A pillar madness. Can't re-install.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Today I tried tackling another step in my stereo upgrade and started to install the new tweeters in the A pillars. Got the drivers side off without a problem. Passenger side was being difficult. When it finally let go, my head was in the way. Ended up taking a chunk of skin off and now have a 1 inch bloddy scrape across the middle of my forehead. Hurt like hell. Should have stopped there. Because that was a sign. Got the tweeters into the mounting holes successfully. But now I can't get the A pillars to back in. Unknowingly bent the tab that goes into the slot up by the most forward part of the dash so many times that it will never go in that hole again. It's no longer stiff enough to engage with the slot. I will likely need a new A pillar trim or might have to get creative and try to repair the tab with some JB weld.
Got pretty fed up with the ordeal and had to walk away. :headbang:

What the hell is the secret to get that sunnuvabiotch back in? Looking for suggestions before I ruin another A pillar.
Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
The secret is patience. Then again, I have no clue how you were able to injure yourself by taking it out, considering the cover is literally tethered to the pillar in order to keep it from ramming into your skull at a zillion miles per hour when the airbag goes off.

I recommend living that project car, #builtnotbought #primergray lifestyle for 24 hours or so and try it again after you've stopped bleeding.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I watched some Youtube videos and there is a technique you use to put them back in. This video has some guidance:

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I watched some Youtube videos and there is a technique you use to put them back in. This video has some guidance:
Thanks. I did see this video and one by 5-Star Car Stereo. It's real hard to see what's going on in both videos. I'm going to try using a trim tool to guide that tab into place this time.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Thanks. I did see this video and one by 5-Star Car Stereo. It's real hard to see what's going on in both videos. I'm going to try using a trim tool to guide that tab into place this time.
That should help, I used a trim tool on mine and didn't have any issues. If I remember correctly when I installed the A pillar trim in mine I had to turn it so it was facing more into the center of the car at an angle and then once it's inserted I raised it up and twisted towards the A pillar, then you have to ensure everything is connected properly with the release pieces. I don't remember it being difficult or hard, but you do have to becareful not forcing things in to hard and breaking them.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
What happened Stangtime? Could you install the other A-pillar successfully? Hope so. Man, those stupid instructions from the service manual are almost useless. Curious if engine removal instructions read like this:
1. Disconnect all electrical connectors, remove all bolts, drain coolant, remove hoses, remove hood.
2. Remove engine.
Re-install in reverse order. Ha ha.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Haha yeah that's about right.

Got them both in with a fight last night. I can tell you one thing... these are installed on the assembly line BEFORE the windshield goes in. The glass prevents the A-pillar trim from being able to position it far enough forward to prevent the tabs from mashing into the edge of the dash. With the windshield in the way, you have to force the tabs to bend and they won't go in nicely. I am never taking these buggers off again!

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I’ve had my left one off completely twice and back together with some patience. The right side won’t come out so I elected not to force it but I can pull it away far enough to get behind it to do the work I need and from there it will go back in place about as good as the left side.
Sponsored