bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
The suit is silly: manual transmissions can do some bad things but they do not slip, once a gear is engaged it is mechanically engaged to the shaft. Engagement is not harsh since the clutch should be disengaged while shifting.

The suit goes on: "The 88-page suit alleges issues with an affected Mustang’s transmission and clutch components can cause the car’s hydraulic systems to function improperly, which may lead to the decomposition or failure of critical parts throughout the transmission.."

The hydraulic systems? WTF?
Ford engineers may be incompetent (highly doubtful) but they did not design the MT-82. And the Borg-Warner (now Tremec) T5 was not a paragon of durability. Your MT-82 has problems and that sucks (and I hope it gets fixed soon) but it is not as widespread as this forum would have us think.
[/QUOTE]
You own an MT82 car ?
Sponsored

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so mine MT82 had a oil leak in it's second season though 2nd to 3rd lockouts were a fact since new. In it's 3rd season and 31 000 km's the clutch is hard and is due for replacement though by the looks of it the MT82 is fine. A friend of mine just bought a 38 000 km's 2017 MT82 car with after market clutch, metal clutch line, Barton Shifter. Car shift fine up to 4th and is grinding and not entering into 5th. So far we have 2 MT82's with problems. How not uncommon that problem is you guys say ?

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
did you ever shift past 5000 rpm ?
it's boosted and has a free flowing exhaust How do you think I drive it when I want to have some fun? When it was stock, I took it to 160 MPH. I grab gears all the time. Difference probably is that I been driving manuals since I was 12. I actually KNOW how to drive one. I don't/haven't experienced any of the problem like the "notchiness" or "high rpm lockout" none of that shit. Maybe I have a unicorn?

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
it's boosted and has a free flowing exhaust How do you think I drive it when I want to have some fun? When it was stock, I took it to 160 MPH. I grab gears all the time. Difference probably is that I been driving manuals since I was 12. I actually KNOW how to drive one. I don't/haven't experienced any of the problem like the "notchiness" or "high rpm lockout" none of that shit. Maybe I have a unicorn?
1630358208508.jpeg

Sponsored

Mark Arnold

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark Arnold
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT FN Mustang Manual
I was worried about that in my 2020 GT. However, after fitting the very inexpensive Steeda transmission bushing and changing the oil out for Castrol Syntax, it's now that much better. And, there's more. A mustang FN GT just one its class in basically a stock showroom spec 6 hour race at our gruelling 6.2 Km Bathurst circuit in Australia. I downloaded the rules for this car and this race, and was pleasantly surprised. Its homologation included the standard Getrag MT82. Suffice to say, cooling was free and legal, and that was added, but still. An interesting test!
1630358681433.png

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Honestly if I have a big problem with my MT-84D4. I'll just go grab a Magnum-XL and be done with it. I wonder when someone would make upgrades to the internals.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ok so mine MT82 had a oil leak in it's second season though 2nd to 3rd lockouts were a fact since new. In it's 3rd season and 31 000 km's the clutch is hard and is due for replacement though by the looks of it the MT82 is fine. A friend of mine just bought a 38 000 km's 2017 MT82 car with after market clutch, metal clutch line, Barton Shifter. Car shift fine up to 4th and is grinding and not entering into 5th. So far we have 2 MT82's with problems. How not uncommon that problem is you guys say ?
Being that you somehow used up the clutch in very few miles my belief is that you drive the car extremely hard or are otherwise doing something incorrectly.

What do you mean by "lockout"? My first thought is you missed a shift and you are blaming it on the transmission. Are you saying it never goes into 2nd or 3rd and you have to bypass those gears, or are you saying every once in a while when you are shifting quickly it doesn't go in on your first try?

I've had good luck with my MT-82 cars. I had my 2015 to the track, but I haven't been to the track with the 2017 yet.

Mark Arnold

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark Arnold
Vehicle(s)
I have to weigh in and say I have also never experienced this lockout issue. That's even during serious repeated launches trying to make it do it! I've been waiting for it. But. Hasn't happened.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Difference probably is that I been driving manuals since I was 12. I actually KNOW how to drive one. I don't/haven't experienced any of the problem like the "notchiness" or "high rpm lockout" none of that shit. Maybe I have a unicorn?
I'm guessing you are using some other clutch to handle the power ? Maybe also having a short trow shifter ?

I never driven an auto. I leave in Europe where driving a manual is a given. I don't have problems with notchiness I have just high rpm lockout between 2nd and 3rd. Last time from 4 passes the car did it in 2 and the other MT82 car on the strip (which I'm not driving) was doing the same. I'm guessing you are using some other clutch to handle the power ?

