Sponsored

$75 Patch Job

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
s expecting to be able to carry a full size tire with OEM wheel, like my Jeep Wrangler.
You can, it just won't fit in the hole. I need to go back and remeasure but I believe the max diameter is just under 27 inches.

It's not like you actually put things in the trunk of a mustang.

And DONUT spares always gone on the rear axle.
Sponsored

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Pistol
And spares always gone on the rear axle.
Not if you have a trac-lok diff. You will eat the clutches unless it is the same diameter as the other side.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Pistol

Not if you have a trac-lok diff. You will eat the clutches unless it is the same diameter as the other side.
Yes, people keep saying this, and I tend to agree. And yet if you look in the owner’s manual, the illustration for the section on using the spare shows it being mounted on the rear.
D1735609-50AD-410C-98A9-DEA7F990C753.png

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
it's rather assumed that your TEMPORARY donut is going to be used for <50 miles and is approximately the same rolling size as your normal tire. The clutches are in a THICK SOUP of oil and will be just dandy fine.

you don't put the donut up front because of 1) weight and far more importantly 2) braking and steering control, or the lack thereof.

If you're running crazy staggered and no way in hell the rear wheel will fit up front, then fine you can use it but keep speeds well south of 30mph. But really it's time to reach for the Ducati solution - phone in the flat-bed Rescue Rangers.

Last edited:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
it's rather assumed that your TEMPORARY donut is going to be used for <50 miles
One would hope.
But really it's time to reach for the Ducati solution - phone in the flat-bed Rescue Rangers.
Ha Ha thought you were going to say the HD solution.

I'd rather flat bed than wear out my diff, unless the donut is within 1 inch of the diameter of the other.

I don't carry a spare in the mustang, damn car is heavy enough. If I lived out west or in a very rural area I'd stick one in.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
It's not like you actually put things in the trunk of a mustang.
On the contrary, I coach my son’s travel baseball team and all his gear plus mine fits just fine in my trunk. One of the reasons I passed on a Camaro, now that is a useless trunk.

KB_210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Grabber Blue A10
I thought so, but it was patch'able since it only created a pin hole. The patch is holding up so far with 1,000 miles on it.

This flat is nothing compared to what my Jetta GLI got -- half piece of a large plyer lodged in on sidewall, and requiring a new tire.
Is a 300-400 tire really worth totaling a car worth $40k minimum that can accidentally hit 100 mph pretty easy? I don’t agree with people cheaping out things that should be considered a safety hazard. The best case scenario is the tire blows out and wrecks the car.

KB_210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Grabber Blue A10
Yes, people keep saying this, and I tend to agree. And yet if you look in the owner’s manual, the illustration for the section on using the spare shows it being mounted on the rear.
D1735609-50AD-410C-98A9-DEA7F990C753.png
Just remember, the mechanical engineers aren't the ones writing the manuals.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Look on the bright side - you can now take the opportunity to have some proper fun, by giving the tires a good and well-deserved send-off. You can do donuts and line locks and hand brake turns until the wires show through. :inlove: :devil:

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Just remember, the mechanical engineers aren't the ones writing the manuals.
True, but then again if you blow out the diff after using the spare on the rear axle within warranty, Ford wouldn’t be able to claim that it was your fault and not cover it. But I guess chances are you’d only reduce the lifespan and not blow it up.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
But I guess chances are you’d only reduce the lifespan and not blow it up.
I think most who would use the donut would not know if the diff was burnt up or not.

Depending on the diameter of the small tire if you drove 50 miles non stop on the freeway the diff temp would be 300 plus.

The torsen would probably be fine.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I view the spare tire as a short term fix to get to a tire repair shop or home. If I have to drive more than a dozen miles or on the highway, I’ll call a tow truck. My insurance covers a tow within 25 miles, I only pay over and above 25 miles.

MachNroll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Mustang
Not necessarily. I got one for mine from Automotive Authority that is big enough to fit over the brembo brakes. I did a test fit and it fits the front just fine and should fit the rear no problem as well. It is a compact spare and fits in the well pretty good. It does stick up a little further and makes the trunk floor stick up just a little bit.

https://www.automotiveauthorityllc.com/collections/mustang-gt-spare-tire-1
How long did it take for your order to arrive from AA? Were they backordered? I'm on day 8 with no shipping notification....
Sponsored