Amsoil Oil Filter

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
Do you have data to back this up? I’m curious because I exclusively use Motorcraft oil.
I used to be a diehard Full Synthetic Motorcraft fan until I read the Boss 302 Oil Analysis thread. You'll have to Google it since it's on the "other site".
Sponsored

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Amsoil is known to be generally superior. Having said that, I'm still running motorcraft bc I change the oil between 1k and 2k miles. I have been considering going all amsoil though and would most likely use their filter too...

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
For those knocking the AMSOIL filter just remember...The nano fiber media used in Amsoil's filter is 98.7% efficient @ 20 microns. Motorcraft is only 93.7% efficient @ 20 microns.

If you want hard data on AMSOIL products, there is more than you could imagine: https://www.amsoil.com/performancetestarchives.aspx

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
For those knocking the AMSOIL filter just remember...The nano fiber media used in Amsoil's filter is 98.7% efficient @ 20 microns. Motorcraft is only 93.7% efficient @ 20 microns.

If you want hard data on AMSOIL products, there is more than you could imagine: https://www.amsoil.com/performancetestarchives.aspx
What is the typical particle size and the distribution of particle sizes expected in our engines?

How does Amsoil define efficiency of their media?

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Glad I’m stuck with the
Motorcraft FL-2069-ST
(Ford Part # GR3Z 6731 A)

The ONLY filter specifically engineered for the Voodoo...

Edit: Upon further consideration, I wonder how many engine failures have been related to the ‘improved’ canister filter. As been noted before, this filter was developed for less performance related applications...

Back to original programming...

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Edit: Upon further consideration, I wonder how many engine failures have been related to the ‘improved’ canister filter. As been noted before, this filter was developed for less performance related applications...
Obviously none of us have any data on that, but I'd plop down a few $K that the answer would be zero.

China... Yuck. That's my .02
Yea, my sentiments too. Sometimes I wonder what makes the world go round. Check these odd facts out...this filter is made in China. The Amsoil filter for my '14 IS350 is made in USA. It's a cartridge type filter also. The filter for my '02 IS300 has 3/4x16" threads on it; a rather popular Ford thread. The filter on my '02 F150 takes 22x1.5mm. Go figure:headbang:

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Obviously none of us have any data on that, but I'd plop down a few $K that the answer would be zero.
Huh.....what's the flow rate between the two??? Maybe the info will come out if there's a blown engine lawsuit.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Huh.....what's the flow rate between the two??? Maybe the info will come out if there's a blown engine lawsuit.
Will try to track it down. However, I doubt you’ll ever see a blown engine (a term used too loosely) from an oil filter. I’ll stick my neck out and say, until I get specs, any difference is insignificant. Also, every oil filter had a bypass capability. Yes, I know you’re going to attack me now about pumping dirty oil through an engine, but point being, a flow rate through some paper media is not going to be the choke point. And with cold 50 weight oil, wonder how often the filter bypasses in this thing or any engine, even if only briefly?!?!

You have info, even if only forum speculation, that there’s been an engine failure related to the cartridge filter? You’re calling me out as if you do.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Will try to track it down. However, I doubt you’ll ever see a blown engine (a term used too loosely) from an oil filter. I’ll stick my neck out and say, until I get specs, any difference is insignificant. Also, every oil filter had a bypass capability. Yes, I know you’re going to attack me now about pumping dirty oil through an engine, but point being, a flow rate through some paper media is not going to be the choke point. And with cold 50 weight oil, wonder how often the filter bypasses in this thing or any engine, even if only briefly?!?!

You have info, even if only forum speculation, that there’s been an engine failure related to the cartridge filter? You’re calling me out as if you do.
I’m calling you out? Lighten up Francis.

You’re the one jumping on my speculating BS. No, I don’t have any data.

I’m saying Ford went from this statement in the Shelby Supplemental Manual:

Note: Use only a Motorcraft FL-2069-ST oil filter for maximum performance, reliability and durability. This filter was specifically engineered for this vehicle

To a cartridge filter from a line of lesser performance engines.

Why would Ford go through developing and marketing a filter specifically for the Voodoo unless somehwhere in Engineering the consensus was that the Voodoo needed a specifically engineered filter due to it’s unique characteristics?

Just my BS speculation. Don’t take it personally.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I’m not bro. We’re good. And we know why they swapped to this filter. They had to buy a couple of guys a new car cause the traditional filter backed off and burnt their cars to the ground. And let’s be honest, I think that statement was marketing (for lack of a better term). While I do agree that filter was built for this engine (nothing else uses it), at the end of the day, an oil filter really is just a filter as long as it flows to the capability of the system. I’ll make the assumption they checked this when swapping to the cartridge and found that it met needs just fine.

s2ms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
1966 GT350 - 6S1757, 2017 GT350 - H3303
When I did the initial oil change on my '17 it was my first time with a cartridge setup. The one thing I thought of is, when you reassemble you are relying on the filter sealing on both ends within the cartridge to prevent unfiltered oil contamination...could that be a weak point? The spin-on filter is a sealed unit so there should be a total separation between filtered and unfiltered oil, but with the cartridge you are in effect breaking the seal on removal and resealing on reassembly. Plenty of cars, including performance cars, have a cartridge filter system so it is probably not an issue at all, just made me think about it.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I’m not bro. We’re good. And we know why they swapped to this filter. They had to buy a couple of guys a new car cause the traditional filter backed off and burnt their cars to the ground. And let’s be honest, I think that statement was marketing (for lack of a better term). While I do agree that filter was built for this engine (nothing else uses it), at the end of the day, an oil filter really is just a filter as long as it flows to the capability of the system. I’ll make the assumption they checked this when swapping to the cartridge and found that it met needs just fine.
The FL-2069-ST spin-on filter has thread locker on the threads. That makes it unique and specific to the GT350. It's not "traditional" or "just marketing".

It's also why it stays attached between oil changes.

As for the cartridge filter - it's just a filter. Nothing special.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
They most likely changed the type filter because some idiots weren't putting the spin on filter correctly as supplement says (oil gasket, torque to specs, easy to do) If done as said the spin on filter is not going to become loose therefore causing oil loss and engine blown or fire.

rolaidz

Mustang Virgin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roland
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Infiniti G37S Cpe, Yamaha R6
Glad I’m stuck with the
Motorcraft FL-2069-ST
(Ford Part # GR3Z 6731 A)

The ONLY filter specifically engineered for the Voodoo...

Back to original programming...
Not directly related.... but I just had the oil changed on my GT350 and noticed the oil filter was GR3Z-6731-A, and it threw me off because of the specific instructions in the supplement to only use FL-2069-ST. Does this mean it's the same filter just identified differently between Ford and Motorcraft? I asked my service tech about it and he said he knows FL-2069-ST is what is supposed to be used but you can't actually get it and GR3Z is specifically made for the GT350. Was confusing and didn't sound entirely correct and was going to ask Ford about it but thought I'd look here first...

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored