AfterMarket Track Seats

s550jc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT Premium
Hello just wanted to ask around and see what you guys could recommend, i'm currently looking for any racing seats that don't cost over $500. I'm not specifically looking for a pair , one seat would be fine but a pair would be nice. What seats could you guys recommend me ? Like i said I'm on a budget here so any seat that is below $400 would be fine. Thanks
Sponsored

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
There are definitely other things to consider when going to a racing seat, which I'm sure you are aware of. (harness, roll cage, airbags, etc).

As for low budget, I've heard some good things about Bimarco (search ebay, they ship from Poland, so I've heard long shipping times). They even have a couple FIA approved seats.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
For that budget, a Kirkey seat from Summit or Jeg's might be a good option. Make no mistake, though, they are a racing seat.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
For that budget, a Kirkey seat from Summit or Jeg's might be a good option. Make no mistake, though, they are a racing seat.
That's a good point...OP, what are you planning to use this seat for? Different seats for different purposes.
- Road racing?
- Drag racing?
- Hard parking?

Sponsored

OP
OP
s550jc

s550jc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jorge
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT Premium
That's a good point...OP, what are you planning to use this seat for? Different seats for different purposes.
- Road racing?
- Drag racing?
- Hard parking?
well i usually roll race so just looking to feel more strapped down , not necessarily for corners and so on. This is a street car/daily but willing to sacrifice a bit comfort for a nice looking race seat and having the feel of being strapped down and not tossed around.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
well i usually roll race so just looking to feel more strapped down , not necessarily for corners and so on. This is a street car/daily but willing to sacrifice a bit comfort for a nice looking race seat and having the feel of being strapped down and not tossed around.
In that case, I think as @TeeLew suggested, a Kirkey might suit your needs best

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
Not sure a race seat offers you any advantage over the stock seat for your intended usage. Once you get the race seat, you need a 4/5/6 point harness which by themselves run close to your budget, plus you need a harness bar or roll cage to attach them to which will put you way over budget.

Look into the Schroth Quick Fit harness. I had one before I put a cage in my car and it worked great. It is a well thought out product and is designed to work with your stock seat and is easy to install/remove so you don't need to leave it in the car all the time.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know how many of you have sat in a Kirkey, but it's not much more than a shell, and decently uncomfortable. You probably drive like a madman primarily just so you can get out of it that much faster. Good call on the harness bar, because until you have your 6 point harness connecting to something, its a waste of money and you're no better off. Once you're strapped in to the point where you can't move, then you can use your feet to brake and clutch instead of hold yourself up. If you're doing roll racing where lateral G forces aren't even involved, I guess it's just for style points, might as well wear a t-shirt with the harness already in it.
1618275058940.png

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
For a straight line roll race, I doubt you need much more than to teach yourself to relax any muscles that are not actively involved in making a control input of some sort. Tense muscles tend to unweight you in the seat (making you more likely to move around in it).

At most, maybe a separate non-slacking seat belt that runs over top of the lap portion of the OE 3-point belt and runs as close as possible to the OE belt routing (doesn't even need to be anchored, just looped around the seat). At least the lap portion of the OE belt won't go slack, and this can even help in hard cornering.

Norm

Sponsored

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Don't know how many of you have sat in a Kirkey, but it's not much more than a shell, and decently uncomfortable. You probably drive like a madman primarily just so you can get out of it that much faster. Good call on the harness bar, because until you have your 6 point harness connecting to something, its a waste of money and you're no better off. Once you're strapped in to the point where you can't move, then you can use your feet to brake and clutch instead of hold yourself up. If you're doing roll racing where lateral G forces aren't even involved, I guess it's just for style points, might as well wear a t-shirt with the harness already in it.
Depends on the version, and if you got the sizing right. Yes that is right, you have more than the 1 or 2 sizes that a typical race seat offers. Which is a forgotten advantage of the Aluminum shell race seat. But the higher end Kirkey road race seat ($400) has quite a bit of padding and is pretty comfortable, while the cheap Kirkey Sportsmen seat ($200) is not so much for either.

For "roll racing" (which isn't racing), I agree with the just add a Schroth type harness suggestion.

myelenore

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1, 2011 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
I'm looking into the Corbeau Evolution X for my '18 PP1 that I track. They are $1000/set new and come highly recommended, will likely order them from STEEDA. In addition to the obvious benefits they'll also take about 30lbs off the car if you are replacing both front seats.

myelenore

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1, 2011 Mustang GT/CS Convertible
If any of you guys are running the Corbeau's on the track in an '18+ car let me know how you like them and what model you're running.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm looking into the Corbeau Evolution X for my '18 PP1 that I track. They are $1000/set new and come highly recommended, will likely order them from STEEDA. In addition to the obvious benefits they'll also take about 30lbs off the car if you are replacing both front seats.
Are those FIA rated?? I don't know who you track with but most organizations don't allow non-FIA rated seats on track. Just double check before you buy

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Are those FIA rated?? I don't know who you track with but most organizations don't allow non-FIA rated seats on track. Just double check before you buy

Not usually the case for track days (on track). For racing and sometimes time trials, non FIA 1 piece seats are usually fine but require a seat brace that is not required with FIA seats (and mounts).

The Corbeau Evolution is a 2 piece recliner, so not road race legal anytime, but shouldn't be an issue for track days and some time trials.

The OP said he "roll raced", which I took as street raced.
Does anyone who what the rules are for the sportsmen drag racing classes?
Sponsored