honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Do a complete nut and bolt check before track days. I have a neurotic process for oil changes and track day prep. Was super busy and skipped the last minute nut and bolt check that I do right before putting it in the trailer (I did the post-day one, but obviously that doesn't help with an oil change).

Ya boi got REAL lucky on this. I have a couple safeties in the car (oil pressure lights + accusump) that would've hopefully come on, but DAMN. I'll give myself the idiot award for the month of May :)

IMG_1760.JPEG
Sponsored

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Whew!!

jmn444

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
gt350
yikes! i often worry about the oem style plug... i assume thats a totally diff pan?

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
You've got to remember that it doesn't simply twist in and lock like the O.E. pan....... Glad you didn't cause serious damage.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
yikes! i often worry about the oem style plug... i assume thats a totally diff pan?
Yeah, This is the GT500 pan. Love the pan. This was just a huge idiot moment

You've got to remember that it doesn't simply twist in and lock like the O.E. pan....... Glad you didn't cause serious damage.
I'm guessing I just hand tightened it and forgot to check it with a torque wrench. Argh

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Do a complete nut and bolt check before track days. I have a neurotic process for oil changes and track day prep. Was super busy and skipped the last minute nut and bolt check that I do right before putting it in the trailer (I did the post-day one, but obviously that doesn't help with an oil change).

Ya boi got REAL lucky on this. I have a couple safeties in the car (oil pressure lights + accusump) that would've hopefully come on, but DAMN. I'll give myself the idiot award for the month of May :)

IMG_1760.JPEG
What's the red on the bell housing bolt, side of bell housing and on spacer plate in the image? Is that trans fluid or Red Loctite?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What's the red on the bell housing bolt, side of bell housing and on spacer plate in the image? Is that trans fluid or Red Loctite?
Pink bolt marker :)

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

IMG_1760.JPEG
What's the problem? It looks like it only leaked a little bit. No worries.

BTW, I did a front pad swap on the weekend and discovered that I hadn't hammered the pins home on one side when I did the last pad swap. One was still in finger tight and the other had crept back maybe 3/8". Like your situation, it was alarming, but nothing bad happened. I'd wondered for years what would happen if I forgot, and now I know. Not much.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
What's the problem? It looks like it only leaked a little bit. No worries.

BTW, I did a front pad swap on the weekend and discovered that I hadn't hammered the pins home on one side when I did the last pad swap. One was still in finger tight and the other had crept back maybe 3/8". Like your situation, it was alarming, but nothing bad happened. I'd wondered for years what would happen if I forgot, and now I know. Not much.
ha. Normally that's the attitude I take, but I'm still feeling the sting of the engine rebuild bill. This one hits too close to laugh off still. I thanked the race car gods instead :)

Sponsored

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
My list of GT350-specific track inspection items seems to grow with each track event I do. It currently includes:
- Check oil filter torque (I have the original style)
- Visually inspect oil pressure sending unit (check witness mark)
- Check transmission bellhousing bolts
- Check all CV boots
- Check rear axle nuts
- Check all lugnuts' torque
- Check exhaust vibration dampers
- Check front brake caliper nuts (on Caliperfexion studs)
- Check torque on strut mounting nuts
- Check tightness of all valve cover bolts
Anything I'm missing?

On those rare occasions when I have the undertray and splitter off, I make it a habit to check the additional bolts that are easier to access when the tray and splitter are off.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
My list of GT350-specific track inspection items seems to grow with each track event I do. It currently includes:
- Check oil filter torque (I have the original style)
- Visually inspect oil pressure sending unit (check witness mark)
- Check transmission bellhousing bolts
- Check all CV boots
- Check rear axle nuts
- Check all lugnuts' torque
- Check exhaust vibration dampers
- Check front brake caliper nuts (on Caliperfexion studs)
- Check torque on strut mounting nuts
- Check tightness of all valve cover bolts
Anything I'm missing?

On those rare occasions when I have the undertray and splitter off, I make it a habit to check the additional bolts that are easier to access when the tray and splitter are off.
These assume you've messed with the engine/suspension components (meaning removed/replaced so they've been messed with)

1. Ignition coil bolts (I carry spares since I've lost a few)
  2. Check all wires near exhaust (melted O2 sensor wires once)
  3. Check all oil connections
  4. Check all suspension jam nuts (end links, tie rods, toe rods, etc.)
  5. Brake caliper bolts/pins/bleeders
  6. driveshaft bolts (witness marks)
  7. Splitter bolts

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
She not comin out. I do this track or no track. I do it because Iā€™m a big nerd and not because Iā€™m worried about it coming out, but hey, if we can kill two birds with one stone....(yes...i safety wire a cartridge oil filter...sue me ;)

E41CE91A-E866-4DE8-B4EA-FEB1A430F8A9.jpeg

F6CB185D-B96D-4E43-A1F3-C8F130CAC4D8.jpeg

83E789D0-8710-4E4F-9D3B-B216C42A2A56.jpeg

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Humans these days, can't they get everything 100% right all the time? Yeesh.

Good thing you lucked out, would've been terrible to see the awesome motor bite the dust.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Yeah, This is the GT500 pan. Love the pan. This was just a huge idiot moment
No crush washer on that bad boy?

Congrats on avoiding a disaster. Looks like you had maybe 7-8 threads left in there??

Appreciate you ā€˜fessing up and posting the pic here:like:
Sponsored