A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Looks like mid-April is soonest any dealer can get it in. Will let you know what happens.
Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
Anyone need a hvac evaporator core from new 2019 gt? I’m about ready to throw it out. I’m in90275

HoosierMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
I just had the 3rd evaporator replacement on my 2015 Ecoboost. 2015 (at 4,500 miles), 2017 (at 10K miles) and just now 2022 (at 20K miles). Luckily the first two were covered under warranty, but the latest cost me about $2K.

Anyone had any luck getting these reimbursed from Ford corporate? What's the exact process to follow and the magic words to get some consideration?

Seanuf99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Have them check the AC system charge. If it's way down then it could be a leak some place.
Actually was able to get it in to the dealer sooner than they originally told me. They say it was just low charge but no leaks, so must have not been done properly at the factory. Blows cold now, but then again, temp went down to 40s today, so will see this weekend after it warms up some.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I just had the 3rd evaporator replacement on my 2015 Ecoboost. 2015 (at 4,500 miles), 2017 (at 10K miles) and just now 2022 (at 20K miles). Luckily the first two were covered under warranty, but the latest cost me about $2K.

Anyone had any luck getting these reimbursed from Ford corporate? What's the exact process to follow and the magic words to get some consideration?
In this very thread people were able to get Ford to help with cost of repair when without warranty. You'll have to back track a few pages. Call the Ford 800# and start a case. They know this is and has been an issue.

Surprisingly there has never been a Class Action started...

Sponsored

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Yes, very surprising. With all the people who have reported this problem, and the non-trivial cost of it, and the other class-action suits that have been filed, it is puzzling that one hasn't happened on the A/C evaporator.

Anyone thinking about doing it? It only takes two parties to form a 'class' for an 'action.'

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I have contacted a law firm to try and get a class action started.
Thank you!!

In all seriousness, please keep us all posted! If you need another member to constitute the ‘class’ I’m happy to be a part of this (my evaporator hasn’t failed (yet), but I am concerned about it).

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30
Yes, very surprising. With all the people who have reported this problem, and the non-trivial cost of it, and the other class-action suits that have been filed, it is puzzling that one hasn't happened on the A/C evaporator.

Anyone thinking about doing it? It only takes two parties to form a 'class' for an 'action.'
Well, it only takes one person to file the suit, but you’ll never get it certified as a class action in Federal Court with just two “injured” parties as you have to deal with Rule 23 and one of the first issues to overcome is Numerosity.

In any event, it does sound like their are numerous injured parties that very well could end up meeting all the requirements under Rule 23 to get it brought as a class action in Federal Court.

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
FWIW, these are the class action suit rules:

http://www.dccourts.gov/sites/default/files/rules-superior-court/Civil Rule 23. Class Actions.pdf

I'm not an attorney, but during my corporate experiences I've been on the receiving end of shareholder class action lawsuits. There were class action suits filed with only two (2) members representing the 'class'. After filing, the plaintiff's attorneys advertised and did heavy outreach to try and recruit additional plaintiffs to join the class. In more than one case, despite there being only literally two (2) members of the class, the company still had to pay out seven-figure settlements. It didn't seem to take any more than two people to make it happen, and two plaintiffs shared a substantial settlement (after the lawyers got their 40% of course).

From my read of the federal rules, it seems to only take a single person to file a suit on behalf of a class. There have been so many people who have had problems with the A/C system, seemingly a significant portion if not majority of 2015-2017 owners, that there should be no problem making a very legitimate claim.

Sponsored

timd38

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT/CS C6 Corvette
Well, it only takes one person to file the suit, but you’ll never get it certified as a class action in Federal Court with just two “injured” parties as you have to deal with Rule 23 and one of the first issues to overcome is Numerosity.

In any event, it does sound like their are numerous injured parties that very well could end up meeting all the requirements under Rule 23 to get it brought as a class action in Federal Court.
I agreed to let them use my name. Not sure if anything will come out of it, but firm won the MT82 and Focus transmission suits.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I agreed to let them use my name. Not sure if anything will come out of it, but firm won the MT82 and Focus transmission suits.
What MT82 suit? 2018 shift forks?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
In this very thread people were able to get Ford to help with cost of repair when without warranty. You'll have to back track a few pages. Call the Ford 800# and start a case. They know this is and has been an issue.

Mine was repaired with a small deductable ($200) out of warranty 6 months, original owner (this matters A LOT) and dealer serviced from day 1.

ScottyRyan2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 BMW M2, 2023 Mazda CX-30
I wish you and anyone else effected success!!!!

analogman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thank you for doing this! It was a smart move contacting the law firm that won the MT82 lawsuit. They specialize in this kind of thing. If anyone can make a case of it, they probably can.
Sponsored