Sponsored

Adding water to coolant reservoir?

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Took my car to the dealer and the tech told me they added a little bit of water to the reservoir tank. I asked if it was distilled water and he said no. Its tap water. Wtf!
Is it ok to add tap water or do you need to add distilled water?
Thanks.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It should be distilled water...but, if he added like a cup or say 16oz, it’s not the end of the world at all.

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
Actually, they should add the proper engine coolant, not just water. Adding water dilutes the coolant. How much dilution depends on how much water was added.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
For some reason ford seems to be retarded on this matter.

I had to get a jug of coolant from the dealership when I changed my thermostat. They didn't have the pre-mixed 50/50 stuff so I just bought a jug of pure coolant.

I've always known you're supposed to mix it with distilled or deionized water for some reason had a brain fart and ask the parts guy should I use distilled or deionized water... He goes neither. Tap water is fine lol

It's like ford wants your cooling system to get mineral deposits in it.

Reactions: Why

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
For some reason ford seems to be retarded on this matter.

I had to get a jug of coolant from the dealership when I changed my thermostat. They didn't have the pre-mixed 50/50 stuff so I just bought a jug of pure coolant.

I've always known you're supposed to mix it with distilled or deionized water for some reason had a brain fart and ask the parts guy should I use distilled or deionized water... He goes neither. Tap water is fine lol

It's like ford wants your cooling system to get mineral deposits in it.
That's not a FORD issue, its a DEALER issue and they are not always the same.

Sponsored

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
That's not a FORD issue, its a DEALER issue and they are not always the same.
Well considering I went to a FORD DEALER it is a FORD issue. It's coming from the techs and service advisors who are also trained by FORD.

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
That's why I don't let dealers work on my car... unless I have no other alternative. When I do, I stand where I can see the car and what they are doing to it.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
They should be cracking open a bottle of premix 50/50 and adding that to the system, not water. What a turd.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Learned my lesson on using tap water in radiator...

Years ago, I bought a classic 1965 Mustang. Took it on a long trip during summer. The coolant system overheated. I had to have an emergency radiator cleanout done. The radiator was nearly completely plugged. When I got home I contacted the seller...he said he always used tap water when he added coolant. From that point on, I have always used pure distilled water. I also use distilled water whenever my auto batteries need water. (Don't forget..your Stang battery does have removable plugs to add water...my dealer originally told me I had a no-maintenance battery until I showed him otherwise...thanks to this Forum)

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I'm sure it was a small amount just to top off the tank, nothing to lose sleep over. If they flushed the whole system and filled with tap water that would be a different story.

The small amount of tap water will be negligible once it's mixed with the rest of the coolant.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Well considering I went to a FORD DEALER it is a FORD issue. It's coming from the techs and service advisors who are also trained by FORD.
just FYI its the lowest ranking monkey toppin up fluids...it ain't some Ford trained/ASE super hero as you'd like to think.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Not a big deal at all. A cup here or there is not going to have enough dissolved solids to screw up anything.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
Too small of an amount to make a difference and it really depends on the quality of your local tap water. Around here we do not get mineral build up in pipes, water heaters, faucets, etc.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Coolant usually have enough chemical to prevent corrosion so a little bit of water is probably not a huge problem.
Sponsored