Sponsored

Amsoil Oil Filter

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I can't imagine ANY Voodoos have failed due to an oil filter - unless it was due to incorrect installation. Failures due to poor oil filtration wouldn't occur for many tens of thousands of miles, or 2-3 hundred thousand miles, possibly.

Usually what happens with poor oil filtration is increased wear which leads to reduced power. None of our engines are even close to wearing out and I would be surprised if very many would have any measurable reduction in power due to wear either.
Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Not directly related.... but I just had the oil changed on my GT350 and noticed the oil filter was GR3Z-6731-A, and it threw me off because of the specific instructions in the supplement to only use FL-2069-ST. Does this mean it's the same filter just identified differently between Ford and Motorcraft? I asked my service tech about it and he said he knows FL-2069-ST is what is supposed to be used but you can't actually get it and GR3Z is specifically made for the GT350. Was confusing and didn't sound entirely correct and was going to ask Ford about it but thought I'd look here first...

Thanks in advance.
They’re the same filter. As said in my post, one number is the Motorcraft and the other is the Ford number.

rolaidz

Mustang Virgin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roland
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, Infiniti G37S Cpe, Yamaha R6
They’re the same filter. As said in my post, one number is the Motorcraft and the other is the Ford number.
Thanks!

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
They now have an oil filter for us. Ea15K43. Direct cross reference for the FL2062. Aaaannnnndddd, go....
The one and very obvious item that seems to always be forgotten in these types of discussions: Any oil or oil filter that is industry rated and meets the specs of the manufacturer, (Ford in this case), is going perform within the parameters which include among others, normal driving, mileage, etc. If one changes the oil and filter at less then the manufacturer specs and uses exotic oils and filters then money is being wasted. If you are turbo/super charging and other performance mods then using higher performance oil and filters has its benefits. As a side the advertised "shearing" tests leave a lot to be desired because a lot of it is taken out of context.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So my guy didn’t have actual numbers, but he told me they have a requirement to meet manufacturer specs on things like bypass pressures, flow rates, etc. Where a filter like this will differ is in quality of components, craftsmanship, and in this case filtering capability from a synthetic vs paper media. And if you’ve ever used an Amsoil filter, or even cut one open, you’ll know that to be true.

The only remote thing I’d be curious about is the pressures seen on some of the other engines using this filter. They’re not running 50 weight either. Not saying that’s a point of failure since any filter will bypass when needed, just curious. That’s not even a Motorcraft vs Amsoil factor either; that would apply equally to either one. But, I’ll admit this is overthinking it. You have to assume Ford thought about stuff like that when they swapped to this filter.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It would be really interesting to know more of the details behind the filter and have real test data. I like running good filters, but I prefer not to waste money on snake oil either.

NDALLAS40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Amsoil is shit I wouldn't put that in my kids go cart. motor craft oil and filters are better.
Haven't heard anything that stupid in quite a while. We've used it for 15 years in wide variety of high performance vehicles without a single engine failure or consumption issues. Oops, I fell for the troll's trick I guess.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Haven't heard anything that stupid in quite a while. We've used it for 15 years in wide variety of high performance vehicles without a single engine failure or consumption issues. Oops, I fell for the troll's trick I guess.
Yup, there's always a few in the crowd. I know people have their own brand loyalty (which makes everything else crap) and I certainly am aware that folks don't like Amsoil's business model or sales method, but that does not make it snake oil. Far from it actually. Anyone doubting the product should just grab someone with some oil analysis done or anything like that, or talk to Blackstone, etc.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Yup, there's always a few in the crowd. I know people have their own brand loyalty (which makes everything else crap) and I certainly am aware that folks don't like Amsoil's business model or sales method, but that does not make it snake oil. Far from it actually. Anyone doubting the product should just grab someone with some oil analysis done or anything like that, or talk to Blackstone, etc.
So are you saying that running Amsoil's products will mean that there is less metal in the oil when compared to another brand of oil? With all other variables eliminated?

I'd like to see an example where someone went back and forth between two different oils to see whether there's a repeatable impact or trend. Most engines generate more debris when they are newer, so if the first analysis is a brand new engine and the second analysis is Amsoil with more miles on the engine, I wouldn't feel that is enough evidence to be certain of the relationship between amount of debris and oil brand.

OP
OP

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
So are you saying that running Amsoil's products will mean that there is less metal in the oil when compared to another brand of oil? With all other variables eliminated?

I'd like to see an example where someone went back and forth between two different oils to see whether there's a repeatable impact or trend. Most engines generate more debris when they are newer, so if the first analysis is a brand new engine and the second analysis is Amsoil with more miles on the engine, I wouldn't feel that is enough evidence to be certain of the relationship between amount of debris and oil brand.
Not saying that at all. Quite the contrary; I completely agree with everything you've said. I'm saying Amsoil gets more than its fair share of haters for no factual or supported reasons. I know for a fact there are more than a fair share of people that call it snake oil and anything else just because of their business model; stuff like that.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's unfortunate that Amsoil's multi-level marketing business model got out of control in the early internet age. Way too many resellers set up their own websites making wild and totally nonsense claims about the product. Amsoil was always a good product, but the company waited too long before reigning in their out of control resellers, whose fantasy marketing was doing more harm than good.

These days, Amsoil has taken charge and their dealers are barred from making product claims that the product can't deliver. That hasn't stopped the hype though: the resellers have shifted to social media and instead of claiming that "Amsoil's better than everything else" they've shifted to "everything that isn't Amsoil is worse than Amsoil". It was a clever response to the new rules, but the relentless repetition still has the effect of making Amsoil's strong product look weak.

I expect their oil filters are pretty good, and if they were available through regular retail channels, I might actually use them.
Sponsored