HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It seems like there are way too many owners having it replaced more than once. Statistically, its very very rare for it to happen even once so should not expect to see multiple times for so many people. That may point to problems that crop up due to how the install is done. You would expect the factory to be a lot more consistent one car to the next than even the best dealer tech. Which would show up as more multiple multiple repairs. Not saying there could be some other explanation for the grossly abnormal number of multiple repairs but there is definitely something causing once repaired cars being way more likely to need another than the average car off the lot needing the first.
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
It seems like there are way too many owners having it replaced more than once. Statistically, its very very rare for it to happen even once so should not expect to see multiple times for so many people. That may point to problems that crop up due to how the install is done. You would expect the factory to be a lot more consistent one car to the next than even the best dealer tech. Which would show up as more multiple multiple repairs. Not saying there could be some other explanation for the grossly abnormal number of multiple repairs but there is definitely something causing once repaired cars being way more likely to need another than the average car off the lot needing the first.
I agree that how it's installed could be a factor - like a fitting it tightened and it weakens a weld with then pops after a bunch of thermal cycles from AC use. But whatever it is, it's pretty ridiculous that a big company like Ford can't put some smart engineers on the problem to find the root cause and come up with a permanent solution. As long as this has been going on, I don't think Ford is attacking the problem aggressively enough.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
My AC went out today suddenly. It doesn't look like the compressor is engaging at all and it looks like it is covered in gunk and had been spewing the gunk onto the sway bar.

Anyone else have their compressor fail? Is this possibly related to the evaporator core?

Thanks,
Daniel
My compressor met god at 23k.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Has anyone posted pics of a failed evap, hopefully with the dye showing? Where are the damn things leaking specifically? Are they a composite construction?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Has anyone posted pics of a failed evap, hopefully with the dye showing? Where are the damn things leaking specifically? Are they a composite construction?
I've asked many times if someone knows where the leaks occur ... never any response, it's like some super secret.

The whole evaporator is made out of aluminum. My theory is the thermal cycles from a lot of use causes something to contract and expand enough to cause the aluminum material or a weld to fail.

Sponsored

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, Ford ... let's take one cluster f@*k and make it even more so. :curse:
There will be a few Mustangs on the used car market. And people choosing another brand.

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Well evaporator core replaced as with ac compressor oil.
Performed TSB 18-2166
Ford used part number: FR3Z 19860-B.. Seems the older ones were all FR3Z 19850 series.. Lets hope this is the fix.

I have one more year left on my bumper to bumper warranty so we will see.
The FR3Z-19850 is the entire evaporator assembly. The FR3Z-19860 is just the core itself. Ford used to replace the entire assembly and now just replace the core. I'm guessing it's due to cost since the core is about 1/3 the price of the entire assembly. Saves Ford money on warranty claims.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The FR3Z-19850 is the entire evaporator assembly. The FR3Z-19860 is just the core itself. Ford used to replace the entire assembly and now just replace the core. I'm guessing it's due to cost since the core is about 1/3 the price of the entire assembly. Saves Ford money on warranty claims.
I thought they previously replaced the whole assembly because it was a sealed unit. Do you know if that's the case?

If so, I'd really like to see the procedure the dealer uses to cut it open and somehow put it back together.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought they previously replaced the whole assembly because it was a sealed unit. Do you know if that's the case?

If so, I'd really like to see the procedure the dealer uses to cut it open and somehow put it back together.
Probably a Sawz-All to open it up ... lots of glue and duct tape to close it back up. :angry:

Sponsored

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
So, looks like mine went out. 2015 GT, 3.5 years old from original in service date, 41300 on the clock. I have the extended warranty premium care which should cover this. How do I go about ensuring it is the evaporator though and the local dealer doesn't try to screw me over and say it's something else. I can see them saying "well it's actually the line that goes to it" or something like that...

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
How do I go about ensuring it is the evaporator though and the local dealer doesn't try to screw me over and say it's something else. I can see them saying "well it's actually the line that goes to it" or something like that...
Have them look up TSB 18-2166 . See the post on my repair order . They refilled my A/C and DIDN'T find a visible leak , but replaced the core and referred to the TSB

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
So, looks like mine went out. 2015 GT, 3.5 years old from original in service date, 41300 on the clock. I have the extended warranty premium care which should cover this. How do I go about ensuring it is the evaporator though and the local dealer doesn't try to screw me over and say it's something else. I can see them saying "well it's actually the line that goes to it" or something like that...
Blaming it on something else can be good or bad. Dealers will sometimes blame a problem on something they know or suspect is not the cause just so they can get paid for that as well as for what it really takes later. If all is done "free" for the owner, that is still bad from the standpoint of multiple times at dealer or dealer possibly messing something else up while doing any repair. On the plus side, new parts you may not need are usually better than old parts, particularly parts that might wear out before you would sell the car. If my AC ever fails and the dealer wants to replace the compressor (for example), I might not object even if I'm sure its something else. More likely to push back if they want to replace the evaporator if I think its something else just to avoid mistakes since that job rips the car apart to do.

FirstGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ingot Silver '18 GT 400a PP1
Blaming it on something else can be good or bad. Dealers will sometimes blame a problem on something they know or suspect is not the cause just so they can get paid for that as well as for what it really takes later. If all is done "free" for the owner, that is still bad from the standpoint of multiple times at dealer or dealer possibly messing something else up while doing any repair. On the plus side, new parts you may not need are usually better than old parts, particularly parts that might wear out before you would sell the car. If my AC ever fails and the dealer wants to replace the compressor (for example), I might not object even if I'm sure its something else. More likely to push back if they want to replace the evaporator if I think its something else just to avoid mistakes since that job rips the car apart to do.
Good info and points, I guess I meant more along the lines of trying to say it's gonna be some thing not covered by the ESP warranty