Annoyned by dealership refusing a test drive

NotQuiteAverageJoe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
When I was shopping around I went to 4 dealerships and said the same thing to each one.

"I'm probably not going to buy today but I want to test drive a car and see how it feels. I have a list of cars I want to check out before I make a decision."

All 4 conversations went in different directions, but here is the results.

Ford Dealer #1: We won't let you test drive without doing credit application. Sales rep asked nothing about me, but boasted about selling a $120K Shelby even showing me a pic of it like I haven't seen a Shelby before or even cared about what he sold somebody else.

Subaru Dealer: Was able to test drive a new STI as long as we didn't hammer it.

Dodge Dealer: Test drove a New Challenger R/T and Charger Scat Pack, used with 20K miles. Sales rep didn't even get in car with us so of course I laid the hammer down....amazing exhaust sound(almost bought it on the spot but hadn't driven a Mustang yet).

Ford Dealer #2 (30 or so minutes away):
Was able to drive brand new GT base model with manual trans (during test drive he even said get on it a bit, you need to know what you're gonna get. I liked it but said I was still on fence because there are so many mustangs around. Said he had a slightly used CS convertible, took it on a test drive with top down and he and I had some fun (wife was tired of the test driving by that point). Was so happy wife wouldn't let me leave without buying the car.

All three salesmen that let me test drive continued the conversation after the opening statement and asked me about my finances and what I was looking for. The one who didn't only talked about himself and his exploits. I would have bought a car from all three salesmen if the car suited my tastes and/or I had driven each car.

To the dealers, I can understand not allowing people to come in and joyride around in performance vehicles, but reminding sales force to put buyers first and get to know them before acting arrogant and obnoxious goes a long way and when it's time to buy the next car I know which dealer I'm avoiding and which ones I will probably do business with.

GP2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
LT BLUE 2017 GT
Okay when I was buying my last truck, I was concerned that the truck in question wouldn't fit in the garage next to my wife’s mini van. The dealer let me take it home and he told me to return it in three days. I took it home and returned it the next day. With no issues. I told him it was too tight, he never fussed about it. I went to another dealer and purchased a truck that would fit. When purchasing my mustang I was allowed to test drive without the salesman in the car. Things may depend on where you live or what state.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
But what if someone with an 850 credit score who makes $250k/year comes into your dealership?! Would you let them have a test drive, or will you tell them they're buying the wrong car :giggle:
Yes, I'll tell my guys to move it to something nicer, where we can make more profit so we can move the ecoboost mustangs to people making less money with lesser credit. :blush:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
In my experience test drives are 100% what you look like and how charismatic you are as a person. The only time I got turned down for one was when I was 18 and trying to test drive a manual Dodge Dart when they just came out. But I didn't even have a credit score yet, so he told me to take a hike. Let's be honest though, he did me a huge favor.

Sponsored

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
Yeah, I'm a crook because somehow I'm robbing and scamming the customer offering another option and letting him decide if he prefers that option or not lol

90% of customers are looking for A car... only the other 10% are looking for something specific

You want this car? ok, but what about this other car? oh, you like this one better? ok, lets work a deal on this car...

at the end, its a business, i work for money, not for love and giggles lmao, the more money i generate on a deal, the more i get paid and the more my sales people get paid. Lmao at your fake morals like you guys work for free lol :crackup: :crackup:

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
Yeah, I'm a crook because somehow I'm robbing and scamming the customer offering another option and letting him decide if he prefers that option or not lol

90% of customers are looking for A car... only the other 10% are looking for something specific

You want this car? ok, but what about this other car? oh, you like this one better? ok, lets work a deal on this car...

at the end, its a business, i work for money, not for love and giggles lmao, the more money i generate on a deal, the more i get paid and the more my sales people get paid. Lmao at your fake morals like you guys work for free lol :crackup: :crackup:
I'd work for free before I would make money being a car salesman. Fake morals indeed.

Still gross...

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP