Sponsored

Additional cooling and fluid capacity solution for the S550 Mustang ‘Super 8.8’ rear end

JohnVallo

1 5 4 8 3 7 2 6
Threads
Reaction score
Website
racersreunion.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350, Shadow Black, Whipple Supercharged
· When I bought my 2016 GT350 in Dec. 2015 I was very aware that If I was thinking about tracking this car, I would definitely need the Track Pack option w/coolers. So, in my case I was not going to track it, and was very happy that I saved money on the Base model. (It suited my particular need perfectly, -option wise-).

Speaking of tracking it, I spent over 39 years racing late model stock-cars on Midwest oval tracks, as a summer hobby.
You can check my accomplishments here: http://racersreunion.com/john-vallo/gallery/all/p=1
So for me, after 2008, it was time to retire from my Racing/Driving career, and move to Florida. Then in 2013 to retire from my Day Job: (F idelity, B ravery, I ntegrity), -Tampa Field Office-

After changing rear-ends and gear ratios several times in my GT350 I really learned to like the new ‘Super 8.8’ IRS design in the S550, but I did have some concern in a couple of areas. The main concern was: Shouldn’t this rear-end hold more fluid ? (Even if Cooler equipped, the fluid capacity was minimal)
This minimal fluid capacity in the rear axle puzzled me. Ford raised the performance engine-oil capacity to 10qts, but reduced the performance rear axle capacity???
After all, there is about 3 ½” of clearance between the back of the cast IRS housing and the Sub-Frame. Plenty of room for a larger rear cover that could hold more fluid..
I waited and figured surely some third-party vendor would come out with a finned rear cover, or a finned rear cover that held more fluid. Didn’t happen… maybe mainly because Ford started putting rear-end coolers on all GT350’s in the 2017+ model years.
This issue bothered me for some time. Two main areas of concern I had with the new Mustang ‘Super 8.8’ IRS rear-end:
1. Minimal air flow to the rear-end housing, as well as exhaust very close to housing.
2. Not enough fluid capacity. (Cooler (69 oz.), or No Cooler, (61 oz.) of gear oil is just too minimal, in my opinion)

I thought about this for awhile before deciding on my approach of designing something myself.
I had read many ideas, (Other than a Cooler Kit), some seemed more helpful than others. (Wrapping the exhaust, so as to reduce heat. Redirecting more air flow to the housing. A finned rear cover. A cover offering larger fluid capacity.)

My approach was to combine 2 of these ideas. A finned aluminum cover that holds more fluid.

Some 2015+ Ford F150 (trucks) also utilize a ‘Super 8.8’ rear end. One problem, the truck rear end is not IRS, it is solid axle. The good thing is that almost all internal parts, as well as the rear cover bolt pattern are the same. I found a company (actually 3 companies), that produces an extra capacity, finned, aluminum cover for the truck. So far so good, but what about the rear mounting, which is on the cover itself for the mustang ‘Super 8.8’ IRS rear end, and two other concerns?
1. No rear mounting on cover.
2. No vent system, (Built into the Mustang cover, and not in the truck cover).
3. (OEM) Temp sending unit/Cooler Line accommodation needed.

From the start I had two plans in mind:
PLAN A was to somehow incorporate the stock Mustang rear cover with a higher capacity finned aluminum cover (from the F-150).
PLAN B was to buy the higher capacity finned aluminum cover (from the F-150), modify it as needed, and design and make my own steel mounting brackets for the rear mustang IRS mounting (not using an additional modified stock cover).

I looked at all 3 finned aluminum covers I found for the truck
1. B&M – This cover was high-quality, and expensive, also had differential cap supports built into the cover (for ring gear and bearing cap deflection), which I didn’t think were necessary for the IRS. Also, the way the fins were cast into the cover, it would require a lot of machine work to allow for any brackets to attach to the back of it. Also, every bolt hole was recessed, which would require washers or machining to get a flat surface on the back of the cover.
2. Mag-Hytec – this cover incorporated a built-in dip-stick, also had large casting supports between the bolt holes that would need to be addressed.
3. PML – this cover seemed best suited for the conversion, it had a lower cost, was flat on the rear (except 3 bolt holes), no fin/casting interference, and held ¾ qt. or (24 oz.) more fluid than stock.
11145_dims-600.jpg

So, I contacted PML and offered them my idea and ask if they would work with me on this project.
My idea was to send them a stock mustang rear cover, they would machine it into just a bracket (with the diff mounts still attached, and this would be fitted to their finned cover.

The PMLTruck cover compared to the OEM Mustang Cover
Stock Covers 1-2.jpg

At first, PML thought I wanted the two pieces machined and welded together to form the new cover. (While this may still be a worthy consideration), I told them: -No welding-, just machining the stock cover so it would clamp or sandwich their cover into place using 8 of the 12 bolts.

The OEM Mustang cover would get machined, then fit to the PML Truck cover
Modified  Covers 1-2.jpg

PML's Tech dept. really showed interest, as we went back and forth several times on the details, then suddenly they backed out. Something about: “Since the cover is part of the mustang suspension, we cannot go forward with this effort”.

NOW to PLAN B

I went ahead and purchased the PML rear cover. When it arrived, I studied it and began my design for the steel diff carrier mounting bracket that would attach to the rear of the cover. I also had to figure out a venting system for it and it needed a thicker area for the Ford OEM temp-sending unit. The cover had a unmachined boss cast in it for an old-style temp sending unit about ¾” thick, but the Ford OEM unit doesn’t go all the way thru to the oil, and needed 1 ¼” of thickness. So, about ½” more alum thickness was needed on the boss, as well as the proper sized hole and threads cut for the sending unit.

Ford has a very nice venting system for the OEM Mustang cover, I tried to duplicate this on the PML Truck cover, I call this a "Worm Trail", as the diff fluid cannot directly contact the vent tube.
Vent System 1-2.jpg

I also wanted to place the top vent tube in the same relative position as to use the OEM Rubber Vent Tube Connection.
Vent System 3-4.jpg

FLUID DYNAMICS:
The PML cover follows the shape of the ring gear pretty close, except at the bottom.
I took a page from Gale Banks theory, and tried to make the fluid flow smoothly around the back of the cover, as to keep the fluid from foaming and help the horsepower/cooling loss of a deep cover, so I added this lower aluminum piece to smoothly redirect the oil flow.

003-a.jpg

The rear axle temp sending unit installation required welding a small dimple on the inside of the PML cover to replicate what Ford did with the OEM Mustang cover. Additional aluminum material was also welded on the outside of the boss area to allow the Stock Ford temp sending unit to be used.
Temp Sending Unit 1-2-3.jpg

If I wanted to retain the correct geometry, I would need to make a jig so the new bracket and diff carrier mounting holes would line up in the Exact proper position.

Starting the bracket Jig
Starting Bracket Jig 1-2-3.jpg

Finishing the bracket Jig.
Finished Bracket Jig 1-2-3.jpg

After being satisfied with the new jig, I began the construction of the steel bracket. 3/16” steel I believed would be adequate as I intended to triangulate the bracket design as needed for strength.

For the threads, I bought (2) steel 14mm coupling nuts. They are 2” long and seemed to be a perfect start. I also wanted some thick mounting face pads, so I purchased (2) steel ¼” thick 9/16” ID x 1 ½” OD washers. The rest I fabricated from 3/16” steel plate.

Starting the steel bracket fabrication
Starting Steel Bracket 1-2-3.jpg

Finishing the steel bracket
Finished Steel Bracket1-2-3.jpg

Finally, after checking everything and final assembly, 85 oz. of BG 75W 140 LS Gear Oil was added, and the unit was ready to be installed. -The original 3.73 unit was used as to have the best baseline for temp comparison, etc.-

Side by side with an OEM carrier, The finished project looked really good as I also replaced the inverted torx headed bolts with hardened flanged cap screws.
Ready To Install 1-2-3.jpg

No problems with Installation, everything fit perfectly
Installed.jpg

UPDATE: Recently I also got some time to experiment with these two Vibration Dampers, attached to the top 2 rear bolts. I decided to drill-out the threads on the rear mounts to 9/16", as to allow using longer thru-bolts on the rear mounting. This allowed the longer bolts to go in from the front, and allow room for the attachment of the dampers at the rear. The longer bolts would not go in from the back, because of the clearance needed due to the spare tire pan, (Unless of course you dropped down the entire cradle, which I didn't want to do)
IMG_0249-600x800.jpg

Summary:
After driving with this configuration over 5000 miles, some comments:
The rear axle fluid temps are definitely reduced, not by much, but somewhat.
The rear axle temp used to run between 10 to 15 degrees less than the transmission temps.
Now, the rear axle temps are running 20-30 degrees less than the transmission. Fully warmed up extended driving in 90-95 degree weather, on Florida Interstate (road-surface temps well over 100 degrees F) , rear axle temp running between 205-210 degrees, where the temps were previously 225-240.
Sponsored

Last edited:

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Excellent read as always.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
Your cover looks really good. It’s too bad that a vendor wouldn’t mass produce your design.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
John - superb effort. I have seen a lot of writeups in my years and yours are always at the top. Clear, concise, and ripe with logic. You have a good grasp on all things mechanical and I respect the methods you used here in terms of fabrication.

One thing I'd like to point out is what typically happens when you change to a cover that isn't internally contoured to manage gear oil flow, dynamically. The cover you are now using has a fairly flat wall in contrast to the OEM design which follows the radius of the ring gear at the rear most portion. This can affect how the gear is both lubricated and cooled, as well as the bearings.

Gale Banks did some great videos that depict flow when changing to the flat wall style covers. The data you have noted post-install is indeed impressive. But I think you can appreciate what is being said here.

Sponsored

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
John - superb effort. I have seen a lot of writeups in my years and yours are always at the top. Clear, concise, and ripe with logic. You have a good grasp on all things mechanical and I respect the methods you used here in terms of fabrication.

One thing I'd like to point out is what typically happens when you change to a cover that isn't internally contoured to manage gear oil flow, dynamically. The cover you are now using has a fairly flat wall in contrast to the OEM design which follows the radius of the ring gear at the rear most portion. This can affect how the gear is both lubricated and cooled, as well as the bearings.

Gale Banks did some great videos that depict flow when changing to the flat wall style covers. The data you have noted post-install is indeed impressive. But I think you can appreciate what is being said here.

OMG what great info.

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I sure hope someone finds a solution to the rear diff overheating issue one day. All I need is 25 min before it overheats since that is the normal time frame during HPDEs

Dominator961

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
I sure hope someone finds a solution to the rear diff overheating issue one day. All I need is 25 min before it overheats since that is the normal time frame during HPDEs
If you’re having a over temp problem, replace the cooler with a larger cooler and electric fan.
The problem with IRS is the fluid capacity.

You could also mount the cooler in the front of the car and use a pump.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Several companies have found this solution and it works wonderful.

If all you want is 20-25 minutes of coverage, then simply a thicker fluid and exhaust wrap will suffice. Next step would be to install an inline cooler setup that will all but eliminate all your overheating problems.

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Several companies have found this solution and it works wonderful.

If all you want is 20-25 minutes of coverage, then simply a thicker fluid and exhaust wrap will suffice. Next step would be to install an inline cooler setup that will all but eliminate all your overheating problems.
I have changed to a thicker fluid and wrapped the exaust. Still overheating last summer on warm days on the last sessions after about 15 min. My next day this year is in April so I'll see how it does on cooler days.

Sponsored

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
If you’re having a over temp problem, replace the cooler with a larger cooler and electric fan.
The problem with IRS is the fluid capacity.

You could also mount the cooler in the front of the car and use a pump.
I have a GT PP1 so no cooler is installed. I'm trying to avoid going that route.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have a GT PP1 so no cooler is installed. I'm trying to avoid going that route.
IMO the cooler is worth it if you plan to go to the track somewhat regularly.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Incredible write up and fabrication skills waaaaay beyond what I could even think of. The videos were great to watch as well and completely eye opening. I went with the FTB kit as mentioned in this post and it completely handled my over heating issues while on track. Here is that link in case you wanted more visual:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ftb-diff-cooler-installed.114217/

The OP has created something pretty damn incredible for helping out with the situation....just amazing work.
Sponsored