Quick Question on Adding oil to Factory Fill

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Hi I searched and didn't find a good answer or any for that matter. My factory fill oil level is okay at about 1600 miles or so on the car perhaps down just a very tiny bit. If I wanted to buy a quart to have in case I wanted to add a bit until the first oil change can I just use a Synthetic 5W20 oil? I suspect the car came with a Semi Synthetic Ford Motorcraft oil?

Manual says Motorcraft® SAE 5W-20 Premium Synthetic Blend Motor Oil? Or should I try to get a good Synthetic Blend to have around instead. Sorry if its a dumb question but I came up empty looking around. I don't want to do something I shouldn't either.
Sponsored

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Under "Maintenance / Engine Oil Check" the manual states that we should not add oil if the level is between the maximum and minimum marks.
Any oil that meets the Ford specification is ok, this probably includes any 5W-20 synthetic but check the spec to be sure.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Won’t be a problem, you’re realistically not even going to need a quart to top off. As long as you’re between the two dots, you’re fine. I prefer mine at the top dot but that’s just me.

OP
OP
Qcman17

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for both of the replies. Manual says oil spec is Ford WSS-M2C945-B1 & any of the Synthetic Oils say they conform to Ford WSS-M2C945-A I think it said. So I don't know if that is better or worse? But I'm not going to add anything at this point I was just thinking I should have some around if it gets low enough that it could need some as I know engines can use some when they are brand new sometimes. I was planning on doing my first oil change around 3500 miles so it may stay up enough anyways before I get there.

OP
OP
Qcman17

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
Okay so I answered my own question the only oil that meets the new Ford oil spec for 2019 on the GT is Motorcraft oil. Nothing else here in Canada does technically only the old Ford -A requirement. including Mobil 1 Full Synthetic which is crazy. See the info in the specs. Essentially this new formula is to prevent LSPI. So read you oil containers you may not be using oil "good enough" it seems which seems ludicrous to me honestly. So I bought the Motorcraft stuff exactly as the car came with. I may be going with dealer oil changes if this winds up being the only option to follow the spec.
20190712_143140.jpg
20190712_143230.jpg

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
LSPI prevention is moreso aimed at turbo engines such as the eco boost cars. There’s nothing about the CAN version Mustangs that differs in oil requirement. There’s many off the shelf full synthetics that are plenty suitable for the 5.0.

There’s been a shift in popularity away from
Mobil 1 and some testing has been posted to validate that. The popular choices seem to be Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum and Amsoil.

Some people swear by those, some swear by Mobil 1, some swear by Motorcraft. However, I wouldn’t run anything less than a full synthetic because I drive my car hard enough I want all the extra protection possible.
Sponsored