Sponsored

Can't Unscrew Coolant Reservoir Cap? Help!

golfstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White EB
I'm going insane help me out. My coolant level is like 2mm low of the minimum line, and I have to fill it perfectly... little bit of ocd.

Problem: the coolant reservoir cap (stock tank, stock cap) WILL NOT budge. I can't tell if it is cross threaded, pressurized, or what. It will twist one turn loosely, then it seems to tighten up again and just will not budge. I've tried twisting until it tightens, then pressing down a twisting more with no luck

Am I missing something? Or did some careless dealer tech cross thread it beyond repair?
Sponsored

ZombieHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red California Special
If I recall correctly, the engine can't be warm at all with no pressure in it and then you have to push down while turning it, they are bit tricky... I replaced my tank [with aftermarket] and had a heck of a time getting it off and on the new tank too, the threads seemed bad but after messing with it a bit I got it on all the way.. I even checked and it went on and off the same way on both tanks.. I almost went to the dealer to order another cap but didn't, I guess just remain calm and work with it.. good luck!

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
the first turn or 2 to loosen it is a bitch.
Use this:
79fa0246-8cd4-43b4-8898-1e3a599fe4eb_1000.jpg

Same deal to tighten it that last click
You know it's right when the writing on the cap is fully parallel with the radiator.
It takes about 162 turns to get the damn thing off and on.

Last edited:

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
i had the same prob the other week. coolant was on the low side so i wanted to top it off. the cap was extremely hard to twist off. ialmost got it all the way out but it wouldnt budge at one point, so i screwed it back in, went to pick up lunch to warm the car up, and when I got back, it came right off.
Sponsored