OEM air filter

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Thoughts on the pre-filter for the street?
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I love the idea. One thing I always hated about the filter is how quickly it looked dirty. Lots of bugs and debris get stuck in the folds. I realize that it can run quite a while, but I would end up changing the filter quite frequently just because of how bad it looked.

For a pre-filter you would definitely want it to be a very loose material that easily allows a lot of air through.

Sagittaria

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R
I used the Amsoil oil less filters & pre-filters in my 2003 Cobra days. They were relatively new on the market then and if I recall there was no difference over a K&N in terms of performance. Not using any oil is a plus for sure.

Anyways I run that filter and pre-filter on my GT350R for about 5000 miles so far. Supposedly you're supposed to clean out the pre-filter fairly frequently but every time I pop the hood it looks fine to me.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Yea, I'm seeing a lot of bugs and small leaves sitting on top of the filter. I know the filter is totally fine with only 3k miles, but it's unsightly at car shows. So I'm thinking pre-filter.

Oh, and be sure to check the bottom of the filter because I heard that it gets dirtier down there, probably because that's where the air enters the air box from.

I want a pre-filter that looks good and fits well (some look like saggy old dress socks), so maybe the Amsoil one will be nice (and covering up the new Air Aid filter I just ordered! doh!)

key01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 now gone to a great home.
How about an oiled OEM filter? Yeah, a Ford GT blew an oil line directly in front of me going into turn 1 at Road America. Beyond, having a come to Jesus moment sliding all over hell, his atomized oil went right into my intake and covered my filter and pooled in the bottom of the box. I run the Airaid filter, so at least I can clean it if this happens again. ha.

Sponsored

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
but the big question is this: Were you able to clean your boxer shorts!

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I don't know the dimensions of the Airaid filter, but I'd imagine the Amsoil prefilter is going to fit the Amsoil air filter mucho better.

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350

rj45

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Metallic
Can a pre-filter be used on the stock paper filter? Thanks

AdamIsAdam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Shelby GT350
Can a pre-filter be used on the stock paper filter? Thanks
That was my original plan, so I don't see why not. (then I splurged for the airaid)
Sponsored