Sponsored

$75 Patch Job

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
On my trip to Moyock NC to visit my son on Thanksgiving I had a flat. Took $75 to get it patched. It was Friday 5pm and all tire places were closing up or already closed. Found one place that stayed late when I offered up a fat tip. $25 patch, the rest was the tip.

690502083.jpg

690502136.jpg

690502653.jpg

New Tire.jpg

Finally, new tire after I got home 2 weeks later.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought so, but it was patch'able since it only created a pin hole. The patch is holding up so far with 1,000 miles on it.

This flat is nothing compared to what my Jetta GLI got -- half piece of a large plyer lodged in on sidewall, and requiring a new tire.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Glad you got home. One of the things i like about the Mustang is they have a place in the trunk to fit a spare. So far never owned a car without a spare.
I get what you are saying about the actual hole turned out to be small. 1000 miles is impressive.

Sponsored

OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As you can see in the photo, the tire was bulging from the threaded bolt meaning it did not penetrate deep. Besides, I had my trunk full of stuff (and Christmas presents). Having to unload to get to spare tire, etc. was just too much to handle. In addition I carry a heavy duty air pump and the ARB flat tire repair kit.

I ordered a spare tire kit from a Ford dealer's part place. Was almost $200 cheaper than having on an option to purchase as new car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lessons learned from this event: Bought me a better knee pads from Walmart, ones with heavy plastic shield for $12.99.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Iā€™m surprised a reputable shop would agree to repair it.

OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, may/may be not -- the pin hole puncture was more on the bottom corner, not on sidewall even though photo made it look bad,

Tucker80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang CS, 2024 Civic Type R, SV650
Iā€™m surprised a reputable shop would agree to repair it.
No reputable shop would have even considered touching that tire. Reminds me of the day a lady came in for a "flat repair". Said it was a nail or something... popped the trunk and it was a railroad tie through the tread and out the sidewall by the bead. It's still sitting in the lobby of the shop under the road hazard sign.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I also agree that tire should not have been patched - even if it's holding air. That sidewall damage is a high risk to even continue driving on it. Just because it's holding air doesn't mean it's safe, not when the sidewall flexes under load and when the tire psi also expands/contracts based on heat from driving and exterior temps.

I'm not seeing a "pinhole"; I see a 1/4" threaded rod through the sidewall and a tear where it has pierced the sidewall.

How did the shop patch it? Did they remove the tire and patch internally, or did they do the "exterior plug"?

IMO - you're really risking yourself and others around you by driving on that tire, regardless if it's holding air.
Sponsored