OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
OK. I have the Ford spare tire kit. Just don't like the idea of 50mph limit on it if regular tire goes bad unpatchable on a long trip.

I was expecting to be able to carry a full size tire with OEM wheel, like my Jeep Wrangler.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I think the 18 is the tallest tire and they fit without a wheel, or rim.

The wider tires should fit but they will stick up and make your cover fit funny. Just get the spare tire kit. Saves a bunch of weight also.

Personally I use AAA or my car insurance road side assistance.
Hello; I have AAA and have never tried to call them on the road. How long do you have to wait for them to show up?

OP
OP
thunderstrike

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
I had AAA for 24 years. I used it only ONCE for towing to a garage and it paid first 2 miles only. I cancelled it. I now have my insurance option for Emergency Road Service for just $20 every 6 months. I did have an occasion to tow my Audi A4 for 70 miles to a local Audi dealer, and my insurance fully reimbursed me the $220 towing cost. Too bad I kept AAA for 24 years before I wised up.

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
Hello; I have AAA and have never tried to call them on the road. How long do you have to wait for them to show up?
While I can't speak for AAA...in my experience it's forever when using insurance, FordPass, etc for roadside assistance. We have local tow service I've used that is much more responsive..

My wife had a tire go on her EcoSport, which has no spare or place for one. We called our insurance roadside support - and went through FordPass. This around 7PM - andFordPass suggested that around 2AM they'd have a truck to her. Insurance didn't;t get back to her in the time I met her, and limped the car a short distance to her Mother's. Our local tow guys were busy and we decided it was best to pick it up in the AM. What we would have done if not so close to her Mom's? I don't know. Thinking of buying a used wheel and tire for her car and just keeping it in the shed. I can always use a floor jack and air tank with impact if I have to.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I had AAA for 24 years. I used it only ONCE for towing to a garage and it paid first 2 miles only. I cancelled it. I now have my insurance option for Emergency Road Service for just $20 every 6 months. I did have an occasion to tow my Audi A4 for 70 miles to a local Audi dealer, and my insurance fully reimbursed me the $220 towing cost. Too bad I kept AAA for 24 years before I wised up.
Hello. I used AAA once. My car would not start when it was at home. Had to have it carried to a dealer about 60 miles away. They picked it up at the house. No charge.
Just never have been stranded on the road.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
While I can't speak for AAA...in my experience it's forever when using insurance, FordPass, etc for roadside assistance. We have local tow service I've used that is much more responsive..

My wife had a tire go on her EcoSport, which has no spare or place for one. We called our insurance roadside support - and went through FordPass. This around 7PM - andFordPass suggested that around 2AM they'd have a truck to her. Insurance didn't;t get back to her in the time I met her, and limped the car a short distance to her Mother's. Our local tow guys were busy and we decided it was best to pick it up in the AM. What we would have done if not so close to her Mom's? I don't know. Thinking of buying a used wheel and tire for her car and just keeping it in the shed. I can always use a floor jack and air tank with impact if I have to.
Hello; I shopped for a new Mustang until the Covid prices. My plan was to get a spare of some sort. I do not like cars without a spare.

MattMPA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT, 2016 Interceptor Utility, 2005 Excursion
Hello; I shopped for a new Mustang until the Covid prices. My plan was to get a spare of some sort. I do not like cars without a spare.
I got a spare for my '22 GT Premium. I too want a spare. The EcoSports overseas got a weird exterior tire carrier that my wife hates and won't have on the car.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I used them twice for roadside service. I waited about an hour both times. I have the extra or upgraded service it covers the whole tow bill. I pay nothing out of pocket. It was a free upgrade at the time I got it and as long as I renew every year it continues.

If you have a PP or HP model won't you need 2 spares?

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
We keep AAA on my wife's car. We also buy it for my grown daughter on her birthday each year. The thing is AAA can be used on cars other than their own. The daughter has called them when traveling with friends and their car broke down. Outside of renewal I've never received a bill for service or towing although I don't know what level of service my wife pays for. One or the other of them tend to call them a couple of times a year. It's a big load off my mind as I can't always get to them quickly nor do I always have tools with me.
As for wait times, those can vary widely. During a blizzard in Atlanta several years ago the news was reporting AAA wait times of 5+ hours. We've personally been quoted 90 minutes to two hours once on a weekend in the north Georgia mountains. On the other hand my daughter had to call them for a dead battery this past Saturday (black Friday weekend) and response time was 20 minutes or so. In short, location, weather, traffic, number of providers, etc can all affect your wait time and the swings in time can be quite large.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
OK. I have the Ford spare tire kit. Just don't like the idea of 50mph limit on it if regular tire goes bad unpatchable on a long trip.

I was expecting to be able to carry a full size tire with OEM wheel, like my Jeep Wrangler.
I have a full size spare in the trunk with a spare tire subwoofer sitting in it. Yes it sticks up a bit but the trunk is still usable. All my cars have had one for the last 45 years...

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
This, 1000%

I worked as a tire swapper as one of my first jobs in HS. ANY PUNCTURE TO THE SIDEWALL is not repairable.

Yes, sometimes we will do things in an emergency that we would otherwise not do. If you had not offered 50 dollars to the tech he would have sent you on your way.
I had a rod start knocking during a points race. The crew repaired it using crocus cloth and an over sized bearing while in the pits. It got me back in the race and we actually finished.

That is in no way a proper repair. In a pinch we do what we have to. That engine got rebuilt as soon as we got to the shop.

You should replace that tire before you get stranded or worse.
this is true. no way shape or form should a tire be driven long term. the fact they repaired it and you made it home, you should of saved the next trip to get new tire installed. don't keep on driving it, just because you can, does not mean you should.

dont do it. its not safe.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; This is a just for fun post. I looked out and saw a car on the shoulder of the main highway with the blinkers on a few minutes ago. Went out to see if i could help. A young guy with a dog, a cat and a pregnant wife had a flat tire on the back.
He needed a lug wrench as his was broken. I loaned him a four way. It was dark so i also waved at oncoming traffic while he changed the tire.
Two things of interest. It is a wet cool night in the low 40 degrees F and he was barefooted. He was coming from Mississippi to TN to go to his wife's mother. Almost made it. Just seven miles away.
The other thing is his doughnut spare did not fit the lugs. Close but no fit. He had just bought the car and somehow a wrong spare got thrown in.
Anyway, the mother showed up and he is driving slowly down the shoulder on the flat tire with the wife's mother behind.
For those of you who would never do such a thing, the tire was split on the sidewall and on the back. No AAA or anything. A poor kid in a bind. At least I got a lot of oncoming traffic to slow and move over by waving my light. No all by the way. Some AH's went by close at a highway clip.

Side track - What do you carry in a car during winter???

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
If you have a PP or HP model won't you need 2 spares?
Not necessarily. I got one for mine from Automotive Authority that is big enough to fit over the brembo brakes. I did a test fit and it fits the front just fine and should fit the rear no problem as well. It is a compact spare and fits in the well pretty good. It does stick up a little further and makes the trunk floor stick up just a little bit.

https://www.automotiveauthorityllc.com/collections/mustang-gt-spare-tire-1

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Lessons learned from this event: Bought me a better knee pads from Walmart, ones with heavy plastic shield for $12.99.
Exactly what are you doing while on your knees by the side of the road? 😅
Sponsored