$75 Patch Job

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; interesting as to how so many seem to never had to do an emergency repair to get home. I have and later on fixed things up properly. I was poor a lot of years and did make do repairs when needed.

I get the image looks bad. Most of the damage seems to be in the outer rubber. Apparently the spot which allowed air to leak out was tiny. Not ideal but sometimes you do what you can to get home.

LS1Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Hello; interesting as to how so many seem to never had to do an emergency repair to get home. I have and later on fixed things up properly. I was poor a lot of years and did make do repairs when needed.

I get the image looks bad. Most of the damage seems to be in the outer rubber. Apparently the spot which allowed air to leak out was tiny. Not ideal but sometimes you do what you can to get home.
There is a HUGE difference on doing something like that yourself compared to a shop that is LIABLE if anyone gets hurt from a blowout.

OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Even though first tire guy marked the puncture location outside, he could not find it inside, with the tire mounted on a patch station. He had to call a 2d, more experienced tire guy. The 2d guy put on a headlamp to see it and had difficulty finding it so he started using index and middle fingers to feel for the pin hole. This is when he finally found it and it was located on the flat part of the tire, not on the sidewall. They allowed me to see the whole process in the garage. Both guys said, yup we can patch this.

The second pic is my Mud Terrain tire on Jeep Wrangler. Very new tire sidewall split after having driven 120 miles on a White Rim Trail in Moab, Utah, aired down to 20 pounds. BFGoodrich said it was safe to drive, will not replace the tire as long as it did not leak air. I drove it until it wore out. I am not driving a Ford Explorer, so all good.

Pin hole.jpg

SidewallSplit.jpg

Last edited:

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I had a flat similar to that when I was young and broke. Discount tire didn't want to patch it because it was in the sidewall. I convinced the guy to do me a solid and patch it. I was broke and already planned on getting new tires when I got paid next. Luckily he did so I could baby it for a few days or I would have driving on my donut the while time.

And OP get that thing replaced. It was nice of them to help out so you could get home but that's as far as you should have drove on it.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
And OP get that thing replaced. It was nice of them to help out so you could get home but that's as far as you should have drove on it.
This, 1000%

Experienced tire guys dismount and agree tire is ok to repair.

Forum of keyboard warriors offering to buy you a new tire because they want you safe.
I worked as a tire swapper as one of my first jobs in HS. ANY PUNCTURE TO THE SIDEWALL is not repairable.

Yes, sometimes we will do things in an emergency that we would otherwise not do. If you had not offered 50 dollars to the tech he would have sent you on your way.
I had a rod start knocking during a points race. The crew repaired it using crocus cloth and an over sized bearing while in the pits. It got me back in the race and we actually finished.

That is in no way a proper repair. In a pinch we do what we have to. That engine got rebuilt as soon as we got to the shop.

You should replace that tire before you get stranded or worse.

noac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Sir get a new tire ASAP. That tire should not have been repaired. You put yourself, others at risk.

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Experienced tire guys dismount and agree tire is ok to repair.

Forum of keyboard warriors offering to buy you a new tire because they want you safe.
Experienced tire guy according to who? I don't care how big the hole is on the inside. That sidewall is compromised and even an inexperienced tire guy can see that. This has nothing to do with being a keyboard warrior.

OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am going to Costco tomorrow; will see about getting a replacement. You guys got me convinced.

Sponsored

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
On my trip to Moyock NC to visit my son on Thanksgiving I had a flat. Took $75 to get it patched. It was Friday 5pm and all tire places were closing up or already closed. Found one place that stayed late when I offered up a fat tip. $25 patch, the rest was the tip.

690502083.jpg

690502136.jpg

690502653.jpg
I just hope the guy with the bloody cuticles and leathery knuckles got the $50, and the guy with the gloves paid it.

Cpcloud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT - 6MT
Glad you were able to get home but would 1000% replace, any hole in that area will compromise the structure of the tire

Tire blow outs are not fun and will certainly cause more damage to your car than the cost of a new tire. Just speaking from my experience

Stay safe!

OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want to report back to everyone that Costo will replace the tire.

I want to thank everyone for convincing me to replace it as I was hard headed and ignorant but proud of having the patch holding.

What I want to ask is will a full-size tire on a wheel fit inside the spare tire well? If so, I am thinking of canning my spare tire and carry a full size tire as spare. Used OEM 18 inch Black Machined 10157 is selling on eBay for $220ish free shipping.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I want to report back to everyone that Costo will replace the tire.

I want to thank everyone for convincing me to replace it as I was hard headed and ignorant but proud of having the patch holding.

What I want to ask is will a full-size tire on a wheel fit inside the spare tire well? If so, I am thinking of canning my spare tire and carry a full size tire as spare. Used OEM 18 inch Black Machined 10157 is selling on eBay for $220ish free shipping.
Hello; If a full sized wheel and tire will not fit you have a couple of options. You could do like Richard Rawlings and carry it on a luggage rack on top of the trunk. The other is get a big enough hammer and make it fit.
I ran over a large rock at 60MPH in a previous car which burst two tires, bent some stuff and damaged some new struts. I replaced the damaged stuff with new stuff including two replacement wheels. The old wheels were sound enough and held air with some new tires put on to get me by. I was able to take out the doughnut spare and fit in the full size wheel/tire. Diameter was not an issue, but width was. Stuck up out of the space further. But it worked.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I think the 18 is the tallest tire and they fit without a wheel, or rim.

The wider tires should fit but they will stick up and make your cover fit funny. Just get the spare tire kit. Saves a bunch of weight also.

Personally I use AAA or my car insurance road side assistance.
Sponsored