6spd manual durability

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I‘ve added several supporting mods to help improve the performance of my MT82-D4. Aside from having to replace the clutch, I’m trying my best to either minimize or eliminate any potential weak spots. So far, I have the transmission bushing insert, adjustable polyurethane motor mounts, Steeda Tri-Ax race shifter and soon, the Clutch Tamer - HitMaster" In-Line Hydraulic Clutch Hit Control System. I don't personally know of anyone with one on an S550 Mustang, but they aren’t vehicle specific, as the kit is universal. Many people say that the clutch accounts for a lot of the transmission’s shortcomings, so it’s my hope that I’ll be able to make it suit me perfectly.
Sponsored

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I have a '16 with the not upgraded MT-82 and it shift just fine. High quality tranny fluid does wonders for it. I mean a HUGE difference.

I've occasionally missed a gear while on track but that's more driver error. I recently upgraded to a Barton V.2 Shifter and its ultra precise now.

If you just want a street cruiser, the 10-Speed cars are fast AF.

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Very happy with my MT82D4 other than the ratios which a set of 4.09 gears would go a long way in solving. So far 12K miles and counting.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Based on the 4 or 5 manual cars I've owned over the years, the Mustang manual is perfectly fine. Absolutely zero issues with it. It's actually very smooth and enjoyable. No issues with missed shifts, but I think they fixed some of that on the 2018+ cars.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I haven’t had any real issues with mine yet, but on a few occasions, it has felt weird; like the brakes were being applied when I was trying to take off. No missed shifts yet, but I guess the real test will come once I start running it down the 1/4. I’ll probably learn a whole lot more about this particular tranny then.

Sponsored

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
My 18 is a little notchy, noisy, and doesn’t like the cold, but it doesn’t have any real issues. At temp it’s fine. I’ve always had T56 cars, so it’s a difference, but nothing drastic. Never been locked out or missed a shift, but It doesn’t live on the rev limiter.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I haven’t had any real issues with mine yet, but on a few occasions, it has felt weird; like the brakes were being applied when I was trying to take off. No missed shifts yet, but I guess the real test will come once I start running it down the 1/4. I’ll probably learn a whole lot more about this particular tranny then.
Sounds like hill assist was turned on.

rhexis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Audi S4, 2020 Mustang GT
ive only got 1800 miles on it so far but i have no issues with the transmission. the only thing i find different than my last manual, an e46 m3, is getting on it in 3rd and shifting to 4th the car feels like it surges or bucks a bit. maybe its the power i dont know but i havent been able to finesse it yet.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Anyway my question is it seems the 6spd manual is not very durable from what I’m reading. Lots of complaints about locking out gears.
BS - the much maligned MT-82 is fine. I had a first gen MT-82 in a 2011 GT w/ 3.73s that went >190K miles on the stock clutch and was still working great when I sold it. And I drive fast and aggressively. Sounds "very durable" to me.

My 19 has the "D4" version and works fine. Better the various T-56s I had (though those were good too).

Sponsored

Five_OhGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
'18 Ford Mustang GT Premium/'13 Ford Focus ST ST3
Vehicle Showcase
2018 GT with 25,000 miles on it, no issues with the transmission so far.

As the other commenters have said, it's not a refined transmission by any means, but it seems to be relatively robust.

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
I can't speak to durability since I only have 1300 miles on the car. I can say that it seems to be a very driveable transmission. Like others have said, the shifter is a bit notchy. Clutch engagement is smooth, I've never stalled it. Unlike my 2008 Infiniti G35. That clutch wasn't a clutch, it was an on-off switch.

I had similar reservations when I shopped for a Mustang. I heard all the horror stories about the MT-82 and took a deep breath and crossed my fingers when I finalized the factory order. So far no regrets.

I think a lot of the MT-82 bad rep comes from it being a "manual." If you rattle gears, blow a shift or smoke a clutch on a '66 MGB or VW Karmann Ghia it's all grins and giggles. Do that on a car with over 400 hp and 400 lb-ft torque and something might break.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I’m new to the Mustang world. Looking to purchase a 21’ Mustang GT Performance Pack Premium. Nobody in my area even has a 21’GT and said they can’t even order one.
Anyway my question is it seems the 6spd manual is not very durable from what I’m reading. Lots of complaints about locking out gears. Have they upgraded anything with the 21’ or the upcoming 22’ manual models or is it still the same as previous years?
I really like the videos of the 10spd autos. The shifts really seems to keep the car in the powerband
I have a 2017 GT with MT82 it leaked last season so had to pull it out and replace a lot of stuff on it. It have 2nd to 3rd lockouts but this seams to be clutch related car is at 31 000 km and around 14 track days and is now due for a clutch replacement as the pedal is hard and engagement is very high. Overall though the MT82 is fun to drive but you have to have in mind that MT82 is not rated for the power of the coyote at first place. And there is a reason why Ford sell a Coyote with a Tremac both in the Mach 1 and as a create engine trans combo. To be fair looks like the A10 is no good ether as I hear about a lot of replacements of A10's happening in my local dealer and not a lot of replacements on MT82's though in Europe we learn how to drive on manual cars.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
I agree with that. It would be nice to get the power of the later cars with the better gearing that the 2015-2017 versions have.
4.09 gears get you most of the way there. I'll probably be doing that eventually.

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
I have a 2017 GT with MT82 it leaked last season so had to pull it out and replace a lot of stuff on it. It have 2nd to 3rd lockouts but this seams to be clutch related car is at 31 000 km and around 14 track days and is now due for a clutch replacement as the pedal is hard and engagement is very high. Overall though the MT82 is fun to drive but you have to have in mind that MT82 is not rated for the power of the coyote at first place. And there is a reason why Ford sell a Coyote with a Tremac both in the Mach 1 and as a create engine trans combo. To be fair looks like the A10 is no good ether as I hear about a lot of replacements of A10's happening in my local dealer and not a lot of replacements on MT82's though in Europe we learn how to drive on manual cars.
My 2nd to 3rd lockouts at high RPM completely went away when I installed my MGW shifter. Almost certain it was happening due to transmission movement while the factory shifter was body mounted.
Sponsored