle all your customers over and over.

If you try to please every karen in the planet, you will go crazy... just that.

You can have a customer that loved dealing with you and you can have a customer flipping shit because you didn't let them test drive certain car for X reason.

Part of the Job is telling NO to some customers, and that goes with the old "it's just business, nothing personal" and that's why i don't take it personally if a customers gets mad or not if they can't have it their way.

Sponsored

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
8 years. I understand that, and of course i have multiple repeated customers, i mentioned one, the guy that bought like 9 cars from me so far, when he sees something he likes, he just trades one of the previous cars.

People take it personally for some reason, or as "flexing", when i say you can't please every single customer, or worry about if a customer likes you or not, and if they don't like you, you do a turn over to another sales person, finance manager, service manager, etc and move over. It's not personal, you just move over to the next customer. You'll never run out of customers and you won't recycle all your customers over and over.

You can have a customer that loved dealing with you and you can have a customer flipping shit because you didn't let them test drive certain car for X reason.

Part of the Job is telling NO to some customers, and that goes with the old "it's just business, nothing personal" and that's why i don't take it personally if a customers gets mad or not if they can't have it their way.
Yep, way easier if you don't take it personal and see customers as a never ending supply of innocents to be duped.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

So are you in f&I or used/new car Manger? From what I get from your post you have no understanding of fixed ops and how they and sales work hand in hand . FYI , been playing this game over 30 years . Took me a while to play nice with sales. A word of advice , might want to consider your customer needs a little bet better . Trust me it will go a lot further in your favor . But then again I might be talking out my ass .

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately you don't understand fixed ops and what customer retention is . Even if you have a pissed customer, you try to make it right . If your on the sales end and you have someone with a beer budget trying to bye champagne, why blow them off . Treat with kid gloves , thay will come back for the beer . Why be like every other , high all mighty Manger, and get to there level and show some compassion. I'll agree with you at some of your sales tactics but strongly disagree with what you know about this business.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So are you in f&I or used/new car Manger? From what I get from your post you have no understanding of fixed ops and how they and sales work hand in hand . FYI , been playing this game over 30 years . Took me a while to play nice with sales. A word of advice , might want to consider your customer needs a little bet better . Trust me it will go a lot further in your favor . But then again I might be talking out my ass .
the only thing i've been trying to say is do not take it personally, angry customers are part of the business. IF you are not doing anything wrong, don't worry about it.

Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately you don't understand fixed ops and what customer retention is . Even if you have a pissed customer, you try to make it right . If your on the sales end and you have someone with a beer budget trying to bye champagne, why blow them off . Treat with kid gloves , thay will come back for the beer . Why be like every other , high all mighty Manger, and get to there level and show some compassion. I'll agree with you at some of your sales tactics but strongly disagree with what you know about this business.
I do understand, perfectly. That's why i have multiple repeated customers, even when i'm not selling, i have customers that come back asking for me. I even work in cars if i have to to help service deliver a car.

but perfect example, just now... had a customer returning, he was here 6 months ago, trying to buy a car, banks said no, his credit was high 400, issues with an open loan that is a total loss. We checked his credit again an he is a 407 score now, he wants a luxury car. I told him "nothing i can do my friend, loan still shows open, your credit is even lower, no bank will do a mercedes with your down payment. You need to check hyundai, toyota, accord, etc... good reliable cars that banks like"

He said, "i don't want no hyundai"... well, nothing i can do there buddy. And moved on... HE wanted a mercedes, i don't have banks for a 407 score with 2k down on a luxury older unit... any other dealership will take his money, sign a non refundable deposit, do a spot delivery and monday will call the customer and tell them you need $10k down or bring me my car and forfeit the money. I don't do that shit, I'm honest upfront.

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Get it , but , ther is always abut , Everyone is is pissed they walk into the service department. Just have to turn it around .

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I look at it like this.

The guy was honest with you. While he is on the test drive I would put together a parts and labor estimate.

When he returns I'd start asking him questions on how he liked the gear and the car. If he liked them I would then present him with the estimate and hope he would want to trade his car for the one with the gear he wants.

Even if he walks I say 90% when he does want to buy he will look for you first.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Even if he walks I say 90% when he does want to buy he will look for you first.
Yeah, but most salespeople change dealers pretty often. So when a buyer looks for them again they probably won't be there.
Sponsored