Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
<laughing at myself>

Just wondering if I'm the first one to get a speeding ticket in the car? ;-)

I was fiddling with something and forgot about a short detour for construction yesterday that I should have avoided. That was a distraction and I failed to look around before I pulled back on to the good road and just nudged the throttle a wee bit.

Didn't think anything of it until I saw the flashing lights in the mirror..a cop on motors, DAMN IT!

First thing the officer says is,

"Didn't you see me in the church parking lot before you punched it?"

Thought about saying, "Duh" but stuck with just, "No, I didn't see ya."

I wanted to tell him that I also didn't "punch it" because if I had, I would have been doing a LOT more than 60 in a 45 but I kept my mouth shut. :-)

Thought some of you might get a grin out of the story.
Sponsored

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Kyle: Lord have mercy that made me laugh so loud I may have awakened the better half on the other side of the house!

Now, I wonder if anyone beat you to the finish? :-)

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I don't suppose a military ID helped...….

Get a lawyer who specializes in these things. I've seen them work their magic, it is amazing. At the end of the day, they can probably get you a withhold of adjudication, which means you only pay the fine, no points.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Tom, I'll check intuit.

It's difficult to find a place where you can enjoy this beauty.

Edit: The mil ID thought never crossed my mind, have you had success with that? If so, did you just hand him your DL and the ID? He didn't ask for anything but the DL and insurance, and no mention of the CHL which surprised me even though I wasn't armed. It was a very "matter of fact" exchange and took maybe three minutes start to finish.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No, you strategically place it in your wallet or folio so that when you go digging for your DL, the officer will see it. He will see it. I wouldn't hand it to him with your DL, he will see it and you wouldn't be flaunting it. I always mention that I have a CWP and there are no weapons in the car. I do believe when he runs your DL, it pops up that you have a CWP. If you don't mention it, then he may ask if there are any weapons in the car. The downside is that if there are, he may ask you to step out of the vehicle.

That has not ever happened to me however but that is what I have been told. The last time I was pulled over was on my way home from MCO. I was in my uniform. They had an airplane up in the air timing vehicles as they passed the white lines on the road. I wasn't going too fast, maybe 10 over. There were about 10 cops waiting up the road and they were radio'd by the aircraft.

So he asks for my stuff and says wait here. I fumble around with a strategic shuffle past my military ID (long pause). He said "I see that". He said I'll talk to the officer up in the airplane, its not up to me.

He came back and said "see that airplane up there"? I said yes. He said "that guy is a navy pilot, he told me to tell you that he cant believe an air force pilot would drive like that. Have a good day".

Always have your hands on the wheel. When he asks for whatever, tell him you will remove your hand from the wheel and go (wherever your stuff is) to get it. Make slow and deliberate moves. They appreciate that and usually if you are courteous, they cut you slack.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Great story Tom.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I can confirm that the veteran status on my TX DL saved me from a 45 in a 30 speeding ticket. Residents of TX who are vets can submit a copy of their DD214 to the DMV online and get issued a new DL stating veteran in their info. Maybe check to see if there's something similar offered in your state.

OP
OP
kilobravo

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Tom: I second Tob's emotion, great story, especially the part about the swabbie. I might have said something slightly different. <bigger grin>

And thanks for the carry tips. I've been a "member of the club" since the '90's and know the drill and do as you described. I too have never been asked to get out of the vehicle although I have been stopped a few times when I had one with me or, in the car/truck. But I think Texas and Florida are two of the better states in this regard as law enforcement has had many years to adapt.

I don't keep my ID out where I could "flip by it" and pulling it out from where I keep it would look suspicious. Maybe I'll reconsider my wallet organization. <grin>

BTW, you're also the first person I've ever heard of that got tagged by an aircraft. I've seen the lines and, what I thought were C-150 Heavy's each time at about 800 or so but never saw any ground units associated with them. Sounds like the quintessential "speed trap."

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I can confirm that the veteran status on my TX DL saved me from a 45 in a 30 speeding ticket. Residents of TX who are vets can submit a copy of their DD214 to the DMV online and get issued a new DL stating veteran in their info. Maybe check to see if there's something similar offered in your state.
Good point. All my tags are military. Yes, they have helped.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom: I second Tob's emotion, great story, especially the part about the swabbie. I might have said something slightly different. <bigger grin>

And thanks for the carry tips. I've been a "member of the club" since the '90's and know the drill and do as you described. I too have never been asked to get out of the vehicle although I have been stopped a few times when I had one with me or, in the car/truck. But I think Texas and Florida are two of the better states in this regard as law enforcement has had many years to adapt.

I don't keep my ID out where I could "flip by it" and pulling it out from where I keep it would look suspicious. Maybe I'll reconsider my wallet organization. <grin>

BTW, you're also the first person I've ever heard of that got tagged by an aircraft. I've seen the lines and, what I thought were C-150 Heavy's each time at about 800 or so but never saw any ground units associated with them. Sounds like the quintessential "speed trap."
Ever since that instance. I always slow down when driving over the white lines that go all the way across the road. They are there for a reason. They are usually in a series of 3 lines.

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red
Thanks, Tom, I'll check intuit.

It's difficult to find a place where you can enjoy this beauty.

Edit: The mil ID thought never crossed my mind, have you had success with that? If so, did you just hand him your DL and the ID? He didn't ask for anything but the DL and insurance, and no mention of the CHL which surprised me even though I wasn't armed. It was a very "matter of fact" exchange and took maybe three minutes start to finish.
I always have my retired military card on top and make sure they see it as I'm digging for driver license it usually goes something like this "Oh what branch did you serve in? Thank you for your service takes my license and registration and says I will be back. he comes back and says everything came back clean I'm letting you off with a warning slow down and be careful out there. I say thank you sir/ma'am and go about my day. I will say that only works for like 15 or 20 over at tops once you are more then 20 all bets are off you are for sure driving away with a ticket but usually for less then what it could be......lol......

Deviruchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 (L0646)
Being stationed in a "foreign state", having your orders and active ID on you is actually a requirement, depending on your state of residence and where you're stationed. Don't need any kind of excuse, just tell him it's a requirement since you have out of your resident state insurance and out of your stationed state registration!
Sponsored