Sponsored

Air filter advice

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
The Airaid is a permanent dry filter. It doesn't use oil. Just clean it with the cleaning solution, rinse it out, let it dry, reinstall. They say to clean every 30k-50k miles.
Careful with that statement. See the other thread running right now. Airaid makes both for our car and you gotta watch which one you get. If like me, someone just buys the only Airaid on the Steeda site, then it is oiled.
Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
The Airaid is a permanent dry filter. It doesn't use oil. Just clean it with the cleaning solution, rinse it out, let it dry, reinstall. They say to clean every 30k-50k miles.
I couldnā€™t imagine going 30K before cleaning, then again the dust where I live is pretty bad. Iā€™m cleaning every 2.5 K or so.

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
Hey Fred,
I am not gun shy about doing maintenance tasks on a vehicle. I am not mechanically inclined to the point where I have the facilities, tools, etc to do things such as suspension work, engine swaps, etc, etc. but I just emptied my passenger side oil seperator a few weeks ago. I do that because it is not something (at least I assume) a dealership will do.
My issue is that I am time poor. I run my own IT business and work an avg of 50-60 hrs per week; that along with raising 6 kids, 2 of which are still at home and a wife who want to spend time with me. Throw in helping my daughter and son-in-law with tasks around their newly purchased home (older) and the grand kids and it's all I can do to find opportunities to drive the car, maybe make it to a few track days a year (if I am lucky) and detail it.
I have a reliable dealership locally that services my car well (oil changes, recalls, a new a/c compressor recently) so I don't typically do service work.
I assumed that the blue air filter was not something Ford dealerships would supply, thus I am seeking resources elsewhere and can certainly change out an air filter. My issue is that i don't want another "task" for my to do list to have to maintain an air filter by washing and oiling it. That to me is too much fuss for me right now in my life. I am 57 and will eventually slow down with work, but for now my life is very busy.
Dang man, I feel so blessed!
My life has never been that busy, ever.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Dang man, I feel so blessed!
My life has never been that busy, ever.
Not that my life is terrible, there are a lot of great things that have come out of having my own business and a big family. Sorry if I sounded negative, but there are times that I desire to slow down a bit.. and I am getting there. I know for a fact that if I hadn't started my own consulting firm I wouldn't be on this forum that's for sure.

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Bob, that is what I thought, but it's been a long time since I was trolling the 350 forums still dreaming about one of these cars. At the time I knew there was a blue replacement filter available. Any recommendations on a vendor site for purchasing?

Sponsored

Champale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R
I just cleaned my blue dry filter last weekend with about 7500 miles on it. The amount of bugs, hay, and dirt that came out of it was pretty shocking. I actually cleaned it twice because the 1st time didn't get everything out to my satisfaction.

With regard to the oiled filters, they do filter very well yet still breathe better than most paper filters. Cleaning and re-oiling them isn't that big a deal. The problem I have run into is that depending on the specific car's MAF location, sometimes that oil will be sucked down onto the MAF and cause some idle issues. Removing a MAF and spraying MAF cleaner on them isn't that big a deal but I just use dry filters now to avoid these issues.

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
Lorne,
On my 19, I haven't bothered with the aftermarket oiled filters. I've been using the Wix paper filters. However, I do use a cover. I got mine through JLT. You can get the same thing from companies like Summit. JLT sold their filter operations to SB, and I don't know if you would go through SB or the reformed J&L OSC. The kept the oil separator side of the business.
20220910_105440.jpg
20220910_105447.jpg

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
For anyone running a conical filter, wet or dry, use the pre-filter. It not only keeps the pleats from clogging, but it cuts back on actual filter maintenance, increases filter longevity and it does NOT create any air flow restrictions.

I use an Outerwears, as do quite a few other M6G members on this site across the multiple S550 platforms.

There was also this follow up thread form M6G member @JCN who was kind enough to provide an Outerwears part # for his application after talking directly with an Outerwears Rep.:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/pre-filter-update.160516/#post-3270955

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I ordered the GT350 blue replacement filter off of amazon and discovered that it did not come with a clamp in the box. The original OEM clamp will not work because it has a clip for the rubber edge and is much narrower. Anyone else order the one through Amazon and have this happen?

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I bought the Ford Performance filter through one of the online retailers, and it doesn't come with a clamp. And I had no problems using the OEM clamp on the filter. Are you sure the AirAid one you bought is the correct one?

OP
OP
Lorne34

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. At times I have a feeling I am "mod cursed"
Every time I attempt an upgrade, even the simplest thing it turns into a "major project".
I ordered this one on amazon twice..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSMH7TA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The first time it came damaged, the second time it did not have the clamp. I can't even remember if the first one came with a clamp as I didn't even start to install it after inspection.
The problem with the OEM yellow filter clamp is that it has a clip on it that attached to the rubberized outer rim of the filter. The clip is a permanent part of the clamp and so when I installed it on the air raid it had no where to go but to press against the hard plastic shell. It works, but I don't like the looks of it and want the band to be fully snug and flush against the filter.
Long story short I ended up contacting air-raid directly and asked them if that part# (863-399) came with a clamp and they said yes it does. I ended up ordering a unit directly through Air-Raid and should get it in a few days.
The Amazon one is going back.
Should have know better that to order from them. I guess I picked the wrong unit on Amazon as the other post that "kachow" mentioned most likely has the clamp!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006B80FL4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
As a side note, the one without the clamp had a ford performance sticker on the box along with the Air-Raid part #... maybe the Ford Performance unit is shipped without a clamp?
You can see the clip in the last photo
20230424_142425559_iOS.jpg
20230424_142431569_iOS.jpg
20230423_211928924_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

DRAGOON

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
21 VB mach1 HP 6SP
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. At times I have a feeling I am "mod cursed"
Every time I attempt an upgrade, even the simplest thing it turns into a "major project".
I ordered this one on amazon twice..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MSMH7TA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The first time it came damaged, the second time it did not have the clamp. I can't even remember if the first one came with a clamp as I didn't even start to install it after inspection.
The problem with the OEM yellow filter clamp is that it has a clip on it that attached to the rubberized outer rim of the filter. The clip is a permanent part of the clamp and so when I installed it on the air raid it had no where to go but to press against the hard plastic shell. It works, but I don't like the looks of it and want the band to be fully snug and flush against the filter.
Long story short I ended up contacting air-raid directly and asked them if that part# (863-399) came with a clamp and they said yes it does. I ended up ordering a unit directly through Air-Raid and should get it in a few days.
The Amazon one is going back.
Should have know better that to order from them. I guess I picked the wrong unit on Amazon as the other post that "kachow" mentioned most likely has the clamp!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006B80FL4?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
As a side note, the one without the clamp had a ford performance sticker on the box along with the Air-Raid part #... maybe the Ford Performance unit is shipped without a clamp?
You can see the clip in the last photo
20230424_142425559_iOS.jpg
20230424_142431569_iOS.jpg
20230423_211928924_iOS.jpg
I ordered my blue filter from the FP web site. At the time the site did say it was an AiRaid filter and I interpreted that as like being exclusive to Ford. Well it isnā€™t as my box from FP had the Ford sticker on it as well as the AiRaid part number. I could post my pics but theyā€™re identical to yours except for the one that came with filter straight out of the box and the car. Mine came with a clamp. FP cost $90 while I see the AiRaid one from them direct is $65. Well, lesson learned. Side bar note, I like that the FP site mentions no oiling is needed. Clean, dry and reinstall. Nice

IMG_2781.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: