Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

Dave2017GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium PP1
I doubt that it matters but I never drive with the Windows down and the AC on and i never ever drive the car hard when the AC is on. Steps i doubt make a difference but i take them out of caution. 12,000 miles and cold AC for whatever its worth.
Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
mine had 35k before i got rid of it and it was still blowing cold.

i dont think it matters in terms of mileage, but how often the AC is used. I use it for about half a year up in long island NY

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Track Pak Triple Yellow
Someone has to start it and no one has stepped up to the plate... I mean some of the replies in this very thread have had upwards of (3) replacements! You’d be damned skippy if it were my vehicle that had 2, let alone (3) evap cores replacements, I’d be on the phone with Ford demanding a Buy Back.

The problem is, if warranty has expired, most folks don’t have $1,700.00 laying around to get their vehicle A/C working - let alone the other half that wants to buy an extended warranty, but also does not have $1k+ laying around to poke out “just in case”....

If someone has completed a Buy Back for a redundant EVAP core failure, it has not been posted in this thread... maybe they posted it in the Lemon Law thread in the TSB sub forum on here,

Also to note, if some of you are fed up and going on your 2nd evap core... you’re losing time to do a Lemon claim or Buy Back, especially more so the 2015/2016 owners...

I think 1 member posted in this thread he was able to get Ford to eat the cost, since his failure occurred just after his warranty expired, but those lucky ones are few and far between...
I filed a claim in our consumer protection agency against Ford and the dealer requesting a buy back, so to speak, and reimbursement of all lease payments. Our local law provides a remedy for repeated and uncorrected defects that the dealer can't or will not repair. I still have a year left on the warranty and I'm running on a third evap core part W and a second compressor.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
I'm running on a third evap core part W and a second compressor.
wow this is just terrible..3??? mine was done in sept last year, i was hoping the one i got was the latest and greatest..might be time to just part ways and get a truck and jetski now:tsk:

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I filed a claim in our consumer protection agency against Ford and the dealer requesting a buy back, so to speak, and reimbursement of all lease payments. Our local law provides a remedy for repeated and uncorrected defects that the dealer can't or will not repair. I still have a year left on the warranty and I'm running on a third evap core part W and a second compressor.
Wait, are you saying you've had the newest revision W fail?

Sponsored

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
i don't think using the A/C is making the evaps fail any faster. in all reality the system pressure on the evaporator is less when running than it is when the system is not running. standing pressure in a R134 system not pumping can be 125 psi where as suction pressure which is what the evap would see during operation is 20-40 psi.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
It’s probably the heat cycles and how much condensation occurs, and it corrodes the metal part of the evap just enough to create a leak

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
[MENTION=15808]rfcs550[/MENTION]

Wow... 3 failures and where are you in regards to the Buy Back process? Has Ford authorized the Buy Back?

wow this is just terrible..3??? mine was done in sept last year, i was hoping the one i got was the latest and greatest..might be time to just part ways and get a truck and jetski now:tsk:

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dealer claims part W is not leaking, but even with the new compressor it's not blowing cold air as it should.

It takes 5 min. or longer to cool the cabin and never ice cold depeding on the weather, time of day or exposure to sun etc. Apart from the mediocre cooling function in max a/c the other symptom now is that the blower changes speeds intermittently.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
It’s probably the heat cycles and how much condensation occurs, and it corrodes the metal part of the evap just enough to create a leak
Heat cycles, expansion/contraction, vibrations etc. Most of these frequent failures seem to be coming from warmer areas of the country. Hell, I've already been using my AC on and off the last month here in South Carolina.

Sponsored

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=15808]rfcs550[/MENTION]

Wow... 3 failures and where are you in regards to the Buy Back process? Has Ford authorized the Buy Back?
The answer is no so far. Ford has not responded to the lawsuit.

I had to sue because that's the only way to get Ford's attention and before my warranty expires.

Ford's customer service for domestic USA does not serve Puerto Rico. There's no customer service in Puerto Rico to speak of and the contact information (email) that Ford USA provided for PR is inactive. Ford actively markets and sells cars in PR, but they do not respond to any complaints unless they have to (in a lawsuit). To give you an idea of the disconnect with the customer, I have received e-mails from Ford's GM in PR concerning surveys for dealer service, but there's no contact information whatsoever to reach that person. Just a name and a title...

rfcs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heat cycles, expansion/contraction, vibrations etc. Most of these frequent failures seem to be coming from warmer areas of the country. Hell, I've already been using my AC on and off the last month here in South Carolina.
Great point. Sounds like a manufacturing defect to me.

Does anyone know the source that manufactures these evaporator assemblies for Ford? Do they supply these same parts to other manufacturers? I suspect the defect should be widespread among many car brands.

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
The answer is no so far. Ford has not responded to the lawsuit.

I had to sue because that's the only way to get Ford's attention and before my warranty expires.

Ford's customer service for domestic USA does not serve Puerto Rico. There's no customer service in Puerto Rico to speak of and the contact information (email) that Ford USA provided for PR is inactive. Ford actively markets and sells cars in PR, but they do not respond to any complaints unless they have to (in a lawsuit). To give you an idea of the disconnect with the customer, I have received e-mails from Ford's GM in PR concerning surveys for dealer service, but there's no contact information whatsoever to reach that person. Just a name and a title...
If you have a name you can usually figure out the email address. Google @ford.com. See how they format the name and send an email using that format for the name. That has actually worked for me a few times when I needed to contact a higher up in a company but had no email address.

cechk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Great point. Sounds like a manufacturing defect to me.

Does anyone know the source that manufactures these evaporator assemblies for Ford? Do they supply these same parts to other manufacturers? I suspect the defect should be widespread among many car brands.
I'm betting design defect causing bad welds

iGovernment

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP A10
I'm betting design defect causing bad welds
Yeah the welds are crap. When I got my car back I have a new issue. The air keeps switching from in cabin air to outside air, like 5 seconds of in cabin circulation and like 20 seconds of outside air. Really annoying and now it is summer I really need to bring it back in.
Sponsored