Sponsored

A/C Evaporator Factory Defect

rocknstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium A6
I did tell the salesman that if I had my way I'd return it and take my trade in back. The loss would be tough so I hope they can sort it out. If anyone has any recommendations for a dealer service center with expertise in this area in the Houston area that would be appreciated.
Sponsored

rocknstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium A6
Got the car back today. Turns out something was wrong at the fuse box. The AC Compressor fuse did not have a solid connection. So hitting a bump could cause it to lose connection and abruptly turn cold air to warm, humid air. At this point it seems my issue was a false alarm.

ricardocabesa

STD free
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT w/PP
I bought an EB 3 months ago and from Day One,it wasn't cooling properly. So brought it in and the factory had put too much Freon in. So they drained it,put the correct amount in and also dye to check for leaks.It's better but not as good as it should be. I'm trading it tomorrow for a GT but I'm sad to hear this is across all models. The new evaporator has been out for a while but I don't know the production date for the new part to be installed from the factory. I'll know soon!

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
Bullet dodged!
unfortunately i took a direct hit.

my service advisor today told me my evap core is toast. in addition to that, the loud whining noise i've been hearing apparently is from the a/c compressor clutch disintegrating... fml.

he told me i'm the first s550 to come to him for this problem. he has no idea if the parts have been revised or updated, because the computer tells him only what is current.

i'm from canada. the local ford parts warehouse does not have any stock for evap cores, and the computer as of today was showing it was on backorder nationally.

so my car is in pieces sitting somewhere in the back of their shop. it could be weeks before there are parts unless some miracle happens next week and there is inventory again. meanwhile they put me in a nice fusion as a long term loaner until my car is fixed, for which i'm thankful for because i don't think i could survive more than a few days with the miserable double clutch base ford focus i usually end up in.... or worse, a fiesta (i'm 6'1". clown car).

and so my watch begins...

Last edited:

Sponsored

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
so im bringing my car in tomorrow, are the dealers able to just go out to the car, turn it on, crank up the ac and just know its the evap?

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
Florida dealers should be on the up and up on that

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
so im bringing my car in tomorrow, are the dealers able to just go out to the car, turn it on, crank up the ac and just know its the evap?
No, they will have to run some leak tests to determine if the evaporator is leaking or if it's something else.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
No, they will have to run some leak tests to determine if the evaporator is leaking or if it's something else.
good to know, although its showing all the trademarks of a bad evap..will report back after i drop it off..having the cooled seats done too, but all i read it doesn't help either :frusty:

Sponsored

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
unfortunately i took a direct hit.

That sux. A compressor is not a hard fix but the evap will take awhile. If they can get the compressor now and install it then re-fill the AC system you could have AC until the evap comes in.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
add me to the list of multiples now...

Left work today to head to lunch, noticed a strange hissing sound coming from the passenger side when the a/c first started up that quickly went away. First 5 miles of driving, cold air only came out of the passenger side vents. After 5 miles, the drivers side became cooler, but never as cold as the passenger side.

21k miles, 2015 EB Prem, first was replaced around 12k miles about a year ago. 3/36 warranty expires next month. 2 2015 Fords in the house, both have been a huge POS. It's pretty bad when i'm on a first name basis with 3 different service departments now :(

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
That sux. A compressor is not a hard fix but the evap will take awhile. If they can get the compressor now and install it then re-fill the AC system you could have AC until the evap comes in.
i don't think it matters because half of my interior is sitting on the shop floor. i don't think ford will pay for the labor to re/re my interior twice... cheaper to give me the service loaner instead.

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
add me to the list of multiples now...

Left work today to head to lunch, noticed a strange hissing sound coming from the passenger side when the a/c first started up that quickly went away. First 5 miles of driving, cold air only came out of the passenger side vents. After 5 miles, the drivers side became cooler, but never as cold as the passenger side.

21k miles, 2015 EB Prem, first was replaced around 12k miles about a year ago. 3/36 warranty expires next month. 2 2015 Fords in the house, both have been a huge POS. It's pretty bad when i'm on a first name basis with 3 different service departments now :(
It might be interesting to note if the new part # has changed this time around, when I had mine done recently I was told by the service adviser the part # had changed.

Ground Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 White EB+PP
It might be interesting to note if the new part # has changed this time around, when I had mine done recently I was told by the service adviser the part # had changed.
Definitely this.

One of the most valuable things in this thread is the ongoing and updating part number/letter changes.
Sponsored