Sponsored

A10 weirdness with new Mach 1

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
You really shouldn’t be driving in track mode until the transmission is warmed up. Also it takes 500 - 1000 miles to learn in my experience.
Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
Does anyone have any documents that show/state the transmission needs to “learn how you drive” before it works properly. I’ve always been skeptical of these statements as it makes no sense to me. My initial thought was that it takes “x amount of time or miles” for the driver to learn how the A10 shifts and they tailor their driving style to accommodate it.

If I am designing a transmission I’d want it to work how it’s supposed to work in each respective mode from day 1. Needing a “learning” process seems like a great way to annoy customers. 🤷‍♂️

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Does anyone have any documents that show/state the transmission needs to “learn how you drive” before it works properly. I’ve always been skeptical of these statements as it makes no sense to me. My initial thought was that it takes “x amount of time or miles” for the driver to learn how the A10 shifts and they tailor their driving style to accommodate it.

If I am designing a transmission I’d want it to work how it’s supposed to work in each respective mode from day 1. Needing a “learning” process seems like a great way to annoy customers. 🤷‍♂️
This is old news. Been discussing this six years. Many articles on the web. Just search for Ford 10R80 Adaptive Learning.

https://oztuning.com/adaptive-learning-10r80/
https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/MC-10205526-0001.pdf
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&p=86599

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

Not sure this is relevant to the A10 :

1682078727020.png

WD :like:

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Since you said it’s especially while turning, perhaps it’s not the trans. Maybe the diff or tires? I don’t know what your previous cars were, but doesn’t the M1 get a different diff than the GT? I thought I read that it can act different in certain situations. Same with tires, maybe different width and/or compounds so it’s catching you off guard? Just a thought.
Now you know Mike, I hadn’t considered the tires slipping a bit. I guess I figured I could feel and hear the difference between transmission slipping and tires but I was turning right up a slight incline goosing it just a little in track mode at 1-2 upshift, so…

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
You really shouldn’t be driving in track mode until the transmission is warmed up. Also it takes 500 - 1000 miles to learn in my experience.
^^^ This. Take this advice, it's spot on.

The 10R80 is adaptive learning transmission, it's going to feel wonky for at least a good 500-1000 miles. Driving in Track Mode isn't smart as its first mode, because when it's trying to adapt or learn driving style:speed/rpm/shift points, that's definitely not the mode to be in for a brand new off the lot driving pattern.

If you hit that main 10R80 thread linked her rand go to Post 1, Page 1 and scroll into it, there many FAQ's provided. I would also suggest reading the attached PDF's and any hyperlinks regarding HOW the transmission functions and what makes it work. It's NOT your old school basic C4, AOD, AODE, C6, 6R80..... it has A LOT of computer tech and internal parts and is quite advanced. So read up on it so you're understanding it's functions.

Last edited:

Obsidian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 White
^^^ This. Take this advice, it's spot on.

The 10R80 is adaptive learning transmission, it's going to feel wonky for at least a good 500-1000 miles. Driving but in Track Mode isn't smart as its first mode, because when it's trying to adapt or learn driving style:speed/rpm/shift points, that's definitely not the mode to be in for a brand new off the lot driving pattern.

If you hit that main 10R80 thread linked her rand go to Post 1, Page 1 and scroll into it, there many FAQ's provided. I would also suggest reading the attached PDF's and any hyperlinks regarding HOW the transmission functions and what makes it work. It's NOT your old school basic C4, AOD, AODE, C6, 6R80..... it has A LOT of computer tech and internal parts and is quite advanced. So read up on it so you're understanding it's functions.
The only thing I worry about the regular drive mode is it keeps the rpms too stable when you’re supposed to be breaking in the engine. Now I’m not saying to do full pulls but I always felt sport or maybe even track in the right way can help vary your speed and rpms better. I may be wrong but that’s my amateur theory haha

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

It’s in the owners manual. It learns the way you drive so it can find the optimal shift points and gears. It doesn’t shift sequentially (1-2-3-4-5….). It hunts for the right gears depending on how you’re driving and what drive mode you’re in. For example, in Normal mode it’s looking to maximize MPG so it finds the proper gears depending on the RPM’s, speed, etc. to maximize MPG. Sport and Track have different logics programmed in. That’s why it needs to learn the way you drive, not the other way around. Chevy’s 10 speed is the same, their tuning is just a little different (and better in some people’s opinion).

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's

Read the Mach 1 Supplement...page 23:

Automatic Transmission Adaptive Learning

This feature is designed to increase durability and provide consistent shift feel over the life of your vehicle. A new vehicle or transmission may have firm or soft shifts. This operation is normal and does not affect function or durability of the transmission. Over time, the adaptive learning process fully updates transmission operation.

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
I live in Jasper. Bought the car in Athens. 4 hour round trip.
Do you have a local Ford dealer to go to? You do bored to take it where it was purchased for any kind of service. Any Ford Dealer is authorized to work on it.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Well that was easy. Even has some decent ratings.
Very nice! No reason at all to go all the way back. I ordered my car from Florida because I’m good friends with the owner. So I obviously have to take mine somewhere else unless the motor or trans blowup after the factory warranty because they gave me a lifetime power train warranty that I THINK is only good with them.
https://shottenkirkfordjasper.com/car-repair

JCN

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
20 Mustang GT, 14 F150, 23 F150
It should’ve been a check by the dealer asked by you to make sure everything was OK. I would never pick up a car without having to dealer check the fluids.
My 23 F150 was just over a quart low, had dealer fix it. They advised that trans level is no longer on Fords "check before delivery list". Don't know if that's true or not, they had no explanation as to why neither axle or transfer case hadn't been checked. Rear axle was a quart low also.

Gfswindle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT A10
My 23 F150 was just over a quart low, had dealer fix it. They advised that trans level is no longer on Fords "check before delivery list". Don't know if that's true or not, they had no explanation as to why neither axle or transfer case hadn't been checked. Rear axle was a quart low also.
I could see the trans fluid being taken off the list since it is a hassle to check. Getting the trans to operating temp depending on the time of year can take a long time. During the winter on my daily commute to and from work the trans never even registers on the temp gauge. Summer it might make it to 140°F by the time I am home in the afternoon.

MPGainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2014 Porsche 911 50th
I don't know anything about tranmission fluid, but for what it's worth, my 2022 Mach 1 is an automatic and the shifting was a little rough and clunky during the first 1,000 miles or so. So much that I almost took it back to the dealer. Somewhere in the manual it says that it might shift roughly during the break in period... and it did. By about 2,000 miles it seemed to sort itself out. I take mine to HPDE events regularly and it shifts much more crisply in Track mode while on a track (but not when driven normally on the street in Track mode). I've found for street use, leaving it in Normal but putting the shift selector in S stops the transmission from hunting for the right gear. It also doesn't try to get to 10th as quickly as it normally would. Every once in a while I still get some shifts as you described, and I now have about 3,200 miles on it. Last thing to note, if I put it in Sports+ before it's properly warmed up the shifting is rough. It's sort of like it shoves you into the next gear. Given that this tranmission is shared with GM, and I own a GM with that A10 in it, and it shifts just fine, Ford should have programmed this better - but plenty has already been said about that on other threads.
Sponsored