Being that you somehow used up the clutch in very few miles my belief is that you drive the car extremely hard or are otherwise doing something incorrectly.

What do you mean by "lockout"? My first thought is you missed a shift and you are blaming it on the transmission. Are you saying it never goes into 2nd or 3rd and you have to bypass those gears, or are you saying every once in a while when you are shifting quickly it doesn't go in on your first try?
2nd to 3rd gear lockout is highly documented all over this forum it means that when you are over 6000 rpm the trans is moving and sometimes you can hit the gate instead of the gear. This is usually solved with Barton (as is the only one that is mounted to the transmission and not to the body of the car). I do drive my car on the race track which obviously is having it's toll on the trans but it was doing that even before it's first track day. So I blame Ford for this. Ether way I was knowing what I was getting into when I bought an MT82 car but this was the only option in Europe for Grabber Blue. What I'm trying to say is that MT82 is known not good on a lot of cars. Sure it's fun trans but there is a reason why the High Performance Models (Mach 1, GT350) are getting a different trans.

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm guessing you are using some other clutch to handle the power ? Maybe also having a short trow shifter ?

I never driven an auto. I leave in Europe where driving a manual is a given. I don't have problems with notchiness I have just high rpm lockout between 2nd and 3rd. Last time from 4 passes the car did it in 2 and the other MT82 car on the strip (which I'm not driving) was doing the same. I'm guessing you are using some other clutch to handle the power ?

2nd to 3rd gear lockout is highly documented all over this forum it means that when you are over 6000 rpm the trans is moving and sometimes you can hit the gate instead of the gear. This is usually solved with Barton (as is the only one that is mounted to the transmission and not to the body of the car). I do drive my car on the race track which obviously is having it's toll on the trans but it was doing that even before it's first track day. So I blame Ford for this. Ether way I was knowing what I was getting into when I bought an MT82 car but this was the only option in Europe for Grabber Blue. What I'm trying to say is that MT82 is known not good on a lot of cars. Sure it's fun trans but there is a reason why the High Performance Models (Mach 1, GT350) are getting a different trans.
No - my transmission is 100% stock. It doesn't have any component changed. The extra power will probably just cause the clutch to fail earlier but so far so good. Honestly, when it was new I missed a gear ONCE. I didn't even bounce the limiter in that instance but one time. Very shitty and very scary. Since then it has shifted perfectly. Obviously hitting the top speed requires hitting the top of 4th. 6th with a 3.55 isn't even necessary for 160 MPH.

There are lots of speculation as to why some of these situations occur: One being the remote mount shifter. The Mach1 and the GT350 share an equally shitty TR3160 with a remote mount shifter. It may be good for stock power but the gears break down when boosted. This is why people go for the Magnum XL instead of the TR3160.

Mark Arnold

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark Arnold
Vehicle(s)

Mate. I guess one of my problems is that I am a
No - my transmission is 100% stock. It doesn't have any component changed. The extra power will probably just cause the clutch to fail earlier but so far so good. Honestly, when it was new I missed a gear ONCE. I didn't even bounce the limiter in that instance but one time. Very shitty and very scary. Since then it has shifted perfectly. Obviously hitting the top speed requires hitting the top of 4th. 6th with a 3.55 isn't even necessary for 160 MPH.

There are lots of speculation as to why some of these situations occur: One being the remote mount shifter. The Mach1 and the GT350 share an equally shitty TR3160 with a remote mount shifter. It may be good for stock power but the gears break down when boosted. This is why people go for the Magnum XL instead of the TR3160.
Mate. I guess one of the issues here is that I’m a former race car driver at reasonably high level. I’m only stating that as race car drivers, real ones, deal with their machinery and have mechanical sympathy. For that reason, I don’t think I’m having any issues.

Mark Arnold

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark Arnold
Vehicle(s)
Mate. I guess one of my problems is that I am a

Mate. I guess one of the issues here is that I’m a former race car driver at reasonably high level. I’m only stating that as race car drivers, real ones, deal with their machinery and have mechanical sympathy. For that reason, I don’t think I’m having any issues.
If you’re jamming into gears unrelentingly, somethings gunna give!

Mark Arnold

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark Arnold
Vehicle(s)
If you’re jamming into gears unrelentingly, somethings gunna give!
Sorry. And yes, I do have Ford Performance short shifter and Steeda gearbox bushing. The thing that really made a difference was the Castrol Stanx oil change out! Simple fix.
Sponsored